|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following images is NOT on the willow plate?
2. What is Janey's last name?
3. Janey seldom has the chance to ________________.
4. Who appears at the Larkins' shack at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What color dress does Lupe wear to the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is Janey Larkin and what is she doing as the novel begins?
2. What is the significance of the blue willow plate to Janey?
3. How does Janey finally decide to spend her own nickel?
4. How does Dad show that he can be content with his life the way it is?
5. Where is Janey invited to go with the Romeros?
6. What is known about Janey's mother and the woman she calls Mom?
7. Why is Janey jealous of Lupe?
8. Why does Janey wish for a brother or a sister?
9. What does Dad say about work on the ranch that disappoints Janey?
10. Why is paying rent good news for Janey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Janey. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply BLUE WILLOW. What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 3
Doris Gates is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)