|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapters 9, 10, and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Claude choose to keep a quiet demeanor in school?
(a) He is embarrassed about his poverty.
(b) He is afraid of being punished by his mother.
(c) He doesn't want anyone asking about his father.
(d) He struggles to keep up with the class.
2. Where does Claude sit in relation to the other children in the children's section of the movie theater?
(a) He sits just on the edge of the crowd of children.
(b) As far away from them as possible.
(c) He waits until someone invites him to sit.
(d) He sits in the most crowded part.
3. How does Catherine treat Claude at the Bentley School dance?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She remains by his side the whole night.
(c) She introduces Claude to a girl, then goes her own way.
(d) She moves back and forth between Claude and her own group of friends.
4. After Emma is released from government surveillance, what does she send to official agencies?
(a) Evidence that proves her innocence.
(b) Letters with the names of communist sympathizers.
(c) Letters of complaint.
(d) Job applications.
5. Why does Emma return to New York City during the questioning process about her suspected communist activities?
(a) She is tired of being questioned.
(b) She receives permission to leave.
(c) Her boss calls and tells her he needs her to come back to work.
(d) Claude becomes ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claude decide to do regarding the intimate relationship that has developed between his mother and Al Johnson?
2. What happens when Emma receives occasional phone calls during the night?
3. Where does the driver drop off Claude after the dance?
4. What does Claude's mother do when she comes home from her job of driving a taxi?
5. Why is the location of the apartment in which Claude lives with his mother important?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)