|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what source do the white ashes in the fireplace come?
(a) Carbon paper.
(b) 60-pound rag paper.
(c) 20-pound rag paper.
2. Why is Beryl running scared about a month before her death?
(a) Her book manuscript is overdue.
(b) She is being threatened by a psycho.
(c) She has no money.
(d) She is ill.
3. What is placed in the metal pipe?
(b) Bird shot.
4. With whom are Beryl's contract disputes?
(a) Benton Wesley.
(b) Sterling Harper.
(c) Kay Scarpetta.
(d) Cary Harper.
5. What does Kay learn about Beryl's telephone number?
(a) It is easy to remember.
(b) It is in the phone directory.
(c) It is hard to remember.
(d) It is unlisted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sparacino believe Beryl's unfinished manuscript is?
2. What did Al Hunt formerly do for a living before he begins working for his father at Masterwash?
3. To where does Mark send Kay a ticket unexpectedly after she leaves Joni Hamm?
4. What wakes Kay while at Cutler Grove?
5. What information does Joni Hamm give Kay regarding the trace evidence for Beryl Madison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Kay and Pete visit Benton Wesley, and what do they gain from their meeting with him.
2. Who appears at Kay and Mark's table when they have finished dining, and why does this seem suspicious?
3. Why does Beryl speak at the meeting as a favor?
4. How do newspaper headlines implicate Kay, and why does this prompt Ethridge to caution her?
5. What item is missing from Beryl's personal effects, and how does Sparacino go about getting information from Kay about it during their meeting?
6. Sterling tells Kay that although Cary loves Beryl, she has let him down. What is his reaction?
7. What does Kay do when Sparacino accuses her directly of being paid to give Harper the manuscript?
8. What is the relationship between Sparacino and Ethridge, and why may Sparacino be stirring up trouble?
9. In Chapter 1, how does Pete know that Beryl has not eaten a snack before she is killed?
10. In Chapter 6, why does Pete Marino call Kay, and what does Kay do in response?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)