|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is something Ali tells Torey about Chris Creed?
2. Of what does Torey try to convince his mother?
3. Where does Torey go in his senior year of high school?
4. Why was Torey really doing on the computer?
5. Who was verbally abused by many of the students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Torey think the Creeds were hoping for about their son?
2. How does Torey feel about Ali and what does he want to do?
3. What does the letter to Alex Healy, from Torey say?
4. Why does Bo think he will be blamed for killing Chris Creed?
5. Who and why does Mrs. Creed thinks might have murdered Chris?
6. What do the Creeds announce in church Sunday?
7. What does Leandra suggest about the note?
8. How do Torey's friends act when talking about Chris and how does he feel?
9. With whom and why is Torey at the police station?
10. Why did Mrs. Creed come down to the store on Saturday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The revelation that Bo has confessed to the phone call deeply disturbs Torey. Torey knows Bo will probably go to juvenile hall for this, and he does not want that to happen. However, Torey is powerless to stop it.
1. Explain why Torey thinks that he is powerless to stop what is happening to Bo. Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Torey should be honest and confess to the phone call? Why or why not? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Bo is taking the rap for Torey? Use ideas from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The reader now learns that Mrs. Creed's behavior toward her son is questionable and that she is not as innocent as she would like people to believe. This signals the shift in Mrs. Creed's character from innocent victim to antagonist.
1. From what has been introduced in Chapters 1 - 4, do you think Mrs. Creed is a good mother? Why or why not?
2. If it turns out that Chris Creed has run away from home, how do you think Mrs. Creed's behavior might have pushed him to that decision?
3. Discuss what you think the above statement means in terms of the first four chapters.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Creed's choice of suspects, Bo Richardson, is simply a grasping at straws due to the fact that Bo injured her son the year before. The only thing wrong with this is that Bo is not the only person to have seriously hurt Chris, a fact even Torey cannot escape. The fact is that Bo is the only boon to have seriously injured Chris. This touches on another theme of the novel, categorizing people or class distinction.
1. Do you think poor people are more apt to be accused of a crime than wealthy people? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Mrs. Creed wants to suspect Bo Richardson of killing her son?
3. Do you think poor people are more likely to commit crimes than wealthy people? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)