|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many job offers has Angel received?
2. Why does Angel accept the proposal from Tony?
3. Who is Angel's boss and boyfriend?
4. How did Leland's wife die?
5. How much time has passed since the last scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What long term advice does Delia give Angel?
2. What does the character of Leland represent in the story?
3. Why does Angel end up staying at Gus' apartment?
4. What news does Angel give Guy this morning?
5. Explain how Angel is a woman caught between two worlds.
6. What is Delia doing in guy's apartment and why does she need to leave?
7. What is the reason for Angel's being drunk?
8. How has the topic of women's rights and family planning become personal for this small group of friends?
9. How does Angel try to cool Leland's ardor about marriage plans?
10. What important themes does the author reinforce during this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Cleage's use of humor in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of black women in the 1930s. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)