|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drives Lupe and Janey to their destination?
2. What are Janey and her family doing as the story begins?
3. What does Lupe ask Janey when they meet?
4. What does Janey find notable about a scene that she sees?
5. What has Mr. Romero established in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the image on the blue willow plate?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding the willow plate in Chapter 4?
3. Why is paying rent good news for Janey?
4. Who is Lupe Romero and how does Janey encounter her?
5. Why does Janey wish for a brother or a sister?
6. Why are the Larkins living the way they are now in California?
7. What is known about Janey's mother and the woman she calls Mom?
8. What is the significance of the nickel in terms of how Mom feels for Janey's good fortune?
9. What is Bounce's secretive behavior about the rent and why does Janey not like him?
10. How could Janey's comment about Lupe's skin be considered prejudiced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Doris Gates' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Larkin. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply BLUE WILLOW. What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)