|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is being interrogated at the police station?
2. Why is Torey glad to see Ali?
3. What does Torey suddenly feel?
4. What is Bo determined to do?
5. Of whom are the boys most suspicious?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leo do when he comes in Torey's room and how does Torey react?
2. With whom and why is Torey at the police station?
3. What disturbs Torey about Renee and Alex?
4. What does Torey do when he calls Mrs. Creed?
5. How do Torey's friends act when talking about Chris and how does he feel?
6. What is the story Alex tells Torey about him and Chris Creed when they were about twelve?
7. What does Torey feel in the basement and what does he do about it?
8. What does Mrs. Adams tell Ali and Torey about Bo while they leave the police station?
9. What do Torey and his friends talk about when they discuss Chris Creed and how they acted towards him?
10. What does Torey think about the kids at school talking about Creed possibly being murdered instead of running away or committing suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Torey listens to the Creeds ask for help finding their son, describing him as a normal, distracted teenager. This scene introduces a new element into Torey's world, a sort of unease that has never before existed for him. Torey takes it as any teenager would, with cynicism toward the parents' ignorance of their son.
1. Why do you think Torey was uneasy about the Creeds' description of their son?
2. Explain why you think many teenagers are cynical about their parents' ignorance.
3. The ideas in the sentences above seem to indicate that it is improbable that parents know much about their teenagers. Do you agree with this? Why or why not?
4. Write a short essay on the types of thoughts, behaviors and feelings you believe teenagers hide from their parents.
Essay Topic 2
The idea that Chris, the most unpopular boy in school, had a girlfriend is an interesting new development. Perhaps Chris was not the person Torey and everyone else believed him to be. This idea and the diary itself give Torey new insight into who Chris Creed was and new sympathy for him.
1. What do you think the idea of Chris Creed having a girlfriend might change the way Torey thought of him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Expand on the idea that no one is the person people think she/he is from the outside. Use ideas from the book and your own life to illustrate your points.
3. Why do you think Chris Creed's diary engendered sympathy from Torey? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Just as everyone predicted, Bo is taken into custody for the murder of Christopher Creed. Despite Torey's insistence that he made the phone call that Bo confessed to and Ali's attempt to confess about the note on the disk, the cops do not care. Again this goes to the theme of perception versus reality.
1. What do you think is meant by the last part of this statement?
2. Do you believe police in real life would ignore Torey and Ali's confessions? Explain in depth your reasoning.
3. How often in life do you think people's perceptions are false? Explain some situations in which that happens most often.
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)