|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the writing for the group?
2. What does Bluish say when Dreenie calls her Bluish?
3. What is the cure rate for Bluish's disease?
4. What changes for Bluish on the day she addresses the class?
5. Who acts awkwardly in front of Bluish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of toy does Bluish present to the class and what does Mrs. Baker say about it?
2. What does Dreena write about her time at Bluish's house with Tuli and Willie?
3. How is Dreenie beginning to feel at school and with whom does she have a positive connection?
4. What does Dreenie say is the way she sees Bluish as feeling physically?
5. Where do Tuli and Dreenie go with Bluish in Chapter 4 and how do Tuli and Dreenie act?
6. When does Dreenie arrive at school in Chapter 4 and what does she do when she gets there?
7. What does Bluish write on a sign she hangs around her neck and how does Dreenie help her with it?
8. With whom is Dreenie going to work on her project?
9. About what does Bluish speak to the class, what does she give them and how do they respond?
10. What does Mrs. Baker tell the students about why they are lucky and what does she say about the way the students are with Bluish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Christmas tree itself is an amalgamation of all the major holidays, with Christmas ornaments, a Jewish menorah, and a Kwanzaa candelabra. Multiculturalism and its associated virtues of tolerance and unity are clearly values the author wishes to celebrate.
1. Why do you think it is important to have many different cultures holidays acknowledged? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think tolerance of others is important in the world? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. What do you think humans could accomplish if instead wars humans were united across the world? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Willie is somewhat of a prodigy, and impresses teachers with her intelligence. Dreenie, by contrast, is "normal", and she is envious of the attention her sister gets and worried that she is a "dumbbell".
1. What do you think might be the difficulties a prodigy would face in life? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. If you are smarter than most people do you think it would be difficult not to feel superior to them? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think Dreenie's envy of her sister getting so much attention is a normal reaction? How do you think Dreenie might be able to overcome that envy? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Bluish and Dreenie share an emotional moment with the Blue Morpho butterfly, continues the notion that beauty can come from ugliness. Just like the lowly caterpillar can undergo a dramatic transformation into a beautiful butterfly, Bluish can emerge from this dark point in her life to "take flight" like the butterfly and emerge stronger and more beautiful than she was prior to the cancer.
1. Discuss how Bluish's situation from the beginning of the book to the end could be compared to the transformation of a caterpillar to a butterfly. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think that everyone can emerge from a dark situation in his or her life and emerge stronger? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Unfortunately, there are some children who are abused in this world. Some of those children grow up to be kind and loving adults while some become bitter and even violent. Why do you think this is true? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)