|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What place does Mr. Larkin finish in in the contest?
2. Why does Mrs. Larkin not want to go to a hospital?
3. What does Lupe say she would buy if she had a lot of money?
4. On what festival day do the students dance around a maypole at school?
5. Who does Lupe tell Janey is the new teacher at the Regular School?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who intrudes on Janey's contentment as she sits watching the ducks?
2. Why does Janey go to the Anderson house prior to the Larkin family's leaving the area and what does she learn from Mr. Anderson regarding her willow plate?
3. Why does Dad enter into a fight with Bounce that could land Dad in jail?
4. How does Janey know that her Mom is very sick?
5. How is the family relieved as Mom's condition continues to improve?
6. Why does Janey have so much anxiety about the cotton picking contest?
7. What does Janey offer to Bounce as rent payment so that he will leave the house?
8. Explain how Janey knows that she is really home in the new house with the new furniture.
9. Why does Janey attend the Camp School instead of the Regular School?
10. What does Janey note about the differences in her parents and she relates to each of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
BLUE WILLOW is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Need takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the Larkins' need? How were others like them also haunted by need? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)