|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Claude get from New York state to the state in which the music festival is held?
(b) He drives himself.
(d) His mother drives him in her taxi.
2. After his first performance at the music festival, how many times will Claude have played in front of an audience?
(a) One hundred.
3. What instrument does Peter Fisk play?
4. Who arranges for Claude to practice on a grand piano in the home of a famous retired maestro?
(a) Claude's father.
(b) Claude's mother.
(c) Al Johnson.
(d) Mr. Weisfeld.
5. What is Claude's initial reaction when he discovers his mother and Al Johnson have developed a more intimate relationship?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He feels betrayed.
(c) He is overjoyed.
(d) He is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claude need to fill in for a pianist who is supposed to perform at the music festival?
2. Who is the composer of the Double Concerto that Mr. Fredericks wants Claude to play at the music festival?
3. What is Claude able to do now that he works in Mr. Weisfeld's music store?
4. Why can't Mr. Weisfeld attend Claude's debut performance at the music festival?
5. What adjective describes Claude's feelings when he learns that Catherine has eloped?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mr. and Mrs. Powers treat Claude?
2. Compare Claude's experience on Christmas at the Powers' with his experience the same day at the Fisk's.
3. How does Mr. Powers react to Claude's choice of career?
4. What do we learn about Mr. Powers when he has Claude's past investigated?
5. What is the importance of the seats Emma and Claude's real father choose to sit in and watch his performance, even though they have not been in contact for many years?
6. How does Mr. Weisfeld help Claude deal with Mr. and Mrs. Powers?
7. Before the performance at Carnegie Hall with Aldo Frescobaldi when Mr. Weisfeld visits Claude in his dressing room, what does Claude's frame of mind show about him?
8. What is the reader led to believe about Claude because Emma does not reveal any concrete information about Claude's father?
9. While Lady and Claude live in the townhome in Manhattan, what do we learn about Lady from her jobs and activities, and her attitude toward Claude after Mr. Weisfeld dies?
10. What does Catherine Fisk tell Claude when he asks her why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)