|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Curt's thoughts about jail?
2. What does "Blue Serge" actually mean?
3. How does Curt explain himself and the statement he makes about Sandy in Act 1, Scene 8?
4. What do the police do at the massage parlor in Act 2, Scene 6?
5. What has Curt been doing for the last four years of his relationship with Beth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there evidence in the play to support Doug's feeling that Heather might be faking her interest in him?
2. Does Curt have any real reason to feel like Beth keeps him around so she can feel good about herself? Use evidence from the play to support your answer.
3. What about Sandy's personality makes her horrified at Curt stealing the money? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
4. In Act 2, Scene 6, how does Doug encourage Curt?
5. Is there evidence to support the fact that Curt may be in some trouble after stealing the money?
6. How does Sandy react when Beth arrives at Curt's apartment and finds her there? Have examples from Act 2, Scene 1, support your answer.
7. In Act 2, Scene 5, what is Curt trying to do by showing up to warn Sandy and give her money?
8. How does Curt upset Sandy in Act 1, Scene 8? Is there evidence in the same scene that Curt's intentions weren't to hurt her?
9. Sandy's mother has been married five times. Why was the death of one of those husbands so upsetting to her?
10. Is there evidence in Act 2,Scene 1, to justify Beth being upset that Sandy is wearing Curt's clothes and has obviously been sleeping at the apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the play is "Blue Surge," and there is a song that Curt likes that is titled "Blue Serge."
1. What does "Surge" mean? What does "Serge" mean? What is the difference between the two titles?
2. What did the song "Blue Serge" mean to Curt when he thought the title was "Blue Surge"?
3. How is the title "Blue Surge" appropriate for this play? Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of foul language throughout the play by both the men and women.
1. Does the language convey appropriate emotion? Would there have been a different way to express that emotion?
2. How does the language affect the controversial element of the play?
3. What does the language show us about the characters' environment?
Essay Topic 3
Curt and Beth have a confrontation after Beth finds Curt alone with Sandy. Beth doesn't understand why Curt can talk to Sandy but not to her.
1. Why does Curt feel that he can't talk to Beth? What attracted Curt to Beth in the first place? Was money always an issue? Use examples from the play to support.
2. Is Curt right in his beliefs that If you are poor as a child, you are destined to be poor as an adult? Why or why not? Do the characters in the play seem to support Curt's beliefs? Use examples to support.
3. How would the play have changed if Beth hadn't been included? Is her character important to the theme and impact of the play as a whole? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)