|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of person is Catherine, Mrs. Fisk's daughter?
2. What kind of student is Claude in school?
3. What business arrangement does Claude enter into with Al Johnson, a maintenance man?
(a) They split the money from collecting soda bottles in the garbage.
(b) Claude helps Al with custodial work.
(c) They sell cleaning supplies.
(d) Claude plays the piano while Al plays the saxophone on a street corner.
4. What does Claude do with the school accessory he finds under his seat at the movies?
(a) Returns it to its owner.
(b) Keeps it for himself.
(c) Sells it.
(d) Throws it away.
5. Where does Claude discover an old piano?
(a) In a storage room in his apartment building.
(b) Beneath the stairs leading to the first floor of his apartment building.
(c) In a room in his apartment.
(d) On the sidewalk in front of his apartment building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie particularly interests Claude because of its story line, which he relates to his life?
2. What does Claude decide to do regarding the intimate relationship that has developed between his mother and Al Johnson?
3. Who do Claude and Emma discover belongs to the Communist Party?
4. Whom does Catherine confide in before she leaves to elope?
5. Why does Claude need to fill in for a pianist who is supposed to perform at the music festival?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mr. Weisfeld, Mr. Levits, Claude, and Emma meet in Mr. Larkin's office, what plans emerge regarding Claude's musical career?
2. How do young Claude and adults seem to relate to each other?
3. Compare Claude's experience on Christmas at the Powers' with his experience the same day at the Fisk's.
4. How does Mr. Weisfeld help Claude deal with Mr. and Mrs. Powers?
5. After Mr. Powers has Claude's past investigated, what information does Emma give Claude about his father?
6. What does Catherine Fisk tell Claude when he asks her why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer?
7. Before the performance at Carnegie Hall with Aldo Frescobaldi when Mr. Weisfeld visits Claude in his dressing room, what does Claude's frame of mind show about him?
8. How does the time period during which the story begins explain Emma's job?
9. What turning point in Claude's musical career results from his successful performance with Mr. Fredericks at the music festival?
10. What is the reason for Claude's choice when he decides between staying in London with Catherine or returning to America to work?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)