|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lena keep trying to figure out during Act 1?
(a) The order of where they've been.
(b) Why Boesman is so kind to her.
(c) Why the fire won't start.
(d) Where her dog has gone.
2. What does Lena say that the bread should have on it?
3. What is a pondok?
(a) A battlefield.
(b) A shack.
(c) A church.
(d) A prison.
4. What does Boesman complain that Lena does?
(a) Laughs constantly.
(b) Talks constantly.
(c) Is silent.
(d) Cries constantly.
5. What is Lena referring to when she says, "Take your sack, knock on some back doors and it's full in no time"?
6. What does Lena use to block the fire from the wind?
(a) The corrugated iron.
(b) The wine.
(c) A box.
7. Lena says, "When I want to cry, you want to" what?
8. What are "skelms"?
(a) White men.
(c) Black men.
9. What does Lena say that the tea is?
(a) Sweet and warm.
(c) Bitter and brown.
10. For what does Boesman say Lena almost broke her neck from looking behind her so much?
(a) Her cat.
(b) Her dog.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her son.
11. What does Lena say she'll do once she's got a new name?
(a) Become a nun.
(b) Stop singing.
(c) Leave Boesman.
(d) Give up dancing.
12. What does "Babalas" mean?
(c) Hysterical laughter.
(d) Drunken stupor.
13. What does Lena meet the memory of on the old roads?
(d) The dog.
14. How long did Lena's child live?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Two years.
15. What does "donnered" mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the white man do to Lena and Boesman's village?
2. What does Boesman do to prove Lena wrong in Act 1?
3. Which Afrikaan phrase means "soaking wet"?
4. What does Lena say that many of Outa's kind have given her and Boesman along the road?
5. How does Lena carry her belongings?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)