|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torey think is actually possible?
2. What does the person want?
3. Who sent an email to the principal?
4. What does one of Chris's brothers do when his mother's back is turned.
5. What does Alex say he can do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Torey write a document about Chris Creed's disappearance?
2. How does Torey feel about Ali and what does he want to do?
3. What does Torey do when he calls Mrs. Creed?
4. Who does Torey run into on the way to the cafeteria and how does he know her? Why doesn't he see her often any more?
5. Why did Mrs. Creed come down to the store on Saturday?
6. Why does Bo think he will be blamed for killing Chris Creed?
7. What does Torey see looking through the window at Ali's house?
8. What does Torey think about the kids at school talking about Creed possibly being murdered instead of running away or committing suicide?
9. What does Torey say Chris was like?
10. What does Torey do when Alex and Ryan don't show up for band practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Creed's choice of suspects, Bo Richardson, is simply a grasping at straws due to the fact that Bo injured her son the year before. The only thing wrong with this is that Bo is not the only person to have seriously hurt Chris, a fact even Torey cannot escape. The fact is that Bo is the only boon to have seriously injured Chris. This touches on another theme of the novel, categorizing people or class distinction.
1. Do you think poor people are more apt to be accused of a crime than wealthy people? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Mrs. Creed wants to suspect Bo Richardson of killing her son?
3. Do you think poor people are more likely to commit crimes than wealthy people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Torey has changed so completely that he cannot even make himself talk to his friends about what is going on. In the past, Torey would have told Alex anything, but in light of his new friendship with Bo and knowing what has been going on with Ali and Chris, Torey cannot relate to Alex anymore. Torey has matured, while his friends have not.
1. Do you think if you had experienced what Torey has by Chapter 13 in the book you would have changed in the ways he has? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the way that crisis can change a person. Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Torey sees his friends as shallow from all the events up to Chapter 13? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Just as everyone predicted, Bo is taken into custody for the murder of Christopher Creed. Despite Torey's insistence that he made the phone call that Bo confessed to and Ali's attempt to confess about the note on the disk, the cops do not care. Again this goes to the theme of perception versus reality.
1. What do you think is meant by the last part of this statement?
2. Do you believe police in real life would ignore Torey and Ali's confessions? Explain in depth your reasoning.
3. How often in life do you think people's perceptions are false? Explain some situations in which that happens most often.
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)