|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is considering a relationship with Delia?
2. What kind of jobs is Guy forced to take now?
3. What is Sam celebrating tonight?
4. How did Leland's wife die?
5. What has Angel been doing as Act 1, Scene 3 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Guy's dream?
2. What is happening socially and culturally in America that present challenges to the characters?
3. What happens when Angel returns to the apartment?
4. When does Angel finally tell Leland the truth about the abortion?
5. How does the play end?
6. What is Angel's mood as Act 1, Scene 3 begins?
7. What does Leland bring with him when he comes to see Angel this morning?
8. What has happened to Delia's clinic plans as Act 2, Scene 3 opens?
9. What are Leland's religious plans?
10. Why does Angel end up staying at Gus' apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sam. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Even though they are both single, black women, Angel and Delia seem very different. Compare and contrast Angel and Delia. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)