|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Claude keep the Bechstein piano left to him by the maestro in his apartment?
2. Why is the location of the apartment in which Claude lives with his mother important?
3. According to Emma, what happens to Claude's father?
4. How does Catherine treat Claude at the Bentley School dance?
5. Who tells Claude that Catherine has eloped?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the effect Claude's piano playing has on him with the effect Emma's letter-writing on the typewriter has on her.
2. What do movies and music provide for Claude?
3. What evidence shows the eccentric and flamboyant behavior of Aldo Frescobaldi, the violinist whom Claude accompanies?
4. Why does it bother Claude to play boogie-woogie on the piano at a party given by one of Lady's friends?
5. What is Claude's reaction to the growing relationship between his mother and Al Johnson?
6. Why does Mr. Weisfeld send Claude to various piano instructors?
7. What does Catherine Fisk tell Claude when he asks her why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer?
8. What does Catherine Fisk's response to Claude's question about why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer tell us about her?
9. How does Mr. Powers react to Claude's choice of career?
10. Aside from music lessons and accessories, what does Claude acquire from Mr. Weisfeld's music store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What distinguishing characteristics of Frank Conroy's writing style would help you to identify other works by him? Would you consider Frank Conroy's style to have individuality? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At what two or three points in the story is the tension highest? Lowest? How does the author create the highest and lowest degrees of tension? Are the situations which involve tension appropriate to the plot structure? Why or why not? Does Body and Soul as a whole seem high- or low-tension? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What clues or hints does the author provide that help prepare you for the ending of the story? Do you think these clues are important as you read the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)