|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lena bribe Boesman with to let Outa stay?
2. What does Lena ask Boesman for before making the fire?
(a) A dop.
(c) A dog.
(d) A washcloth.
3. What name does Lena want to have?
4. What is Lena referring to when she says, "Take your sack, knock on some back doors and it's full in no time"?
5. What does Lena say that the bread should have on it?
6. What does Lena use to block the fire from the wind?
(a) The wine.
(c) The corrugated iron.
(d) A box.
7. What does Boesman say that Outa will do?
(a) Kill them in the night.
(c) Steal their money.
(d) Bring the others.
8. How long did Lena's child live?
(a) Six months.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
9. What is "Jou moer!"?
(a) A pleasant greeting.
(b) An endearment.
(c) A sound of relief.
(d) An obscenity.
10. What does the Afrikaan word "maer" mean?
11. Who says, "It won't last long, but it's big enough. Not much to see. This is all. This is mine"?
12. Where does Lena tell Outa they've come from?
13. What did the white man do to Lena and Boesman's village?
(a) Looted it.
(b) Raided it.
(c) Flooded it.
(d) Bulldozed it.
14. What does Lena say there's never enough of to sleep at night?
15. Fill in the blank: "Once you've put your _____ on your head and walked you never get light again."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "Swartkops?"
2. Which male character in the play is referred to as "colored"?
3. Which Afrikaan phrase means "soaking wet"?
4. Who chased Boesman and Lena off their land?
5. What language does Outa speak?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)