|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "kaalgat" mean?
2. What does Lena say that Boesman was this morning?
3. Where does Lena tell Outa they've come from?
4. What does Boesman say Lena will do when she's "had enough of this"?
(a) Find a man who loves her.
(b) Drown herself.
(c) Hang herself.
(d) Load up and walk somewhere else.
5. What does Lena use to block the fire from the wind?
(a) The corrugated iron.
(b) A box.
(d) The wine.
6. What does Lena say will happen to Boesman one day for beating her?
(a) She'll find another man.
(b) He'll be shot.
(c) He will fall apart.
(d) He'll be hanged.
7. What does Boesman forbid the old man to do?
(a) Go away.
(c) Sleep in the shack with them.
8. What does Lena say is "the scenery" of her world?
(a) Boesman's back.
(b) The children.
(c) The churches.
(d) The sky.
9. What does Boesman do with the piece of corrugated iron?
(a) Hits Lena.
(b) Makes a trap with it.
(c) Builds a lean-to.
(d) Uses it for the fire.
10. What does "oppas" mean?
(a) Look up.
(b) Here I am.
(c) Watch out.
(d) Stop talking.
11. What is "Swartkops?"
(a) A person.
(b) A gem.
(c) A building.
(d) A river.
12. What does "donnered" mean?
13. Fill in the blank: "Once you've put your _____ on your head and walked you never get light again."
14. How much were the bottles worth that were broken?
15. What does the Afrikaan word "maer" mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Lena's child live?
2. Who says, "I want my life. Where is it"?
3. What does Boesman do to the old man while Lena is looking for shelter materials?
4. What did Lena find when she went into the dark to find shelter materials?
5. What did the white man do to Lena and Boesman's village?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)