|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much rent money does Mr. Anderson return to the Larkins?
2. Where do many of the workers live?
3. What does the doctor take in form of payment for his services?
4. What disease does the doctor say Mrs. Larkin has?
5. To whom does the doctor give care instructions for Mrs. Larkin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janey do to prevent Bounce from shooting the ducks she has been watching?
2. Why does Dad enter into a fight with Bounce that could land Dad in jail?
3. What does the large pile of firewood at the house signify for Janey?
4. Explain how Janey knows that she is really home in the new house with the new furniture.
5. Why does Janey have so much anxiety about the cotton picking contest?
6. Describe Janey's first day at Camp School.
7. What is Janey's frame of mind as she sits watching the ducks on the water?
8. What is Janey's reasoning for gauging the teacher by how the teacher reacts to the horned toad?
9. How does Janey know that her Mom is very sick?
10. What does Janey note about the differences in her parents and she relates to each of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Larkin. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in America during the Great Depression. What precedents do these women feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? How were their lives significantly more difficult than the lives of 21st century women?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)