|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Mr. Weisfeld attend Claude's debut performance at the music festival?
2. What adjective could be used to describe Claude's life before he goes to school?
3. Who introduces Claude to Mr. Levits, a talent manager?
4. Regarding Claude's father, what does Emma ask Claude not to do?
5. Where is Emma taken for questioning about her suspected communist activities?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Lady and Claude live in the townhome in Manhattan, what do we learn about Lady from her jobs and activities, and her attitude toward Claude after Mr. Weisfeld dies?
2. What is the reason for Claude's choice when he decides between staying in London with Catherine or returning to America to work?
3. How does Mr. Weisfeld help Claude deal with Mr. and Mrs. Powers?
4. How does Mr. Powers react to Claude's choice of career?
5. Why doesn't Claude understand why Mr. and Mrs. Powers treat him the way they do?
6. How does the experience with the FBI affect Emma?
7. Why does Lady respond the way she does to Claude's single-minded focus on preparing for the concert with Aldo Frescobaldi?
8. What do we learn about Emma from her involvement with the secret customers she transports in the middle of the night?
9. How has Mrs. Powers changed regarding her feelings toward Claude?
10. What do movies and music provide for Claude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What distinguishing characteristics of Frank Conroy's writing style would help you to identify other works by him? Would you consider Frank Conroy's style to have individuality? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What clues or hints does the author provide that help prepare you for the ending of the story? Do you think these clues are important as you read the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a situation in the story in which Claude acted in a way you disagree with. Describe the situation. Why does Claude act this way? What are the consequences of his actions? Why do you disagree with Claude's reaction to the situation? How would you have reacted? Why?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)