|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Anderson's first name?
2. What is Mom's name?
3. What does the person in #83 think Janey wants to do at the farm?
4. What does Janey say is better than brothers and sisters?
5. What color dress does Lupe wear to the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bounce's secretive behavior about the rent and why does Janey not like him?
2. What is the significance of the blue willow plate to Janey?
3. Who is Bounce Reyburn and how do the Larkins encounter him?
4. How could Janey's comment about Lupe's skin be considered prejudiced?
5. Where do the Larkins go on an outing when Dad is off work?
6. What has Janey always longed to do in a permanent place?
7. What is Bounce's role on the ranch and what authority does he say he has regarding rent?
8. How does Janey finally decide to spend her own nickel?
9. How old is Janey Larkin and what is she doing as the novel begins?
10. Why is paying rent good news for Janey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mr. Anderson. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Mr. Anderson's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Janey learns from her father? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Janey always recall about her father from their experiences in California during the Great Depression?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)