|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapters 5, 6, 7, and 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the location of the apartment in which Claude lives with his mother important?
(a) Claude is afraid of heights.
(b) Claude realizes people are always going somewhere as he watches them pass.
(c) Claude can see most of the city from his apartment.
(d) Claude likes to read the expressions on the faces of the people who pass.
2. What is Claude able to do now that he works in Mr. Weisfeld's music store?
(a) Buy a brand new piano.
(b) Learn how to play other instruments.
(c) Afford his own necessities.
(d) Practice whenever he wants.
3. Why does Emma return to New York City during the questioning process about her suspected communist activities?
(a) She is tired of being questioned.
(b) Claude becomes ill.
(c) Her boss calls and tells her he needs her to come back to work.
(d) She receives permission to leave.
4. Where is Emma taken for questioning about her suspected communist activities?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) West Point, NY.
(c) Albany, NY.
(d) Williamsburg, VA.
5. Who keeps Claude company after his mother goes to bed when she comes home from work?
(a) Claude's father.
(b) No one.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) The building custodian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the status of Emma's job when she returns to New York City after being questioned about communist activities?
2. How old is Claude when he begins to go to the movies?
3. Why does Claude begin to go to the movies?
4. What is Mr. Weisfeld's opinion about Claude when he returns to Mr. Weisfeld's music store two weeks after he sells the Claude the piano lessons book?
5. What business arrangement does Claude enter into with Al Johnson, a maintenance man?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)