|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doug reveal about his social life to Curt in Act 1, Scene 7?
2. Why did Curt not go to college?
3. What information is Sandy waiting for at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Why does Curt ask Sandy to help him?
5. What does Sandy offer to do if Curt asks her at the end of Act 1, Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Curt and Sandy's time together in Act 1, Scene 1, seem awkward?
2. Is their evidence in Act 1, Scene 6, to support the fact that Sandy and Curt are attracted to each other as more than just friends?
3. Why would Heather offer more than just a massage to Doug?
4. What does Sandy's relaxation place reveal about her?
5. Why would Doug strip naked and just stand there waiting for Heather to come back?
6. Based on Doug's conversation with Curt, will Doug go back to the massage parlor and pay for another form of sex with Heather?
7. Based on Curt's actions toward Doug in Act 1, Scene 7, does it appear that Curt has feelings for Sandy?
8. Why is Sandy arrested?
9. Sandy gives Curt a special massage to try to ease his tension. What does Sandy do during the special massage?
10. Are there reasons in the play that indicate that Heather should have been fired from her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prostitution is a key element in the play, and the sexual favors the women offer are frequently described.
1. Does the topic of prostitution make this play controversial? Why?
2. Are the Christian Coalition people right in protesting around the massage parlor in an effort to end prostitution in their community, or should they leave the women alone and allow them to earn a living?
3. Is prostitution something that is prevalent in society today?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the play is "Blue Surge."
1. How is it an appropriate title for this play? Use examples to support.
2. Is it still an appropriate title when we meet the characters a year later? Why or why not? Use examples to support.
3. What would need to change in the play so that the title would no longer make sense?
Essay Topic 3
Sandy comes home to find her apartment destroyed and chained closed because Heather allowed her friends to have free reign of Sandy's apartment.
1. Should Sandy have to suffer because of Heather's mistakes? Was Sandy partially responsible for what happened to the apartment? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support.
2. What does Heather's behavior with the apartment show about her character? Use examples from the play to support.
3. How would the story have changed if Heather or Sandy had been more responsible for the apartment? How would this change have impacted the outcome of the play? Use examples from the play to support.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)