|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Claude spend a great deal of time at the festival when he is not practicing or performing?
2. How does Catherine treat Claude at the Bentley School dance?
3. Whom does Catherine confide in before she leaves to elope?
4. What is the result after Claude studies the Schoenberg twelve-tone system?
5. Who arranges for Claude to practice on a grand piano in the home of a famous retired maestro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What turning point in Claude's musical career results from his successful performance with Mr. Fredericks at the music festival?
2. What disadvantage does Claude face as he enters high society?
3. Why is Claude's intimate encounter with Eva, a violinist at the music festival, important to Claude, especially in terms of Catherine Fisk?
4. How has Catherine's attitude toward Claude changed from when they were children?
5. At the music festival, how does a pianist's stage fright benefit Claude?
6. Why does Mr. Weisfeld send Claude to various piano instructors?
7. What do movies and music provide for Claude?
8. How does the time period during which the story begins explain Emma's job?
9. Although Catherine's life is radically different from her life as a child, how does she view her life as it is now?
10. What does Claude realize about Mr. Weisfeld's feelings for him only after Mr. Weisfeld dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Body and Soul, we learn a great deal about Claude Rawlings. 1) List four adjectives that describe Claude's personality. Include an example from the story to explain each adjective. 2) What is a value or belief Claude has? 3) How does he act on this value or belief? 4) How does Claude change as the book progresses? 5) What causes Claude to change?
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature include: 1) use of descriptive words 2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes, and other figurative language 3) an attention-grabbing beginning 4) details 5) appealing to the five senses. Is Body and Soul an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What distinguishing characteristics of Frank Conroy's writing style would help you to identify other works by him? Would you consider Frank Conroy's style to have individuality? Why or why not?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)