|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Regarding Claude's father, what does Emma ask Claude not to do?
(a) Tell anyone about him.
(b) Send letters to him.
(c) Ask about him.
(d) Look for him.
2. When Claude arrives at the music store one afternoon, who is Mr. Fredericks talking with about asking Claude to play at a music festival?
(a) Ivan Andrews.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld.
(c) Al Johnson.
(d) Claude's mother.
3. Where is Emma taken for questioning about her suspected communist activities?
(a) Albany, NY.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) West Point, NY.
(d) Williamsburg, VA.
4. Even though Peter's playing is basic and unspirited, why does Claude enjoy accompanying him?
(a) Because he is getting needed experience.
(b) Because he has a chance to talk to Mr. Fisk about Emma.
(c) Because he is near Catherine.
(d) Because he can impress the famous musician who frequently observes the sessions.
5. During what era does Body and Soul begin?
(a) During the Jazz Age.
(b) Pre World War I.
(c) Post World War II.
(d) During the Great Depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claude decide to do regarding the intimate relationship that has developed between his mother and Al Johnson?
2. Where does Claude discover an old piano?
3. What is the result of Claude's performance when he fills in for the pianist?
4. Who introduces Claude to Mr. Levits, a talent manager?
5. What adjective describes the opinion of Claude's music instructors at the Bentley School regarding Claude's talent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lady respond the way she does to Claude's single-minded focus on preparing for the concert with Aldo Frescobaldi?
2. At the music festival, how does a pianist's stage fright benefit Claude?
3. Why is driving a cab an unusual choice of work for Emma, Claude's mother?
4. Why is Claude's friendship with Ivan Andrews an important relationship?
5. How does Mr. Weisfeld's influence on Claude help Claude cope with Catherine Fisk's attitude toward him?
6. Why does Mr. Weisfeld panic when Claude awakens him at four o'clock in the morning to share his new composition?
7. What does Catherine Fisk tell Claude when he asks her why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer?
8. Compare Claude's experience on Christmas at the Powers' with his experience the same day at the Fisk's.
9. What do we learn about Mr. Powers when he has Claude's past investigated?
10. How does the time period during which the story begins explain Emma's job?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)