|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Boesman do to the old man while Lena is looking for shelter materials?
(a) Shoves him off his seat.
(b) Hugs him.
(c) Gives him wine.
(d) Gives him water.
2. What does the Afrikaan word "maer" mean?
3. Who says, "I want my life. Where is it"?
4. What did Lena ask the white family if they needed?
(a) A blanket.
(b) Broken bottles.
(c) A maid.
(d) A kitten.
5. What happened before when Lena went to the police for Boesman beating her?
(a) They tried to hang Boesman.
(b) They arrested Boesman.
(c) They took her away.
(d) They didn't care.
6. What does Lena say that Boesman was this morning?
7. What does Lena say she hates in the beginning of Act 1?
(a) The clouds.
(b) The bats.
(c) The birds.
(d) The sky.
8. What does Boesman tell Lena she should have done at the white family's house?
(a) Borrowed their clothes.
(b) Burned down the house.
(c) Gone with them.
(d) Killed them.
9. Where does Lena tell Outa they've come from?
10. Why did Boesman beat Lena this morning?
(a) For dropping bottles.
(b) For walking too slow.
(c) For dropping biscuits.
(d) For chasing the dog.
11. What does "vrot ou huisie vir die grot mens" mean?
(a) Another roadside attraction.
(b) Another rotten house for rotten people.
(c) Another homeless man.
(d) A way home.
12. What does Lena look up at when she and Boesman sit in Act 1?
(a) The bats.
(b) The birds.
(c) The clouds.
(d) The rainbow.
13. What does "Babalas" mean?
(b) Drunken stupor.
(d) Hysterical laughter.
14. What does Lena use to block the fire from the wind?
(a) The wine.
(c) A box.
(d) The corrugated iron.
15. What does Lena say about Boesman's heart?
(a) It's broken.
(b) It's empty.
(c) It's cowardly.
(d) It's strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Afrikaan phrase means "soaking wet"?
2. Who says, "You don't like it when somebody else laughs. Well, you laughed at me for nothing"?
3. For what does Boesman say Lena almost broke her neck from looking behind her so much?
4. How much were the bottles worth that were broken?
5. What does Boesman do to prove Lena wrong in Act 1?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)