|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What particular claim in Mr. Weisfeld's legal documents brings Claude out of his depression over Mr. Weisfeld's death?
2. What does Frescobaldi make Claude play at their first meeting before they go to lunch?
3. What does Claude learn when he returns a call from Otto Levits?
4. Where is the party at which Claude plays the piano for Lady's friends?
5. How are Lady and Catherine Fisk related?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Body and Soul, we learn a great deal about Claude Rawlings. 1) List four adjectives that describe Claude's personality. Include an example from the story to explain each adjective. 2) What is a value or belief Claude has? 3) How does he act on this value or belief? 4) How does Claude change as the book progresses? 5) What causes Claude to change?
Essay Topic 2
At what two or three points in the story is the tension highest? Lowest? How does the author create the highest and lowest degrees of tension? Are the situations which involve tension appropriate to the plot structure? Why or why not? Does Body and Soul as a whole seem high- or low-tension? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do the setting, characterization, and point of view influence the theme of the individual vs. society in Body and Soul?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)