|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Janey happy that her father pays the rent for the shack?
2. Lupe says that her baby sister is ________________.
3. Why is Mom worried about Janey?
4. What does Bounce sign after Dad writes it?
5. What does the man in #61 want from the Larkins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the blue willow plate to Janey?
2. How old is Janey Larkin and what is she doing as the novel begins?
3. Where is Janey invited to go with the Romeros?
4. What is the image on the blue willow plate?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding the willow plate in Chapter 4?
6. What is Bounce's secretive behavior about the rent and why does Janey not like him?
7. What conclusion does Janey come to regarding Lupe's skin color?
8. What has Janey always longed to do in a permanent place?
9. What is known about Janey's mother and the woman she calls Mom?
10. What exhibits do Janey and Lupe look at at the fair and why does Lupe reason that Janey wants to stay by herself in the library booth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Janey learns from her mother? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Janey always recall about her mother from their experiences in California during the Great Depression?
Essay Topic 3
BLUE WILLOW is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)