|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Claude distress at the first concert venue with Frescobaldi?
(a) The stage hands have gone on strike.
(b) Claude has an argument with Lady.
(c) Frescobaldi's instrument is damaged in transport.
(d) The piano is slightly out of tune.
2. How do Lady's friends feel about Claude when he plays the piano at a party?
(a) They ask him to leave.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are impressed.
(d) They ignore him.
3. Who first brings up the topic of adoption?
(b) Lady's mother.
(c) Claude's mother.
4. Why does Catherine refuse Claude's marriage proposal?
(a) Claude is still in love with Lady.
(b) Claude is still despondent over Mr. Weisfeld's death.
(c) Catherine is in love with someone else.
(d) She knows Claude's life is music.
5. Where is the party at which Claude plays the piano for Lady's friends?
(a) Senator Barnes' campaign headquarters.
(b) Lady's home.
(c) A club near Lady's home.
(d) A mansion of one of Lady's friends.
6. What does Claude do while the music store is being renovated?
(a) Moves in with Al and Emma.
(b) Composes a piece of music.
(c) Goes on a performance tour.
(d) Helps with the renovation.
7. What instrument does Frescobaldi play?
8. Why is dinner at the Powers' home awkward for Claude?
(a) Lady's parents ignore him.
(b) Claude doesn't know about dinner etiquette.
(c) Claude is the center of conversation at the dinner table.
(d) Lady is called away from dinner.
9. What is the result of the situation which causes Claude distress at the first concert venue?
(a) No one notices but he and Frescobaldi.
(b) Claude and Lady apologize to each other.
(c) A skeleton crew manages the stage without incident.
(d) The concert master of the Philadelphia Orchestra loans Frescobaldi his instrument.
10. What is Lady's reaction to Claude's constant practicing to prepare for his performances with Frescobaldi?
(a) She threatens to leave him if he doesn't spend more time with her.
(b) She doesn't understand his ardent need for practice.
(c) She supports him wholeheartedly.
(d) She thinks he doesn't practice enough.
11. Who helps Claude fight the city government when it wants to tear down the building housing the music store?
(a) Mr. Fredericks.
(b) Mr. Powers.
(c) Mr. Larkin.
(d) Senator Barnes.
12. Who coaches Claude after he gets the job as temporary pianist for Aldo Frescobaldi?
(a) Mr. Weisfeld.
(c) Mr. Fredericks.
13. Where do Frescobaldi and Claude first meet to practice?
(a) Carnegie Hall.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld's music store.
(c) At the first concert venue.
(d) Mr. Fredericks' home.
14. Why is Claude upset after he plays the piano for Lady's friends?
(a) He thinks he abused his talent.
(b) A song he plays makes Lady cry.
(c) The less-than-appreciative response from Lady's friends.
(d) He doesn't like to play for free.
15. How many years does the story skip between the end of Chapter 13 in Part 1 and the beginning of Chapter 14 in Part 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to calm Claude when he demands information from his mother about his father?
2. In what year is Claude at college when he meets "Lady" Powers?
3. Who assures Claude in a telegram of attending Claude's concert?
4. What does Claude learn when he returns a call from Otto Levits?
5. What type of college does Lady attend?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)