|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "Jou moer!"?
(a) An endearment.
(b) A sound of relief.
(c) A pleasant greeting.
(d) An obscenity.
2. What does Lena do after she says, "Maybe he sees us"?
3. What does Lena clean from her toes?
4. What does Boesman say that Outa will do?
(b) Bring the others.
(c) Steal their money.
(d) Kill them in the night.
5. Which male character in the play is referred to as "colored"?
6. What did Lena find when she went into the dark to find shelter materials?
(a) A few bottles.
(b) A few pieces of wood.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A piece of iron.
7. What does Lena ask Boesman for before making the fire?
(b) A dog.
(c) A dop.
(d) A washcloth.
8. How does Boesman carry his load?
(a) On his head.
(b) On a wagon.
(c) On his back.
(d) On his shoulders.
9. What does Lena say that the tea is?
(b) Bitter and brown.
(d) Sweet and warm.
10. What does the Afrikaan word "maer" mean?
11. What is a pondok?
(a) A prison.
(b) A shack.
(c) A church.
(d) A battlefield.
12. What does "oppas" mean?
(a) Look up.
(b) Here I am.
(c) Stop talking.
(d) Watch out.
13. What does Lena use to block the fire from the wind?
(b) A box.
(c) The corrugated iron.
(d) The wine.
14. What does Boesman say Lena will do when she's "had enough of this"?
(a) Hang herself.
(b) Drown herself.
(c) Find a man who loves her.
(d) Load up and walk somewhere else.
15. What happened before when Lena went to the police for Boesman beating her?
(a) They took her away.
(b) They didn't care.
(c) They tried to hang Boesman.
(d) They arrested Boesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lena give to Outa after he sits?
2. What does "vrot ou huisie vir die grot mens" mean?
3. What shoes are Lena and Boesman wearing?
4. What are "skelms"?
5. What does Lena keep trying to figure out during Act 1?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)