|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claude notice about his mother since Al Johnson is spending more time with her?
(a) She is more depressed.
(b) She is more unstable.
(c) She is less forgetful.
(d) She is calmer.
2. What is Mr. Weisfeld's opinion about Claude when he returns to Mr. Weisfeld's music store two weeks after he sells the Claude the piano lessons book?
(a) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude is gifted.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude is going to give up.
(c) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude may be ill.
(d) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude needs adult supervision.
3. What is the status of Emma's job when she returns to New York City after being questioned about communist activities?
(a) Her cab has been impounded by the police.
(b) Her cab driver's license has been suspended.
(c) She has been fired.
(d) Her hours have been drastically cut.
4. When does Claude receive a telegram that Mr. Weisfeld cannot attend Claude's debut performance at the music festival?
(a) Just as he is to walk onstage.
(b) During the intermission of his performance.
(c) Hours before his performance.
(d) The day before the performance.
5. What does Mr. Larkin promise to do for Claude in Part 2, Chapter 13?
(a) Get an off-campus apartment for his mother.
(b) Allow him to conduct the university orchestra.
(c) Find a job for him on campus.
(d) Enroll him in college with a full scholarship.
6. Where is Emma taken for questioning about her suspected communist activities?
(a) West Point, NY.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Albany, NY.
(d) Williamsburg, VA.
7. What can't Emma give to the attorney of the maestro's estate?
(a) Her real name.
(b) Claude's social security number.
(c) The attorney fee.
(d) Claude's birth certificate.
8. How old is Claude when he begins to go to the movies?
9. Why does Claude begin to go to the movies?
(a) His friends convince him to go.
(b) He likes a girl who works there.
(c) To hear the music played with the movie.
(d) As a diversion.
10. When Claude arrives at the music store one afternoon, who is Mr. Fredericks talking with about asking Claude to play at a music festival?
(a) Ivan Andrews.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld.
(c) Claude's mother.
(d) Al Johnson.
11. What organization suspects Emma of communist activities?
12. In addition to the Bechstein piano, what else does the maestro include in his trust for Claude?
(a) Funds for piano lessons.
(b) The maestro's apartment.
(c) A college scholarship.
(d) A music store.
13. During what era does Body and Soul begin?
(a) Pre World War I.
(b) Post World War II.
(c) During the Jazz Age.
(d) During the Great Depression.
14. What is Claude's goal when he plays with Mr. Fredericks at the music festival?
(a) To play better than Mr. Fredericks.
(b) To overcome his stage fright.
(c) To impress the talent managers in the audience.
(d) To play perfectly.
15. What happens when Emma receives occasional phone calls during the night?
(a) Emma leaves and delivers mysterious packages.
(b) Emma sends Claude to stay with a neighbor.
(c) Emma panics and screams hysterically.
(d) Emma wakes Claude and takes him to pick up secret customers.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Emma is released from government surveillance, what does she send to official agencies?
2. Where does Claude sit in relation to the other children in the children's section of the movie theater?
3. What type of person is Catherine, Mrs. Fisk's daughter?
4. How does Claude react to the physical signs of stress as he prepares for the music festival?
5. What is the result of Claude's performance when he fills in for the pianist?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)