|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Ellsworth buy for Oceola?
(a) A violin.
(b) A grand piano.
(c) A cello.
(d) A guitar.
2. Where does Oceola meet Mrs. Ellsworth about the offer?
(b) A party.
(c) A school.
(d) A music room.
3. Why does Oceola receive Mrs. Ellsworth's help in the way that she does?
(a) She is suspicious.
(b) She hates Mrs. Ellsworth.
(c) She feels grateful.
(d) She feels she is undeserving.
4. What does Mrs. Ellsworth give to meet Oceola's needs?
(c) Time and money.
5. Where does Mrs. Ellsworth live?
(d) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does Mrs. Ellsworth have about a soprano?
2. What is the occupation of the person who recommends Oceola to Mrs. Ellsworth?
3. What is Mrs. Ellsworth's financial status?
4. What school did Oceola attend?
5. Who sets up the appointment for Oceola to meet Mrs. Ellsworth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Ellsworth announce to Oceola after their first meeting?
2. Why does Oceola respond to Mrs. Ellsworth's suggestion about Harlem the way that she does?
3. What did Oceola's parents do for a living?
4. Why is Oceola reluctant to meet with Mrs. Ellsworth?
5. How did Oceola learn piano?
6. What does Mrs. Ellsworth find out about the boarder through her inquiries to Mr. Hunter?
7. What did Oceola's mother do when they moved to St. Louis?
8. Why does Mrs. Ellsworth think that her artist/patron relationship with Oceola cannot be reconciled at the end of the story?
9. What does Mrs. Ellsworth say to Oceola concerning Pete at the end of "The Blues I'm Playing"?
10. What does Mrs. Ellsworth succeed in doing concerning Oceola in Section 4 of the story?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)