|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What movie particularly interests Claude because of its story line, which he relates to his life?
(a) A Raisin in the Sun.
(b) A Place in the Sun.
(c) A Summer Place.
(d) Island in the Sun.
2. What kind of student is Claude in school?
3. What adjective describes Claude's feelings when he learns that Catherine has eloped?
4. Why does the Fisk housekeeper give Claude the item while he waits for Catherine to go to the dance?
(a) To help him relax.
(b) As a warning.
(c) As a sign of friendship.
(d) For good luck.
5. Who keeps Claude company after his mother goes to bed when she comes home from work?
(a) No one.
(b) Claude's father.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) The building custodian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Weisfeld react when Claude rushes from the basement of the music store and wakes Mr. Weisfeld in his apartment in the middle of the night?
2. Why does Claude dress in a suit and tie for his first session accompanying Peter Fisk at the Fisk home?
3. Where does Claude sit in relation to the other children in the children's section of the movie theater?
4. What does Claude notice about his mother since Al Johnson is spending more time with her?
5. Where is the home of the maestro who allows Claude to practice on his grand piano?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Weisfeld panic when Claude awakens him at four o'clock in the morning to share his new composition?
2. What does Catherine Fisk's response to Claude's question about why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer tell us about her?
3. Compare the effect Claude's piano playing has on him with the effect Emma's letter-writing on the typewriter has on her.
4. How is Lady's lack of drive and ambition a disadvantage in understanding Claude's life?
5. What gifts and benefits in Claude's life does Mr. Fredericks urge Claude to appreciate?
6. What is the reader led to believe about Claude because Emma does not reveal any concrete information about Claude's father?
7. Although Catherine's life is radically different from her life as a child, how does she view her life as it is now?
8. What do movies and music provide for Claude?
9. Why is Claude confused by Mr. Powers' reaction to Claude's choice of career?
10. Compare Claude's experience on Christmas at the Powers' with his experience the same day at the Fisk's.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)