|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Delia established in Harlem?
2. What is Sam Thomas' profession?
3. What is Angel doing as she talks to Guy?
4. Who is pastor of The Abyssinian Church?
5. What major historical event is America facing at the time of this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's message with this play?
2. What is the purpose of Delia's speech at the Abyssinian Church?
3. How does Leland react about Angel's decision?
4. What has happened to Delia's clinic plans as Act 2, Scene 3 opens?
5. What is Delia doing in guy's apartment and why does she need to leave?
6. What news does Sam deliver to Angel and how does she respond?
7. What is Angel's mood as Act 1, Scene 3 begins?
8. Who are the first characters introduced in Act 1, Scene 1 and what are they doing?
9. How does the play end?
10. Why does Leland end up coming back to Guy's apartment?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Angel. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Even though they are both single, black women, Angel and Delia seem very different. Compare and contrast Angel and Delia. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of hope. Identify at least two themes about hope in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)