|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr.Weisfeld want to ask Emma when he visits Claude after not seeing him for a week?
(a) He wants to ask if Claude can live with him and his wife.
(b) He wants to ask if he can give Claude advanced piano lessons.
(c) He wants to ask if Emma can drive Claude to a professional studio.
(d) He wants to ask if Emma will work for him giving piano lessons.
2. Who arranges for Claude to practice on a grand piano in the home of a famous retired maestro?
(a) Mr. Weisfeld.
(b) Claude's mother.
(c) Claude's father.
(d) Al Johnson.
3. With whom does Claude spend a great deal of time at the festival when he is not practicing or performing?
(a) Eva, a violinist.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld.
(c) The pianist whom he filled in for.
(d) Mr. Fredericks.
4. When does Claude receive a telegram that Mr. Weisfeld cannot attend Claude's debut performance at the music festival?
(a) The day before the performance.
(b) Hours before his performance.
(c) Just as he is to walk onstage.
(d) During the intermission of his performance.
5. Where does Claude sit in relation to the other children in the children's section of the movie theater?
(a) As far away from them as possible.
(b) He sits in the most crowded part.
(c) He waits until someone invites him to sit.
(d) He sits just on the edge of the crowd of children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the driver drop off Claude after the dance?
2. Why is the location of the apartment in which Claude lives with his mother important?
3. Who keeps Claude company after his mother goes to bed when she comes home from work?
4. What is Mr. Larkin's position at a college named Cadbury?
5. Why can't Mr. Weisfeld attend Claude's debut performance at the music festival?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lady representative of the young people from the higher social classes?
2. What is the reader led to believe about Claude because Emma does not reveal any concrete information about Claude's father?
3. What gifts and benefits in Claude's life does Mr. Fredericks urge Claude to appreciate?
4. Why doesn't Claude understand why Mr. and Mrs. Powers treat him the way they do?
5. When Claude learns about Mr. Weisfeld's life before he came to the United States, why does Claude feel guilty and irritated with himself?
6. What turning point in Claude's musical career results from his successful performance with Mr. Fredericks at the music festival?
7. What evidence is there that Claude does not relate well to children, especially regarding the movies and Catherine Marsh?
8. Before the performance at Carnegie Hall with Aldo Frescobaldi when Mr. Weisfeld visits Claude in his dressing room, what does Claude's frame of mind show about him?
9. What does Catherine Fisk's response to Claude's question about why she invited him to the Bentley School mixer tell us about her?
10. Summarize the pivotal events which occur in Claude's life from the time Mr. Fredericks asks Claude to play at a music festival with him to the time he meets Mr. Larkin, who is on a college scholarship committee.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)