|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had provided Angel's apartment for her?
2. Leland is intent on finding a new ____________.
3. When does Angel agree to go out with Leland?
4. Why is Angel upset when she returns home?
5. For what type of job has Angel looked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leland react to news of Angel's pregnancy?
2. Who is the guest of honor at the party attended by Guy and Angel?
3. What is Leland's reaction to Guy's homosexuality?
4. How has the topic of women's rights and family planning become personal for this small group of friends?
5. What are Leland's religious plans?
6. Who are the important people in American history with whom the characters interact?
7. What do Sam and Delia tell the others about the meeting at the Abyssinian Church?
8. How does Leland react to Angel's news about the abortion?
9. What is Guy's mood as Act 1, Scene 5 begins?
10. What is happening socially and culturally in America that present challenges to the characters?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)