|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened after Oceola and her mother moved the second time after the death in their family?
(a) Her mother died.
(b) Oceola lost her jobs.
(c) Oceola became sick.
(d) Her mother lost her job.
2. What is Mrs. Ellsworth's marital status?
3. How does Oceola receive Mrs. Ellsworth's help?
(a) With sadness.
(b) With enthusiasm.
(c) With anger.
(d) With resistance.
4. How did Oceola first learn to play piano?
(a) In school.
(b) Mrs. Ellsworth taught her.
(c) Formal lessons.
(d) By ear.
5. How many children does Mrs. Ellsworth have?
6. Where does Oceola live at the opening of the story?
(b) Right Bank.
(d) Left Bank.
7. Who gave Oceola her first lessons in playing piano?
(a) An elderly woman.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Mrs. Ellsworth.
(d) Mr. Hunter.
8. How did the person who recommends Oceola meet her?
(a) The person saw her at the university.
(b) The person saw her in Paris.
(c) The person saw her at a church concert.
(d) The person saw her at a party.
9. Which two characters are introduced first?
(a) Oceola and Mrs. Ellsworth.
(b) Oceola and Pete.
(c) Oceola and Mr. Hunter.
(d) Mr. Hunter and Mrs.Ellsworth.
10. What does Oceola share with Mrs. Ellsworth in the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Her romantic history.
(b) Her personal background.
(c) Her money.
11. What member of Oceola's family died before they moved again?
12. How does Mrs. Ellsworth receive the news of Oceola keeping a boarder?
(a) With anger.
(b) With surprise.
(c) With a neutral reaction.
(d) With understanding.
13. What does Oceola's boarder do with his money?
(a) Spends it on liquor.
(b) Supports his family.
(c) Saves up for medical school.
(d) Spends it on a piano for Oceola.
14. Why does Mrs. Ellsworth want to provide specific things for Oceola?
(a) So she can devote time only to her music.
(b) Simply to make Oceola happy.
(c) To make her life easier.
(d) She wants her to be her friend.
15. What did Oceola do in the new city?
(a) Play for a church choir.
(b) Become a housewife.
(c) Become a seamstress.
(d) Work in a factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Oceola do before she meets Mrs. Ellsworth?
2. Who did Oceola receive piano lessons from as she grew up?
3. Where did Oceola and her mother move after the death in their family?
4. What did Oceola do in college?
5. How does Mrs. Ellsworth support artists who create beauty?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)