|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Janey's family has little time for _______________.
2. Who appears at the Larkins' shack at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What does Lupe say is always in the same place at the fair?
4. How long has Lupe's family lived in their house?
5. Who owns the ranch and the shack where the Larkins live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dad show that he can be content with his life the way it is?
2. What does Dad say about work on the ranch that disappoints Janey?
3. Why is paying rent good news for Janey?
4. What is the image on the blue willow plate?
5. What does Mom say at the riverbank that surprises Janey for its poetry?
6. What is Bounce's secretive behavior about the rent and why does Janey not like him?
7. What does Mom give to Janey to take to the fair?
8. Where do the Larkins go on an outing when Dad is off work?
9. What is the significance of the nickel in terms of how Mom feels for Janey's good fortune?
10. What is Bounce's role on the ranch and what authority does he say he has regarding rent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Larkin. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Janey learns from her father? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Janey always recall about her father from their experiences in California during the Great Depression?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)