|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is considering a relationship with Delia?
2. Who is Sam Thomas?
3. Who goes to dinner with Sam and Delia?
4. What time is it when the play begins?
5. What kind of luck has Angel had with men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the important people in American history with whom the characters interact?
2. Why does Leland end up coming back to Guy's apartment?
3. How does Angel try to cool Leland's ardor about marriage plans?
4. How is Leland's naivete becoming more obvious?
5. What happens when Leland arrives at Guy's apartment to pick up Angel?
6. What happens when Angel returns to the apartment?
7. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 1?
8. When does Angel finally tell Leland the truth about the abortion?
9. Who is the guest of honor at the party attended by Guy and Angel?
10. What is happening socially and culturally in America that present challenges to the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sam. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the state of the finances of the people of Harlem in 1930? How do most of the people fare during the Great Depression? How do people in regular jobs like Sam and Delia fare as opposed to those in the entertainment industry such as Guy and Angel? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Delia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)