|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to Ali's room when her mom and boyfriend are upstairs?
2. What does Alex say he can do?
3. What is Torey doing in the basement?
4. For what reason did Ryan once hit Chris Creed?
5. What makes Torey think of Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Torey Adams do in his senior year of high school and what does he think about it?
2. What does Ali tell Torey about the Creeds?
3. What did the Creeds believe about their son?
4. What is the story Alex tells Torey about him and Chris Creed when they were about twelve?
5. Who does Torey find when he enters the cafeteria?
6. How do Torey's friends act when talking about Chris and how does he feel?
7. What does Torey put on the table where he is sitting with his friends?
8. What does Torey think about the kids at school talking about Creed possibly being murdered instead of running away or committing suicide?
9. Why did Mrs. Creed come down to the store on Saturday?
10. What does Leandra suggest about the note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The revelation that Bo has confessed to the phone call deeply disturbs Torey. Torey knows Bo will probably go to juvenile hall for this, and he does not want that to happen. However, Torey is powerless to stop it.
1. Explain why Torey thinks that he is powerless to stop what is happening to Bo. Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Torey should be honest and confess to the phone call? Why or why not? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Bo is taking the rap for Torey? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Torey has changed so completely that he cannot even make himself talk to his friends about what is going on. In the past, Torey would have told Alex anything, but in light of his new friendship with Bo and knowing what has been going on with Ali and Chris, Torey cannot relate to Alex anymore. Torey has matured, while his friends have not.
1. Do you think if you had experienced what Torey has by Chapter 13 in the book you would have changed in the ways he has? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the way that crisis can change a person. Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Torey sees his friends as shallow from all the events up to Chapter 13? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The idea that Chris, the most unpopular boy in school, had a girlfriend is an interesting new development. Perhaps Chris was not the person Torey and everyone else believed him to be. This idea and the diary itself give Torey new insight into who Chris Creed was and new sympathy for him.
1. What do you think the idea of Chris Creed having a girlfriend might change the way Torey thought of him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Expand on the idea that no one is the person people think she/he is from the outside. Use ideas from the book and your own life to illustrate your points.
3. Why do you think Chris Creed's diary engendered sympathy from Torey? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)