|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens with the prostitutes in Act 2, Scene 6?
2. What does Curt reveal to Doug about Beth in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. In what setting does Act 2 begin?
4. Why does Doug believe that the police force is raiding the massage parlor in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. What is the source of Doug being upset in Act 2, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Curt react to Beth's suggestion that he move past his childhood in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. Is there evidence to support the fact that Curt may be in some trouble after stealing the money?
3. How does Curt feel about Sandy arriving at this apartment in the middle of the night?
4. How does Heather react to what has happened with Sandy's apartment?
5. What evidence from Act 2, Scene 2, supports the fact that Doug seems interested in Heather as more than just a prostitute?
6. Does Curt have any real reason to feel like Beth keeps him around so she can feel good about herself? Use evidence from the play to support your answer.
7. In Act 2, Scene 4, Doug is very upset about the possibility of people being arrested during the raid at he massage parlor. What are the reasons for his feelings?
8. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Curt so upset about the raid?
9. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does Curt tell Doug is the reason that makes it so easy for Curt and Beth to end a four-year relationship?
10. Where does Sandy go to for help before returning to her apartment to find the padlocked door in Act 2, Scene 2? What happens when she gets there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Curt has a dream of living by the state park and being a volunteer guide. Sandy has dreams of living in a beautiful home.
1. Do their dreams seem to make them more sad or give them something to hope for? Have examples to support.
2. Based on what we know about Curt and Sandy, are their goals attainable? Have examples to support.
3. Would we know as much about Curt and Sandy if the author hadn't included their goals in the play? What do their dreams reveal about them as people? Do their dreams make you like them more or less or not influence at all? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Curt and Sandy discuss how they feel like they are watching themselves while alone in the state park.
1. What do they mean be this statement? How can someone watch themselves?
2. What does this quality reveal about both characters? Use examples from the play to support.
3. Do any elements about Doug and Sandy suggest that they understand how to watch themselves? Have examples from the play to support.
Essay Topic 3
There is a large age difference between Curt and Sandy and Heather and Doug, and the 15-20 years between them doesn't seem to bother either couple.
1. What about the men makes it easy for them to date someone so young? Include examples from the book.
2. What about the women makes it easy for them to date someone so much older? Include examples from the book.
3. Did the author purposefully have the characters be so far apart in age? Why or why not? Would the play have had the same impact if the characters were closer in age? Why or why not? What about it would be different? What about it would be the same?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)