|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Torey and Ali sit with at lunch?
2. What makes Torey and Ali decide to find Isabella?
3. What does Torey find in a rock crevice?
4. Why does the principal grab Torey?
5. Who has a vision of Chris hanging in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ali tell Torey about some of the kids at school and how did she find out?
2. Explain what happened when Torey met with Isabella.
3. Who calls Torey from school and what do they talk about?
4. Where do Torey and Ali find Mrs. Adams when they return to his house and what does she say?
5. Where is Torey after he is rescued from the burial grounds and what is he refusing to do? How are the doctors responding to his refusal?
6. What does Torey first see on his second trip into the burial grounds and what does he decide?
7. What upsets Mr. Adams about Torey and what does he tell Torey as he takes him home from school?
8. What does Mrs. Adams say about Bo and why? What does Ali tell her about her fears?
9. What does Ali tell Torey about more of Chris's diary she had read?
10. What does Mrs. Creed say to Torey and Ali's statements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Creed is a woman who does not want to take the blame for anything as horrible as the disappearance of her son. To Mrs. Creed, admitting that her son left her intentionally is symbolic of her own failures as a mother. This is the last thing Mrs. Creed will admit to.
1. Do you think Mrs. Creed is to blame for Chris's disappearance? Why or why not. Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think is Chris ran away it does any good to place the blame on anyone? Why or why not? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Explain in depth your reactions to a mother who would rather blame someone for murdering her child than listen to what might be the truth.
Essay Topic 2
The idea that Chris, the most unpopular boy in school, had a girlfriend is an interesting new development. Perhaps Chris was not the person Torey and everyone else believed him to be. This idea and the diary itself give Torey new insight into who Chris Creed was and new sympathy for him.
1. What do you think the idea of Chris Creed having a girlfriend might change the way Torey thought of him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Expand on the idea that no one is the person people think she/he is from the outside. Use ideas from the book and your own life to illustrate your points.
3. Why do you think Chris Creed's diary engendered sympathy from Torey? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 20 is a turning point for Torey, the moment when he must decide if he will lie down and allow himself to be victimized like the boons have been all these years or rise up and fight. Torey has chosen to fight.
1. Do you think Torey's background gave him the courage to fight for himself, as opposed to the boons? Why or why not? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Bo is allowing himself to be victimized or does he show a consideration for others in his confessing to the phone call? Explain your reasoning.
3. Do you think it is wise for Torey to think the best way to fight for himself is to look for Chris Creed's body? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)