|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of dresses does Mrs. Ellsworth have her dressmaker come up with?
(a) Ones for the soprano she rejected.
(b) Ones that would look good on dark skin.
(c) Ones for herself.
(d) Ones for Oceola's mother.
2. What does Oceola's boarder do with his money?
(a) Supports his family.
(b) Saves up for medical school.
(c) Spends it on liquor.
(d) Spends it on a piano for Oceola.
3. What is the occupation of the person who recommends Oceola to Mrs. Ellsworth?
(a) Music teacher.
(b) Patron to artists.
(c) Choir director.
(d) Music critic.
4. Why is Mrs. Ellsworth disgruntled about Oceola's boarder?
(a) Because he is not good to Oceola.
(b) Because he is black.
(c) Because he does not pay rent.
(d) Because he is a bad person.
5. What did Oceola's mother do for a living?
(a) She was an engineer.
(b) She played for church choirs.
(c) She was a teacher.
(d) She was a dancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the service(s) that Mrs. Ellsworth insists on providing for Oceola?
2. What does Mrs. Ellsworth rely on to choose protegees?
3. Where does Mrs. Ellsworth live?
4. Why does Oceola receive Mrs. Ellsworth's help in the way that she does?
5. Where is Left Bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Oceola manage to attend college?
2. How does Oceola feel about art?
3. What does Oceola think about Mrs. Ellsworth's attitude at the end of the story?
4. What information causes Mrs. Ellsworth to become disgruntled after her investigation into Oceola's boarder?
5. What does Mrs. Ellsworth arrange for Oceola after she realizes she will not give up her passions?
6. What does Mrs. Ellsworth try to get Oceola to do after she finds out information about the boarder?
7. What did Oceola's parents do for a living?
8. Why does Mrs. Ellsworth decide to do these things for Oceola?
9. What happened the last time Oceola played for Mrs. Ellsworth?
10. What does Mrs. Ellsworth think about Oceola's situation with the boarder?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)