|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Claude choose to keep a quiet demeanor in school?
(a) He is afraid of being punished by his mother.
(b) He is embarrassed about his poverty.
(c) He struggles to keep up with the class.
(d) He doesn't want anyone asking about his father.
2. According to Emma, what happens to Claude's father?
(a) Emma doesn't know who Claude's father is.
(b) Claude's father died.
(c) Claude's father went to the war.
(d) Emma doesn't know what happened to Claude's father.
3. What is Mr. Weisfeld's opinion about Claude when he returns to Mr. Weisfeld's music store two weeks after he sells the Claude the piano lessons book?
(a) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude needs adult supervision.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude may be ill.
(c) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude is going to give up.
(d) Mr. Weisfeld thinks Claude is gifted.
4. Who do Claude and Emma discover belongs to the Communist Party?
(a) Al Johnson.
(b) Mr. Weisfeld.
(c) A secret customer.
(d) The neighbor with whom Claude occasionally stays.
5. What famous person does Claude meet at the dinner party in the Fisk home?
(a) George Balanchine.
(b) Georgia O'Keeffe.
(c) Elizabeth Taylor.
(d) Harry Houdini.
6. In addition to Peter Fisk, whom does Claude accompany at a dinner party for a large group of influential people in the Fisk home?
(a) Mrs. Fisk.
(b) Mr. Fisk.
(c) Ivan Andrews.
7. What is Claude's physique as a young boy?
(a) Deformed as a result of a birth defect.
8. What is Claude's goal when he plays with Mr. Fredericks at the music festival?
(a) To play better than Mr. Fredericks.
(b) To impress the talent managers in the audience.
(c) To overcome his stage fright.
(d) To play perfectly.
9. When Claude arrives at the music store one afternoon, who is Mr. Fredericks talking with about asking Claude to play at a music festival?
(a) Mr. Weisfeld.
(b) Al Johnson.
(c) Claude's mother.
(d) Ivan Andrews.
10. While Claude's mother is at work and Claude is on his own, how does he make spending money?
(a) He begs on the street corner.
(b) He does odd jobs for elderly ladies in his apartment building.
(c) He finds coins that were dropped.
(d) He helps out in Mr. Weisfeld's store.
11. What is the result after Claude studies the Schoenberg twelve-tone system?
(a) Claude is asked to help market the new device.
(b) Claude wants to drop out of school.
(c) Mr. Schoenberg asks Claude to use the new system to perform new compositions.
(d) Claude writes his own music.
12. After Peter shows Claude the room, what does Claude question Peter about?
(a) The gauge of the electric trains.
(b) The maker of the piano.
(c) Rare orchids.
(d) Gas chambers.
13. Whom does Catherine confide in before she leaves to elope?
(a) Peter Fisk.
(b) Claude's mother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) No one.
14. How does Claude feel about Catherine?
(a) He is love struck.
(b) He thinks of her as his best friend.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He cruelly teases her.
15. How does Claude feel when he receives an invitation from Catherine Fisk to the Bentley School mixer?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Claude wakes Mr. Weisfeld during the night, what does he do for Mr. Weisfeld?
2. Why does Claude want to attend a regular university instead of a musical conservatory?
3. What instrument does Peter Fisk play?
4. What happens when Emma receives occasional phone calls during the night?
5. What type of person is Catherine, Mrs. Fisk's daughter?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)