|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Claude discover an old piano?
(a) In a room in his apartment.
(b) Beneath the stairs leading to the first floor of his apartment building.
(c) In a storage room in his apartment building.
(d) On the sidewalk in front of his apartment building.
2. How does Claude come to accompany Peter Fisk as he plays?
(a) Claude wants to talk to Mr. Fisk about Emma.
(b) Mrs. Fisk hires Claude.
(c) Claude and Peter are best friends.
(d) Claude needs the experience.
3. What organization suspects Emma of communist activities?
4. How does Claude feel about sitting in the children's section of the movie theater?
5. Whom does Catherine confide in before she leaves to elope?
(a) No one.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Claude's mother.
(d) Peter Fisk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What used to be in the room that Peter Fisk shows Claude while he waits to go to the dance with Catherine?
2. What is the status of Emma's job when she returns to New York City after being questioned about communist activities?
3. Why does Claude want to attend a regular university instead of a musical conservatory?
4. What does Claude decide to do regarding the intimate relationship that has developed between his mother and Al Johnson?
5. What instrument does Peter Fisk play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mr. and Mrs. Powers treat Claude?
2. Why does it bother Claude to play boogie-woogie on the piano at a party given by one of Lady's friends?
3. What does Catherine Fisk's response to Claude's question about why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer tell us about her?
4. Regarding the music store, how does Claude show his love for Mr. Weisfeld after Mr. Weisfeld's death?
5. What does Claude realize about Mr. Weisfeld's feelings for him only after Mr. Weisfeld dies?
6. What does Catherine Fisk tell Claude when he asks her why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer?
7. How does a chance discovery at the movies affect Claude's future?
8. How is the title reflected in Claude's experience of hearing the orchestra play his composition in London?
9. Why doesn't Claude understand why Mr. and Mrs. Powers treat him the way they do?
10. While Lady and Claude live in the townhome in Manhattan, what do we learn about Lady from her jobs and activities, and her attitude toward Claude after Mr. Weisfeld dies?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)