|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the music festival held at which Mr. Fredericks wants Claude to play?
2. How does Catherine treat Claude at the Bentley School dance?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She introduces Claude to a girl, then goes her own way.
(c) She remains by his side the whole night.
(d) She moves back and forth between Claude and her own group of friends.
3. Where is the home of the maestro who allows Claude to practice on his grand piano?
(a) In Claude's own apartment building.
(b) In the apartment building where Al Johnson is the maintenance man.
(c) Above Mr. Weisfeld's music store.
(d) In the apartment building next to Claude's.
4. How old is Claude Rawlings at the beginning of the novel?
5. What school accessory does Claude find under his seat at the movies?
(a) A textbook.
(b) A pencil case.
(c) A gym uniform.
(d) A notebook.
6. Why does Claude begin to go to the movies?
(a) To hear the music played with the movie.
(b) His friends convince him to go.
(c) He likes a girl who works there.
(d) As a diversion.
7. Why does Emma return to New York City during the questioning process about her suspected communist activities?
(a) Her boss calls and tells her he needs her to come back to work.
(b) She is tired of being questioned.
(c) Claude becomes ill.
(d) She receives permission to leave.
8. When does Claude receive a telegram that Mr. Weisfeld cannot attend Claude's debut performance at the music festival?
(a) Hours before his performance.
(b) Just as he is to walk onstage.
(c) The day before the performance.
(d) During the intermission of his performance.
9. What is Mr. Larkin's position at a college named Cadbury?
(a) He is on the scholarship committee.
(b) He is the head of the music department.
(c) He is in charge of recruiting.
(d) He is the president.
10. How does Catherine feel about Claude when he comes to accompany Peter?
(a) She has a secret crush on him.
(b) She looks down on him.
(c) She thinks of him as her best friend.
(d) She aggressively pursues him.
11. Who do Claude and Emma discover belongs to the Communist Party?
(a) A secret customer.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld.
(c) Al Johnson.
(d) The neighbor with whom Claude occasionally stays.
12. How does Claude feel about sitting in the children's section of the movie theater?
13. How does Claude feel about Catherine?
(a) He thinks of her as his best friend.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He cruelly teases her.
(d) He is love struck.
14. Who arranges for Claude to practice on a grand piano in the home of a famous retired maestro?
(a) Claude's mother.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld.
(c) Al Johnson.
(d) Claude's father.
15. What does Claude do in the basement of Mr. Weisfeld's music store?
(a) Records his playing to send to record producers.
(b) Fixes instruments.
(c) Gives piano lessons.
(d) Composes and plays.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization suspects Emma of communist activities?
2. Where does Claude discover an old piano?
3. What adjective describes the opinion of Claude's music instructors at the Bentley School regarding Claude's talent?
4. When Emma stops going to work, what does Al Johnson do at Claude's request?
5. What instrument does Peter Fisk play?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)