|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Oceola first learn to play piano?
(a) Formal lessons.
(b) Mrs. Ellsworth taught her.
(c) By ear.
(d) In school.
2. What member of Oceola's family died before they moved again?
3. Who gave Oceola her first lessons in playing piano?
(a) Her mother.
(b) An elderly woman.
(c) Mr. Hunter.
(d) Mrs. Ellsworth.
4. What point of view is the first section of "The Blues I'm Playing" written in?
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
(d) Second person.
5. What did Oceola do in college?
(a) Study and play piano.
(b) She dropped out.
(c) Study science.
(d) Study math.
6. What activity does Mrs. Ellsworth disapprove of most that Oceola did?
(a) Played for a church choir.
(b) Taught piano.
(c) All of the choices listed.
(d) Played for dances and house parties.
7. What did Oceola's mother do for a living?
(a) She was an engineer.
(b) She played for church choirs.
(c) She was a teacher.
(d) She was a dancer.
8. What does Oceola do for a living?
9. What does Mrs. Ellsworth think of Oceola's piano playing during their first meeting?
(a) She feels she has made the wrong decision.
(b) She is very impressed.
(c) She thinks it is average.
(d) She is disappointed.
10. Who did Oceola receive piano lessons from as she grew up?
(a) An elderly man.
(b) Mr. Hunter.
(c) Mrs. Ellsworth.
(d) An elderly woman.
11. What happened after Oceola and her mother moved the second time after the death in their family?
(a) Oceola lost her jobs.
(b) Her mother lost her job.
(c) Her mother died.
(d) Oceola became sick.
12. What is the occupation of Oceola's boarder?
(b) Medical student.
(c) Factory worker.
(d) No occupation.
13. What service does Mrs. Ellsworth insist on providing for Oceola?
(a) Revoking her offer to Oceola.
(b) Having her move into her house.
(c) Providing an instrument other than the piano for Oceola to play.
(d) Providing a teacher for Oceola.
14. What book does Mrs. Ellsworth get?
(a) Nigger Moon.
(b) Great Expectations.
(d) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
15. What does Oceola share with Mrs. Ellsworth in the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Her personal background.
(b) Her money.
(c) Her romantic history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ethnicity of the person Oceola receives piano lessons from?
2. What is the occupation of the person who recommends Oceola to Mrs. Ellsworth?
3. What do Mrs. Ellsworth and Oceola do while she conducts the interview?
4. Where does Oceola meet Mrs. Ellsworth about the offer?
5. What does Mrs. Ellsworth do for a living?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)