|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Catherine confide in before she leaves to elope?
2. What is Claude's physique as a young boy?
3. What movie particularly interests Claude because of its story line, which he relates to his life?
4. Who tells Claude that Catherine has eloped?
5. Why does Claude rush from the basement of Mr. Weisfeld's music store to Mr. Weisfeld's apartment upstairs in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What generalization can be made about the Fisk family's approach to fads or trends?
2. How do Mr. and Mrs. Powers treat Claude?
3. Regarding the music store, how does Claude show his love for Mr. Weisfeld after Mr. Weisfeld's death?
4. How does Mr. Powers react to Claude's choice of career?
5. When Mr. Weisfeld, Mr. Levits, Claude, and Emma meet in Mr. Larkin's office, what plans emerge regarding Claude's musical career?
6. What do movies and music provide for Claude?
7. How does Claude demonstrate drive and fortitude in his preparation to play with Mr. Fredericks at the music festival?
8. What does Catherine Fisk tell Claude when he asks her why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer?
9. Summarize the pivotal events which occur in Claude's life from the time Mr. Fredericks asks Claude to play at a music festival with him to the time he meets Mr. Larkin, who is on a college scholarship committee.
10. How has Catherine's attitude toward Claude changed from when they were children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do forces outside his control influence Claude's outcome at the end of Body and Soul? Are these influences positive, negative, or indifferent? Give examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Body and Soul have a common appeal through its theme, plot, and characters? Describe a conflict, theme, or issue that is common to all people. Give examples from the story and current events to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Determine what you think is the primary theme of this book, and why. Be sure to use specific examples from the book as evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)