|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lena say will happen to Boesman one day for beating her?
(a) He'll be hanged.
(b) He will fall apart.
(c) He'll be shot.
(d) She'll find another man.
2. What does Lena say that Boesman gets when other people laugh at him beating her?
3. What is Lena referring to when she says, "Take your sack, knock on some back doors and it's full in no time"?
4. What did Lena ask the white family if they needed?
(a) A kitten.
(b) A blanket.
(c) Broken bottles.
(d) A maid.
5. Which character appears first in Act 1?
6. Who goes into the shelter at the end of Act 1?
7. What does Boesman go to check when he returns from getting shelter materials and Lena is happy?
(a) The wine bottles.
(b) The fire.
(c) The sky.
(d) The water bottles.
8. What is the translation for "dog" in Africaan?
9. What does Lena carry under her arm?
(b) A cooking pot.
(c) A mattress.
(d) A stove.
10. What shoes are Lena and Boesman wearing?
(d) Worn-out loafers.
11. What is "Jou moer!"?
(a) An endearment.
(b) An obscenity.
(c) A sound of relief.
(d) A pleasant greeting.
12. Who does Lena say Boesman worked for when they had a "real house"?
(a) A Chinaman.
(b) A colored family.
(c) A black couple.
(d) A white couple.
13. What does "kaalgat" mean?
14. What is the translation for "dop"?
(d) Drink (of liquor).
15. What does "Waar kry jy seer" mean?
(a) Where does it hurt?
(b) I need a rest.
(c) What are you doing tomorrow?
(d) I walked long yesterday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boesman tell Lena she should have done at the white family's house?
2. How does Lena carry her belongings?
3. What does Lena say that many of Outa's kind have given her and Boesman along the road?
4. What does Lena say that the tea is?
5. What does Boesman laugh at Lena for?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)