|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom are Beryl's contract disputes?
2. Under what name is "Flag of Honor" written?
3. What is placed in the metal pipe?
4. In Chapter 8, where is Kay's .38 revolver?
5. What does Kay learn about Mark when she makes phone calls from the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mark telephone Kay, and what happens when Kay tries to find out where he is?
2. Why do Kay and Pete visit Benton Wesley, and what do they gain from their meeting with him.
3. Who appears at Kay and Mark's table when they have finished dining, and why does this seem suspicious?
4. Waiting for her flight back to Richmond, what does Kay learn about Mark James?
5. What book did Cary write, and at what age?
6. What does Kay learn from Sterling Harper?
7. What makes Kay suspicious enough to return to her office in the OCME, and what does she find there?
8. For what reason does Mark send Kay an airplane ticket to New York City?
9. In Chapter 8, where does Sterling have Kay sleep, and how comfortable is Kay?
10. In Chapter 5, after dinner and drinks with Sparacino, what does Mark do back at the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the story we read of Pete's homophobia. What people does he disdain because of their sexual orientation? Examine Pete's personality and background, as described in the book, and explain why you think he is homophobic. In contrast, why does Kay say more than once that people should be able to make their own decisions and live as they wish?
Essay Topic 2
Mark James comes back into Kay's life suddenly after 15 years. What are Kay's mixed emotions about Mark as she continues to work with him? Do Mark's actions and behaviors help or hinder Kay's feelings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Key West, Beryl, PJ, and Walt are drawn together, and Beryl rooms with them. What are the catalysts for the friendship, and why does PJ work so hard to befriend Beryl?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)