|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays for Sterling's stays in Baltimore?
2. Who leaves Kay a message asking if she bleaches her hair?
3. Where is Cary Harper's gold medallion left?
4. For what is Sterling Harper being treated?
5. What type of gun does Pete think Kay should have at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kay find PJ?
2. What does Kay learn about Joseph McTigue when she makes a second visit to Mrs. McTigue?
3. What happens to Frankie after he leaves Valhalla?
4. Why did Sterling stay in the Harbor Court Hotel during her visits to Johns Hopkins?
5. What does Kay discover about Sterling's whereabouts during the murder of her brother Cary?
6. Why does Al Hunt visit Kay at home, and what does he tell her?
7. In Chapter 16, what does Kay learn about Mark in Key West, and how does she react?
8. In Chapter 11, why do Pete and Kay travel to Baltimore by train?
9. In Chapter 15, why does Kay suddenly decide to go to Key West?
10. What does Kay receive from Mark James, and what does he tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Key West, Kay systematically befriends PJ in order to meet her goal of finding out whether he has Kay's manuscript. Describe the actions that she takes, and compare and contrast this with the approach the police and Scott Partin use.
Essay Topic 2
Kay ends up receiving roses from Mark James, and he tells her that he loves her. What do Kay and Mark James have in common that brings them back together? In what ways are they completely opposite? Describe the high points in their relationship. Do you think they would have come together had their work not taken them down similar paths? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After the meeting with Sparacino and Mark, Mark abruptly puts Kay in a cab and sends her home. How does Kay feel, and what does she do to try to learn more about the situation? What reasons do you think Mark has for doing this? Is this consistent with the behavior Kay saw the previous night with Mark? Why or why not?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)