Lesson 1 (from Chapters 1-2)
In Chapter 1, we find Kay Scarpetta and Pete Marino examining the home of recently deceased author Beryl Madison for crime scene clues. This lesson explores the uncovering of the many clues Kay Scarpetta and Pete Marino find in Beryl's house, and their respective approaches to their discoveries.
1) Class Discussion: Ask the class to answer the following questions:
• What is the state of the contents of the house when Kay and Pete walk in?
• What does Kay find on the kitchen counter?
• What question does Kay keep repeating throughout the investigation?
• Of what is Pete sure regarding Beryl's attacker?
2) Brainstorming Exercise: Ask the class to list all the evidence that Kay and Pete find in the house. In discussion afterward, ask which one(s) students' feel may be most significant.
3) Small Group Exercise: analysis of investigative styles. Divide the class into groups of four. Have students...
This section contains 8,522 words
(approx. 29 pages at 300 words per page)