|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sam Thomas?
2. What does Angel tell Leland?
3. What has Angel been doing today?
4. For what type of job has Angel looked?
5. What advice does Delia give to Angel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's message with this play?
2. What is Angel doing as Act 1, Scene 4 begins?
3. What is Angel's mood as Act 1, Scene 3 begins?
4. What gift has Leland brought for Angel?
5. What happens when Leland runs into Sam in the apartment building?
6. What has happened to Delia's clinic plans as Act 2, Scene 3 opens?
7. What news does Angel give Guy this morning?
8. Why does Leland end up coming back to Guy's apartment?
9. How do Guy and Angel view their circumstances differently?
10. Who will be going to France with Guy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Cleage use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)