|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Ellsworth disgruntled about Oceola's boarder?
(a) Because he does not pay rent.
(b) Because he is a bad person.
(c) Because he is not good to Oceola.
(d) Because he is black.
2. When was Oceola born?
3. How did Oceola first learn to play piano?
(a) In school.
(b) Formal lessons.
(c) Mrs. Ellsworth taught her.
(d) By ear.
4. What kind of dresses does Mrs. Ellsworth have her dressmaker come up with?
(a) Ones for herself.
(b) Ones that would look good on dark skin.
(c) Ones for Oceola's mother.
(d) Ones for the soprano she rejected.
5. Who boarded with Oceola when she lived on her own?
(a) Mrs. Ellsworth.
(b) Mr. Hunter.
(c) She lived alone.
(d) Pete Williams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Oceola and her mother move after the death in their family?
2. Why does Mrs. Ellsworth want to provide specific things for Oceola?
3. What does Oceola share with Mrs. Ellsworth in the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What school did Oceola attend?
5. Who else is at the meeting that Oceola has with Mrs. Ellsworth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Ellsworth think that her artist/patron relationship with Oceola cannot be reconciled at the end of the story?
2. What does Mrs. Ellsworth do to find out more information about Oceola's boarder?
3. What does Mrs. Ellsworth do when she hears Oceola's response to her suggestion about Harlem?
4. What news does Oceola have for Mrs. Ellsworth when she comes back from a trip?
5. What does Mrs. Ellsworth do after Oceola's response to her suggestion?
6. How does Mrs. Ellsworth find out more about Oceola's relationship with the boarder in section 3 of the story?
7. What does Oceola think about Mrs. Ellsworth's attitude at the end of the story?
8. Describe Pete Williams.
9. How did Oceola learn piano?
10. What does Mrs. Ellsworth find fascinating during her time with Oceola in Section 2 of the story?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)