|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man Angel is to audition for?
2. How long ago did Leland's wife die?
3. Where does Guy want to go to design costumes?
4. Who is pastor of The Abyssinian Church?
5. What kind of jobs is Guy forced to take now?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leland react about Angel's decision?
2. Explain how Angel is a woman caught between two worlds.
3. What is Leland's reaction to Guy's homosexuality?
4. What is Delia doing in guy's apartment and why does she need to leave?
5. What important themes does the author reinforce during this scene?
6. What secret does Gus keep from Angel?
7. What happens when Angel returns to the apartment?
8. What decision does Angel make and how does she involve Sam?
9. Who is the guest of honor at the party attended by Guy and Angel?
10. How does Leland react to news of Angel's pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of hope. Identify at least two themes about hope in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of black women in the 1930s. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Leland. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)