|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Claude feel about Catherine?
(a) He cruelly teases her.
(b) He is love struck.
(c) He thinks of her as his best friend.
(d) He ignores her.
2. When Claude arrives at the music store one afternoon, who is Mr. Fredericks talking with about asking Claude to play at a music festival?
(a) Ivan Andrews.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld.
(c) Al Johnson.
(d) Claude's mother.
3. What happens when Emma receives occasional phone calls during the night?
(a) Emma panics and screams hysterically.
(b) Emma wakes Claude and takes him to pick up secret customers.
(c) Emma sends Claude to stay with a neighbor.
(d) Emma leaves and delivers mysterious packages.
4. How does Catherine feel about Claude when he comes to accompany Peter?
(a) She has a secret crush on him.
(b) She looks down on him.
(c) She aggressively pursues him.
(d) She thinks of him as her best friend.
5. Even though Peter's playing is basic and unspirited, why does Claude enjoy accompanying him?
(a) Because he has a chance to talk to Mr. Fisk about Emma.
(b) Because he can impress the famous musician who frequently observes the sessions.
(c) Because he is near Catherine.
(d) Because he is getting needed experience.
6. Where is Emma taken for questioning about her suspected communist activities?
(a) Albany, NY.
(b) Williamsburg, VA.
(c) West Point, NY.
(d) Washington, D.C.
7. When Emma stops going to work, what does Al Johnson do at Claude's request?
(a) Loans Emma money.
(b) Marries Emma.
(c) Speaks to Emma about her problems.
(d) Gets Emma a new job.
8. With whom does Claude spend a great deal of time at the festival when he is not practicing or performing?
(a) Mr. Weisfeld.
(b) Mr. Fredericks.
(c) Eva, a violinist.
(d) The pianist whom he filled in for.
9. Where is the home of the maestro who allows Claude to practice on his grand piano?
(a) In the apartment building next to Claude's.
(b) Above Mr. Weisfeld's music store.
(c) In Claude's own apartment building.
(d) In the apartment building where Al Johnson is the maintenance man.
10. What type of person is Catherine, Mrs. Fisk's daughter?
11. What adjective could be used to describe Claude's life before he goes to school?
12. How does Claude come to accompany Peter Fisk as he plays?
(a) Mrs. Fisk hires Claude.
(b) Claude wants to talk to Mr. Fisk about Emma.
(c) Claude and Peter are best friends.
(d) Claude needs the experience.
13. What adjective describes Claude's feelings when he learns that Catherine has eloped?
14. What item does the Fisk housekeeper give to Claude when he arrives to go to the dance with Catherine?
(a) A shiny pebble.
(b) A small wooden cross.
(c) A gold chain.
(d) A string of wooden beads.
15. What is Claude able to do now that he works in Mr. Weisfeld's music store?
(a) Afford his own necessities.
(b) Buy a brand new piano.
(c) Learn how to play other instruments.
(d) Practice whenever he wants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in the building is the apartment in which Claude lives with his mother?
2. What does Claude notice about his mother since Al Johnson is spending more time with her?
3. While Claude's mother is at work and Claude is on his own, how does he make spending money?
4. Why does Claude need to fill in for a pianist who is supposed to perform at the music festival?
5. How does Catherine treat Claude at the Bentley School dance?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)