|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Fredericks live?
2. What is Claude's goal when he plays with Mr. Fredericks at the music festival?
3. What is the status of Emma's job when she returns to New York City after being questioned about communist activities?
4. Why does Emma return to New York City during the questioning process about her suspected communist activities?
5. Where does Claude discover an old piano?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Weisfeld send Claude to various piano instructors?
2. What do we learn about Emma from her involvement with the secret customers she transports in the middle of the night?
3. Before the performance at Carnegie Hall with Aldo Frescobaldi when Mr. Weisfeld visits Claude in his dressing room, what does Claude's frame of mind show about him?
4. How do young Claude and adults seem to relate to each other?
5. How does the time period during which the story begins explain Emma's job?
6. Why does Lady respond the way she does to Claude's single-minded focus on preparing for the concert with Aldo Frescobaldi?
7. Contrast Peter Fisk's feeling for music with Claude's feeling for music.
8. Why does Mr. Weisfeld panic when Claude awakens him at four o'clock in the morning to share his new composition?
9. What is the reason for Claude's choice when he decides between staying in London with Catherine or returning to America to work?
10. What is Claude's reaction to the growing relationship between his mother and Al Johnson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is stronger in Body and Soul--plot development or character development? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer. Do you think the author does this intentionally? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is the social class and occupation of each character important? How does the economic, political, and social environment affect the lives of Emma and Claude and Lady Powers? Give examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What distinguishing characteristics of Frank Conroy's writing style would help you to identify other works by him? Would you consider Frank Conroy's style to have individuality? Why or why not?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)