|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Larkins buy with Mr. Larkin's prize money?
2. Mr. Romero tells Mr. Larkin that a man has some _________________ trees that need to be trimmed.
3. On what festival day do the students dance around a maypole at school?
4. Mr. Larkin says that ________________ is/are as necessary today as it/they was/were in the time of King Arthur.
5. Why is Janey hesitant to allow the doctor to come to their house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the eucalyptus tree job mean for the Larkin family?
2. Why does Janey have so much anxiety about the cotton picking contest?
3. Who all participates in Mrs. Larkin's care?
4. What memory is prompted for Janey when seeing cows outside on a cold night?
5. What disease is Mom diagnosed as having?
6. Explain what Janey knows about the Camp School.
7. Why does Janey offer the willow plate to Dr. Pierce as payment for Mom's care?
8. Describe Janey's first day at Camp School.
9. What does the large pile of firewood at the house signify for Janey?
10. Why does Janey attend the Camp School instead of the Regular School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Janey learns from her mother? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Janey always recall about her mother from their experiences in California during the Great Depression?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in BLUE WILLOW. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Janey. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)