|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the box that Leland leaves for Angel?
2. What is the setting for BLUES FOR AN ALABAMA SKY?
3. What major historical event is America facing at the time of this play?
4. Which of the following has Angel not lost recently?
5. What kind of jobs is Guy forced to take now?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Angel so upset when she arrives home?
2. What decision has Angel made which is very upsetting for her?
3. What are Leland's religious plans?
4. What other bad news does Angel learn this evening?
5. What is Guy's response to the eviction notice?
6. What news lifts Angel's spirits?
7. Why does Leland end up coming back to Guy's apartment?
8. What secret does Gus keep from Angel?
9. What is the author's message with this play?
10. How is Leland's naivete becoming more obvious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Cleage use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of black women in the 1930s. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)