|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the status of Emma's job when she returns to New York City after being questioned about communist activities?
(a) Her cab has been impounded by the police.
(b) She has been fired.
(c) Her hours have been drastically cut.
(d) Her cab driver's license has been suspended.
2. What is the Schoenberg twelve-tone system?
(a) An emergency alert system.
(b) A metronome.
(c) A new type of piano.
(d) A method of music composition.
3. Why does Claude begin to go to the movies?
(a) He likes a girl who works there.
(b) His friends convince him to go.
(c) To hear the music played with the movie.
(d) As a diversion.
4. What instrument does Peter Fisk play?
5. What adjective describes the opinion of Claude's music instructors at the Bentley School regarding Claude's talent?
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie particularly interests Claude because of its story line, which he relates to his life?
2. Who arranges for Claude to practice on a grand piano in the home of a famous retired maestro?
3. After his first performance at the music festival, how many times will Claude have played in front of an audience?
4. Who tells Claude that Catherine has eloped?
5. With whom does Claude spend a great deal of time at the festival when he is not practicing or performing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for Claude's choice when he decides between staying in London with Catherine or returning to America to work?
2. Why doesn't Claude understand why Mr. and Mrs. Powers treat him the way they do?
3. What do we learn about Mr. Powers when he has Claude's past investigated?
4. What is Claude's reaction to the growing relationship between his mother and Al Johnson?
5. While Lady and Claude live in the townhome in Manhattan, what do we learn about Lady from her jobs and activities, and her attitude toward Claude after Mr. Weisfeld dies?
6. Why is Claude's friendship with Ivan Andrews an important relationship?
7. What does Catherine Fisk tell Claude when he asks her why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer?
8. What do movies and music provide for Claude?
9. Regarding the music store, how does Claude show his love for Mr. Weisfeld after Mr. Weisfeld's death?
10. What does Catherine Fisk's response to Claude's question about why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer tell us about her?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)