|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claude get from the train station to the Powers' home?
2. How does Claude feel when he first sees Catherine in London?
3. When Lady tells Senator Barnes her decision regarding his advice about her parents, how does he feel?
4. As they wait for Frescobaldi's plane to London, what does Frescobaldi give advice to Claude about?
5. What does Mr. Weisfeld talk to Claude about the night before Mr. Weisfeld dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do forces outside his control influence Claude's outcome at the end of Body and Soul? Are these influences positive, negative, or indifferent? Give examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Which part of Body and Soul comes alive for you. That is, in which part do you feel that what is happening to the characters is vicariously happening to you? Why? How does the author do this? Are you immediately drawn into the story, or does it take a while? Why? Does the book intrigue, amuse, disturb, alienate, or irritate you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is stronger in Body and Soul--plot development or character development? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer. Do you think the author does this intentionally? Why or why not?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)