|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Claude to Mr. Levits, a talent manager?
2. What is the result of Claude's performance when he fills in for the pianist?
3. What is Mr. Larkin's position at a college named Cadbury?
4. What adjective describes Claude's feelings when he learns that Catherine has eloped?
5. What type of person is Catherine, Mrs. Fisk's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claude demonstrate drive and fortitude in his preparation to play with Mr. Fredericks at the music festival?
2. Why doesn't Claude understand why Mr. and Mrs. Powers treat him the way they do?
3. Why does Lady respond the way she does to Claude's single-minded focus on preparing for the concert with Aldo Frescobaldi?
4. When Claude learns about Mr. Weisfeld's life before he came to the United States, why does Claude feel guilty and irritated with himself?
5. What evidence shows the eccentric and flamboyant behavior of Aldo Frescobaldi, the violinist whom Claude accompanies?
6. What is the reader led to believe about Claude because Emma does not reveal any concrete information about Claude's father?
7. What evidence is there that Claude does not relate well to children, especially regarding the movies and Catherine Marsh?
8. While Lady and Claude live in the townhome in Manhattan, what do we learn about Lady from her jobs and activities, and her attitude toward Claude after Mr. Weisfeld dies?
9. What do we learn about Claude as his life as a six-year-old is described?
10. When Mr. Weisfeld, Mr. Levits, Claude, and Emma meet in Mr. Larkin's office, what plans emerge regarding Claude's musical career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name a character, other than the main characters, who is important to the story. Why is the character important? Could the story have been written without this character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is stronger in Body and Soul--plot development or character development? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer. Do you think the author does this intentionally? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a situation in the story in which Claude acted in a way you disagree with. Describe the situation. Why does Claude act this way? What are the consequences of his actions? Why do you disagree with Claude's reaction to the situation? How would you have reacted? Why?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)