|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for BLUES FOR AN ALABAMA SKY?
2. What has Angel been doing today?
3. What is Delia's profession?
4. When does Angel agree to go out with Leland?
5. Why does Angel accept the proposal from Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Delia and how is she introduced?
2. How does Angel try to cool Leland's ardor about marriage plans?
3. What is the purpose of Delia's speech at the Abyssinian Church?
4. What happens when Leland arrives at Guy's apartment to pick up Angel?
5. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 1?
6. Who will be going to France with Guy?
7. Who is Sam and how is he introduced into the story?
8. What secret does Gus keep from Angel?
9. What are Leland's religious plans?
10. What news does Angel give Guy this morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though they are both single, black women, Angel and Delia seem very different. Compare and contrast Angel and Delia. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Cleage use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Sam. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)