|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is considering a relationship with Delia?
2. What does Angel tell Leland?
3. Who had provided Angel's apartment for her?
4. What would Leland like to do with Angel?
5. How long has Leland been in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Delia's speech at the Abyssinian Church?
2. What other bad news does Angel learn this evening?
3. Who are the important people in American history with whom the characters interact?
4. What does Leland bring with him when he comes to see Angel this morning?
5. Who are the first characters introduced in Act 1, Scene 1 and what are they doing?
6. What is Delia doing in guy's apartment and why does she need to leave?
7. What important themes does the author reinforce during this scene?
8. What has happened to Angel during the time after Sam's murder?
9. What news lifts Angel's spirits?
10. What is Guy's mood as Act 1, Scene 5 begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2Create a brief character study of Angel. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3Even though they are both single, black women, Angel and Delia seem very different. Compare and contrast Angel and Delia. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)