|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Creed think of Bo Richardson?
2. What is significant about the decor of Chris's bedroom, along with those of his two brothers?
3. Who lives across the street from Ali?
4. What does Torey think is actually possible?
5. Why is Torey irritated at Leandra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Creeds believe about their son?
2. What does Leandra say to Torey when he calls her the night of band practice?
3. How do Torey's friends act when talking about Chris and how does he feel?
4. Why does Bo think he will be blamed for killing Chris Creed?
5. What do Torey and his friends talk about when they discuss Chris Creed and how they acted towards him?
6. What does Torey say Chris was like?
7. What disturbs Torey about Renee and Alex?
8. What does Torey do when he calls Mrs. Creed?
9. What does Chris Creed's note to the principal talk about?
10. What does Leandra suggest about the note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Creed's choice of suspects, Bo Richardson, is simply a grasping at straws due to the fact that Bo injured her son the year before. The only thing wrong with this is that Bo is not the only person to have seriously hurt Chris, a fact even Torey cannot escape. The fact is that Bo is the only boon to have seriously injured Chris. This touches on another theme of the novel, categorizing people or class distinction.
1. Do you think poor people are more apt to be accused of a crime than wealthy people? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Mrs. Creed wants to suspect Bo Richardson of killing her son?
3. Do you think poor people are more likely to commit crimes than wealthy people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Torey's character appears to be growing with the mystery of Creed's disappearance, while his friends seem to be remaining in the adolescent world of their current existence.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement?
2. Do you think the reaction of Torey's friends to Creed's disappearance is typical of most teenagers? Why or why not?
3. What do you think you would do if you were a member of Torey's group?
Essay Topic 3
Torey has gained a greater knowledge of the reality behind the perception in this chapter, both through Chris and his mother's strict, unpleasant behaviors and through Bo's kind nature that has been hidden behind his poor background.
1. Do you think everyone has false perceptions about people they know? Explain your answer using examples.
2. Explain the cliche "you can't tell a book by its cover" in reference to the statement above.
3. Do you think that Chris's mother and her type of child raising is abusive? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)