|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Oceola gone?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two months.
(d) One year.
2. What frustrates Oceola the most about other artists?
(a) Their genius.
(b) Their work ethic.
(d) Their lack of talent.
3. What are Mrs. Ellsworth's conclusions about Oceola and her boarder based on?
(a) Only her instincts.
(c) Her own interview with Oceola.
4. What passion does Mrs. Ellsworth think Oceola needs to remove from her life?
5. What is Oceola's apartment like?
(a) Spacious and organized.
(b) Small and cluttered.
(d) Extravagantly decorated.
6. What did Mrs. Ellsworth decide to make her business in regards to Oceola?
(a) To learn how to play piano.
(b) To stalk Oceola.
(c) To learn about Negro life.
(d) To control Oceola's every move.
7. What activity does Oceola continue to pursue despite Mrs. Ellsworth's disapproval?
(a) Studying music.
(b) Playing jazz at house parties.
(c) Practicing piano.
(d) Playing piano at her concerts.
8. What could people no longer afford after a worldwide event that occurs during Chapter 4 while Oceola is abroad?
9. Who decides not to attend the wedding?
(b) Mr. Hunter.
(d) Mrs. Ellsworth.
10. What best describes the way art didn't play a role in Oceola's life?
(b) Only one part of her life.
(c) Art as a complement to her life.
11. How did Oceola react to Mrs. Ellsworth's reaction to the boarder?
(a) She dwelled on it.
(b) She shrugged it off.
(c) She fought about it.
(d) She agreed with her.
12. Where does Mrs. Ellsworth send Oceola?
(a) The American South.
13. Where does Oceola find an appreciation for her type of music?
(a) The Village.
(c) The Berkshires.
14. How does Mrs. Ellsworth feel about the time she spends with Oceola?
15. What traits of Oceola does Mrs. Ellsworth think someone is taking advantage of?
(a) Her good nature and generosity.
(b) Her lack of intelligence.
(c) Her lack of strength.
(d) Her lack of responsibility.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Ellsworth do in response to Oceola's answer about moving in Chapter 3?
2. What kind of response to the letter does Oceola receive?
3. Where does Mrs. Ellsworth visit Oceola when Oceola is away from New York?
4. What best describes the part that art played in Oceola's life?
5. What does Oceola receive when she attends the event after she returns from her long trip?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)