|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the box that Leland leaves for Angel?
2. Why does Guy not tell Angel he has lost his job?
3. What is Leland's line of work?
4. What drives Angel further into despair?
5. What is the setting for BLUES FOR AN ALABAMA SKY?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision has Angel made which is very upsetting for her?
2. What is the purpose of Delia's speech at the Abyssinian Church?
3. How is Leland's naivete becoming more obvious?
4. What good news has finally come in for Guy?
5. What news does Sam deliver to Angel and how does she respond?
6. Who arrives unexpectedly to see Angel as she is home alone?
7. What is the reason for Angel's being drunk?
8. How does the play end?
9. How does Leland react to Angel's news about the abortion?
10. Who is Delia and how is she introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Leland. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Cleage use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)