|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bounce warn Mr. Larkin not to do?
2. What is Janey's last name?
3. Dad announces that there won't be work for the next three days because of _______________________.
4. What does Janey wear to the destination in #34?
5. What ride does Janey ride at the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bounce's secretive behavior about the rent and why does Janey not like him?
2. What is the image on the blue willow plate?
3. How does Janey finally decide to spend her own nickel?
4. What does Dad say about work on the ranch that disappoints Janey?
5. Where do the Larkins go on an outing when Dad is off work?
6. How old is Janey Larkin and what is she doing as the novel begins?
7. Why does Janey decide not to make any effort to see if there are any kids living in the Mexican family nearby?
8. What has Janey always longed to do in a permanent place?
9. What is the significance of the blue willow plate to Janey?
10. Why is the nickel such a big thing for Mom to give to Janey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Doris Gates is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Janey. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Doris Gates' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)