|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in the principal's office when the principal received the email from Chris Creed?
2. What do Ryan and Alex do as they eat sandwiches?
3. What does Torey think is actually possible?
4. What seems to be adversely affecting Ali's behavior?
5. Who makes disparaging remarks about Ali?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom and why is Torey at the police station?
2. Who does Torey run into on the way to the cafeteria and how does he know her? Why doesn't he see her often any more?
3. What does Torey say Chris was like?
4. Why does Bo think he will be blamed for killing Chris Creed?
5. Why did Mrs. Creed come down to the store on Saturday?
6. What does Mrs. Adams tell Ali and Torey about Bo while they leave the police station?
7. What does Leo do when he comes in Torey's room and how does Torey react?
8. What does Ali tell Torey about the Creeds?
9. What is the story Alex tells Torey about him and Chris Creed when they were about twelve?
10. How do Torey's friends act when talking about Chris and how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Torey is shocked to see his own name listed in the note and feels as though he should have known Chris was unhappy and should have done something about it. This creates tension between Torey and his friends.
1. Why do you think Torey was shocked to see his name in Creed's email? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Torey's feelings creates tension between him and his friends? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is reasonable for Torey to feel guilty about not knowing how unhappy Chris Creed was? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Creed's choice of suspects, Bo Richardson, is simply a grasping at straws due to the fact that Bo injured her son the year before. The only thing wrong with this is that Bo is not the only person to have seriously hurt Chris, a fact even Torey cannot escape. The fact is that Bo is the only boon to have seriously injured Chris. This touches on another theme of the novel, categorizing people or class distinction.
1. Do you think poor people are more apt to be accused of a crime than wealthy people? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Mrs. Creed wants to suspect Bo Richardson of killing her son?
3. Do you think poor people are more likely to commit crimes than wealthy people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Torey listens to the Creeds ask for help finding their son, describing him as a normal, distracted teenager. This scene introduces a new element into Torey's world, a sort of unease that has never before existed for him. Torey takes it as any teenager would, with cynicism toward the parents' ignorance of their son.
1. Why do you think Torey was uneasy about the Creeds' description of their son?
2. Explain why you think many teenagers are cynical about their parents' ignorance.
3. The ideas in the sentences above seem to indicate that it is improbable that parents know much about their teenagers. Do you agree with this? Why or why not?
4. Write a short essay on the types of thoughts, behaviors and feelings you believe teenagers hide from their parents.
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)