|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gave Oceola her first lessons in playing piano?
(a) Her mother.
(b) An elderly woman.
(c) Mr. Hunter.
(d) Mrs. Ellsworth.
2. What is Mrs. Ellsworth's marital status?
3. What did Oceola do before she meets Mrs. Ellsworth?
(a) Played for a church choir.
(b) All of the choices listed.
(c) Taught piano.
(d) Played for dances and house parties.
4. Why does Oceola share with Mrs. Ellsworth?
(a) She wants to put out all the facts.
(b) Mrs. Ellsworth requested this.
(c) She wants to be closer to her.
(d) It is a requirement for her job.
5. Why does Oceola receive Mrs. Ellsworth's help in the way that she does?
(a) She feels she is undeserving.
(b) She is suspicious.
(c) She feels grateful.
(d) She hates Mrs. Ellsworth.
6. What kind of dresses does Mrs. Ellsworth have her dressmaker come up with?
(a) Ones for herself.
(b) Ones for the soprano she rejected.
(c) Ones that would look good on dark skin.
(d) Ones for Oceola's mother.
7. What member of Oceola's family died before they moved again?
8. What does Oceola share with Mrs. Ellsworth in the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Her money.
(b) Her personal background.
(c) Her romantic history.
9. Where does Oceola live at the opening of the story?
(c) Left Bank.
(d) Right Bank.
10. Where did Oceola's family settle after traveling?
11. Who else is at the meeting that Oceola has with Mrs. Ellsworth?
(b) Oceola's mother.
(c) Mr. Hunter.
(d) No one else.
12. How does Oceola receive Mrs. Ellsworth's help?
(a) With resistance.
(b) With sadness.
(c) With anger.
(d) With enthusiasm.
13. What does Oceola's boarder do with his money?
(a) Saves up for medical school.
(b) Spends it on a piano for Oceola.
(c) Spends it on liquor.
(d) Supports his family.
14. What is the ethnicity of the person Oceola receives piano lessons from?
15. When was Oceola born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Ellsworth disgruntled about Oceola's boarder?
2. What kind of home does Oceola have?
3. How did Oceola first learn to play piano?
4. What instrument(s) did Oceola's mother play?
5. What book does Mrs. Ellsworth get?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)