|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Delia's mood this morning?
2. How does Angel respond to Leland's marriage proposal?
3. What does Guy suggest to Delia?
4. What does Leland bring with him when he arrives this morning?
5. What does Angel admit to Leland after he questions her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the state of the finances of the people of Harlem in 1930? How do most of the people fare during the Great Depression? How do people in regular jobs like Sam and Delia fare as opposed to those in the entertainment industry such as Guy and Angel? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)