|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for BLUES FOR AN ALABAMA SKY?
2. Who is Sam Thomas?
3. Why is Angel upset when she returns home?
4. What is Leland's line of work?
5. What does Angel tell Leland about her religious beliefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Gus keep from Angel?
2. What does Leland bring with him when he comes to see Angel this morning?
3. What does Delia do after her proposed clinic site is destroyed?
4. Who are the first characters introduced in Act 1, Scene 1 and what are they doing?
5. What is happening socially and culturally in America that present challenges to the characters?
6. How has the topic of women's rights and family planning become personal for this small group of friends?
7. What is the purpose of Delia's speech at the Abyssinian Church?
8. Who will be going to France with Guy?
9. What has happened to Angel during the time after Sam's murder?
10. Why is Angel so upset when she arrives home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Delia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,452 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)