Chapters 1 and 2
• Jenny Larkin is a ten-year-old girl sitting on the steps of a shack into which her mother and father and she are moving as yet one more temporary home.
• Janey meets a girl named Lupe from a Mexican family--the Romeros--living nearby but Janey is not sure it is worth the effort to make friends because her family will just be picking up and moving again soon.
• Lupe's family has lived in this location for a year and Janey is envious of living in one place for that amount of time.
• Although Janey does not have a brother or sister as Lupe does, Janey has a blue willow plate which she feels is more valuable than siblings.
• The blue willow plate had belonged to Janey's great-grandmother and was passed down to Janey's biological mother who has died.
• The woman Janey now calls Mom came into Janey's life...
This section contains 1,810 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)