|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does the Fisk housekeeper give to Claude when he arrives to go to the dance with Catherine?
(a) A small wooden cross.
(b) A shiny pebble.
(c) A gold chain.
(d) A string of wooden beads.
2. Why does Claude choose to keep a quiet demeanor in school?
(a) He is afraid of being punished by his mother.
(b) He struggles to keep up with the class.
(c) He is embarrassed about his poverty.
(d) He doesn't want anyone asking about his father.
3. What movie particularly interests Claude because of its story line, which he relates to his life?
(a) A Raisin in the Sun.
(b) A Place in the Sun.
(c) A Summer Place.
(d) Island in the Sun.
4. What adjective describes the opinion of Claude's music instructors at the Bentley School regarding Claude's talent?
5. Why does Claude begin to go to the movies?
(a) He likes a girl who works there.
(b) To hear the music played with the movie.
(c) His friends convince him to go.
(d) As a diversion.
6. What is Mr. Weisfeld's opinion about Claude when he returns to Mr. Weisfeld's music store two weeks after he sells the Claude the piano lessons book?
(a) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude is gifted.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude may be ill.
(c) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude is going to give up.
(d) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude needs adult supervision.
7. Regarding Claude's father, what does Emma ask Claude not to do?
(a) Send letters to him.
(b) Tell anyone about him.
(c) Look for him.
(d) Ask about him.
8. Who is the composer of the Double Concerto that Mr. Fredericks wants Claude to play at the music festival?
(c) Mr. Fredericks.
9. Why does Claude dress in a suit and tie for his first session accompanying Peter Fisk at the Fisk home?
(a) An important musician will be observing the session.
(b) Claude knows Mr. Fisk is an influential politician.
(c) Mrs. Fisk instructed Claude to dress formally.
(d) Claude wants to impress Catherine.
10. How does Claude feel about Catherine?
(a) He cruelly teases her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He thinks of her as his best friend.
(d) He is love struck.
11. Why does Claude want to attend a regular university instead of a musical conservatory?
(a) He wants a well-rounded education.
(b) All of his friends will be attending regular universities.
(c) A regular university is less expensive than a musical conservatory.
(d) There are no musical conservatories close enough to his home so he can care for his mother.
12. Why does Mr. Weisfeld react the way he does when Claude wakes him in the middle of the night?
(a) He knows he taught Claude better manners.
(b) The store is all Mr. Weisfeld has.
(c) He knows how hard Claude has worked.
(d) He thinks he has been found by Nazis.
13. What does Mr.Weisfeld want to ask Emma when he visits Claude after not seeing him for a week?
(a) He wants to ask if Emma will work for him giving piano lessons.
(b) He wants to ask if he can give Claude advanced piano lessons.
(c) He wants to ask if Emma can drive Claude to a professional studio.
(d) He wants to ask if Claude can live with him and his wife.
14. In addition to the Bechstein piano, what else does the maestro include in his trust for Claude?
(a) A music store.
(b) The maestro's apartment.
(c) A college scholarship.
(d) Funds for piano lessons.
15. Where is Emma taken for questioning about her suspected communist activities?
(a) Albany, NY.
(b) Williamsburg, VA.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) West Point, NY.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claude react to the physical signs of stress as he prepares for the music festival?
2. What is currently in the room shown to Claude by Peter Fisk?
3. What is the Schoenberg twelve-tone system?
4. Even though Peter's playing is basic and unspirited, why does Claude enjoy accompanying him?
5. After his first performance at the music festival, how many times will Claude have played in front of an audience?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)