|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapters 5, 6, 7, and 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Claude's mother is at work and Claude is on his own, how does he make spending money?
(a) He begs on the street corner.
(b) He does odd jobs for elderly ladies in his apartment building.
(c) He finds coins that were dropped.
(d) He helps out in Mr. Weisfeld's store.
2. What does Claude's mother do when she comes home from her job of driving a taxi?
(a) Drinks beer.
(b) Gives piano lessons.
(d) Reads to Claude.
3. What happens when Emma receives occasional phone calls during the night?
(a) Emma wakes Claude and takes him to pick up secret customers.
(b) Emma leaves and delivers mysterious packages.
(c) Emma sends Claude to stay with a neighbor.
(d) Emma panics and screams hysterically.
4. When Emma stops going to work, what does Al Johnson do at Claude's request?
(a) Loans Emma money.
(b) Speaks to Emma about her problems.
(c) Marries Emma.
(d) Gets Emma a new job.
5. What business arrangement does Claude enter into with Al Johnson, a maintenance man?
(a) They sell cleaning supplies.
(b) Claude helps Al with custodial work.
(c) Claude plays the piano while Al plays the saxophone on a street corner.
(d) They split the money from collecting soda bottles in the garbage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in the building is the apartment in which Claude lives with his mother?
2. What is the status of Emma's job when she returns to New York City after being questioned about communist activities?
3. What school accessory does Claude find under his seat at the movies?
4. What adjective could be used to describe Claude's life before he goes to school?
5. Who do Claude and Emma discover belongs to the Communist Party?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)