|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Leandra think wrote the note that Torey has?
2. Who was in the principal's office when the principal received the email from Chris Creed?
3. Why does Mrs. Adams related the story about the father and son?
4. What is obvious in Chapter 5 about the structure of the school's social groups?
5. About what is Bo worried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Torey want to talk to the person he saw from question 13?
2. What does Torey do when he calls Mrs. Creed?
3. What does Mrs. Adams ask Torey and Ali about the night and what do they say?
4. What does Bo Richardson do when he comes over to Ali's house?
5. With whom and why is Torey at the police station?
6. What does Leandra suggest about the note?
7. What did Torey think the Creeds were hoping for about their son?
8. What did Torey do about Alex not showing up for band practice? What did Alex do?
9. What does Chris Creed's note to the principal talk about?
10. What do Torey and his friends talk about when they discuss Chris Creed and how they acted towards him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Torey listens to the Creeds ask for help finding their son, describing him as a normal, distracted teenager. This scene introduces a new element into Torey's world, a sort of unease that has never before existed for him. Torey takes it as any teenager would, with cynicism toward the parents' ignorance of their son.
1. Why do you think Torey was uneasy about the Creeds' description of their son?
2. Explain why you think many teenagers are cynical about their parents' ignorance.
3. The ideas in the sentences above seem to indicate that it is improbable that parents know much about their teenagers. Do you agree with this? Why or why not?
4. Write a short essay on the types of thoughts, behaviors and feelings you believe teenagers hide from their parents.
Essay Topic 2
Torey and Ali are upset by the treatment they feel Bo is receiving, and they insist that Mrs. Adams do something to help him. Their attitude changes Mrs. Adams' attitude, and she begins seeing reality instead of preconceived perceptions in regards to Bo and his status as a boon, touching again on one of the major themes of the novel.
1. To what theme do you think this sentence refers? Use examples from other parts of the book where you've seen this theme.
2. Discuss what a theme in a novel is and how themes are shown throughout a book. Include in your discussion other themes you have noticed in this novel.
3. Why do you think Mrs. Adams has seen Bo in a different light following the visit to the police station in Chapter 10? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Creed is a woman who does not want to take the blame for anything as horrible as the disappearance of her son. To Mrs. Creed, admitting that her son left her intentionally is symbolic of her own failures as a mother. This is the last thing Mrs. Creed will admit to.
1. Do you think Mrs. Creed is to blame for Chris's disappearance? Why or why not. Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think is Chris ran away it does any good to place the blame on anyone? Why or why not? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Explain in depth your reactions to a mother who would rather blame someone for murdering her child than listen to what might be the truth.
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)