Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of jobs is Guy forced to take now?
2. Who is Delia's heroine?
3. What does Angel become for Tony?
4. With whom does Angel have a date tonight?
5. Which of the following does not describe the dress that Leland has brought for Angel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Guy's response to the eviction notice?
2. Who are the first characters introduced in Act 1, Scene 1 and what are they doing?
3. Who arrives unexpectedly to see Angel as she is home alone?
4. What important themes does the author reinforce during this scene?
5. What happens when Angel returns to the apartment?
6. What gift has Leland brought for Angel?
7. What is Angel's mood as Act 1, Scene 3 begins?
8. Who will be going to France with Guy?
9. What decision does Angel make and how does she involve Sam?
10. What long term advice does Delia give Angel?
Essay Topic 1
The setting of the book is New York City in America during the height of the Great Depression. Explain how this affected people in America overall. Then drill down to explain how people in New York were affected. Why is there more opportunity for people such as Guy to live and work in Europe? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Angel. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of black women in the 1930s. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)