|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Claude fight the city government when it wants to tear down the building housing the music store?
2. How are Lady and Catherine Fisk related?
3. How many years does the story skip between the end of Chapter 13 in Part 1 and the beginning of Chapter 14 in Part 2?
4. Why can Senator Barnes help Claude and Lady with adoption?
5. What is Lady's reaction to Claude's constant practicing to prepare for his performances with Frescobaldi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the setting, characterization, and point of view influence the theme of the individual vs. society in Body and Soul?
Essay Topic 2
Which part of Body and Soul comes alive for you. That is, in which part do you feel that what is happening to the characters is vicariously happening to you? Why? How does the author do this? Are you immediately drawn into the story, or does it take a while? Why? Does the book intrigue, amuse, disturb, alienate, or irritate you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Several components of quality literature include: 1) use of descriptive words 2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes, and other figurative language 3) an attention-grabbing beginning 4) details 5) appealing to the five senses. Is Body and Soul an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)