|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Claude to a piano performance at Carnegie Hall?
2. What does Claude do with the school accessory he finds under his seat at the movies?
3. What happens when Emma receives occasional phone calls during the night?
4. Where does Claude discover an old piano?
5. What does Claude ask Catherine to do in a letter he sends her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Regarding the music store, how does Claude show his love for Mr. Weisfeld after Mr. Weisfeld's death?
2. When Claude learns about Mr. Weisfeld's life before he came to the United States, why does Claude feel guilty and irritated with himself?
3. How does a chance discovery at the movies affect Claude's future?
4. How does the time period during which the story begins explain Emma's job?
5. What is Claude's reaction to the growing relationship between his mother and Al Johnson?
6. How does Mr. Powers react to Claude's choice of career?
7. How is Lady representative of the young people from the higher social classes?
8. How does Aldo Frescobaldi's relationship with Claude affect Claude?
9. How does Mr. Weisfeld help Claude deal with Mr. and Mrs. Powers?
10. How does the experience with the FBI affect Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is stronger in Body and Soul--plot development or character development? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer. Do you think the author does this intentionally? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How are the author's writing style and point of view connected in Body and Soul? Give examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three events from the story which would be most unlikely to occur in real life. Give examples from the story to show how the realistic possibility of these events is achieved in the story.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)