|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Angel been doing as Act 1, Scene 3 begins?
2. Who sent the cable to Guy?
3. What kind of luck has Angel had with men?
4. Who helps Delia with a speech she has to deliver?
5. What does Nick do to Angel tonight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sam and how is he introduced into the story?
2. What news does Angel give Guy this morning?
3. What news does Sam deliver to Angel and how does she respond?
4. Who is Delia and how is she introduced?
5. What is Guy's response to the eviction notice?
6. Explain how Angel is a woman caught between two worlds.
7. What is Guy's mood as Act 1, Scene 5 begins?
8. What important themes does the author reinforce during this scene?
9. What is the purpose of Delia's speech at the Abyssinian Church?
10. How does Angel feel about having Leland in her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Leland. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Cleage's use of humor in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)