|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Claude sit in relation to the other children in the children's section of the movie theater?
2. Who introduces Claude to Mr. Levits, a talent manager?
3. Where in the building is the apartment in which Claude lives with his mother?
4. Whom does Catherine confide in before she leaves to elope?
5. Why does Mrs. Fisk buy an instrument for Catherine in the music store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Catherine's attitude toward Claude changed from when they were children?
2. Why is driving a cab an unusual choice of work for Emma, Claude's mother?
3. When Claude learns about Mr. Weisfeld's life before he came to the United States, why does Claude feel guilty and irritated with himself?
4. How does Claude demonstrate drive and fortitude in his preparation to play with Mr. Fredericks at the music festival?
5. How is Lady representative of the young people from the higher social classes?
6. Why is Claude's intimate encounter with Eva, a violinist at the music festival, important to Claude, especially in terms of Catherine Fisk?
7. Compare Claude's experience on Christmas at the Powers' with his experience the same day at the Fisk's.
8. Why does Mr. Weisfeld panic when Claude awakens him at four o'clock in the morning to share his new composition?
9. Compare the effect Claude's piano playing has on him with the effect Emma's letter-writing on the typewriter has on her.
10. Although Catherine's life is radically different from her life as a child, how does she view her life as it is now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is stronger in Body and Soul--plot development or character development? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer. Do you think the author does this intentionally? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is the social class and occupation of each character important? How does the economic, political, and social environment affect the lives of Emma and Claude and Lady Powers? Give examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Frank Conroy choose Body and Soul for the title of the novel? 1) Give examples from the book that explain the title. 2) Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not? 3) If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)