|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Doug's role in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What kind of massage does Curt imply he is looking for from Sandy?
3. How does Heather react to what Doug does to her in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Where are Curt and Beth headed for the evening in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. How does Curt react to the information about Sandy from Doug at the end of Act 1, Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is their evidence in Act 1, Scene 6, to support the fact that Sandy and Curt are attracted to each other as more than just friends?
2. How does Curt react to Doug's statements about Sandy in Act 1, Scene 7?
3. What makes Curt and Sandy's time together in Act 1, Scene 1, seem awkward?
4. Are Curt and Beth in love?
5. Are there reasons in the play that indicate that Heather should have been fired from her job?
6. Based on Doug's conversation with Curt, will Doug go back to the massage parlor and pay for another form of sex with Heather?
7. Does Doug have a right to arrest Heather? Support your answer with evidence.
8. Why would Doug strip naked and just stand there waiting for Heather to come back?
9. Who is the more experienced officer, Doug or Curt? Why?
10. Why is Beth so intent on Curt pursuing the promotion to lieutenant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beth spends a great deal of time encouraging Curt to improve himself and advance his career.
1. Does Beth want Curt to improve and get a promotion because she loves him? Have examples to support.
2. Why does Curt believe that Beth only keeps him around so she can feel good about herself while she looks down on him? Have examples to support.
3. What might be another motive of Beth's that causes her to continue to encourage Curt to get his promotion? Use examples from the play to support.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the play is "Blue Surge."
1. How is it an appropriate title for this play? Use examples to support.
2. Is it still an appropriate title when we meet the characters a year later? Why or why not? Use examples to support.
3. What would need to change in the play so that the title would no longer make sense?
Essay Topic 3
Curt and Doug are partners. At the beginning of the play, Curt is the strong one of the duo and is understanding of Doug's irresponsible ways. By the end, Doug is supporting Curt and understanding of his mistakes, telling him to get his life together before he ruins it completely.
1. What makes Doug grow up and take over Curt's responsible role? Use examples from the play to support.
2. A year later, Doug seems to still be helping Curt along. Why was Curt never able to return to his original role of being the strong one in the relationship? Have examples from the play to support.
3. What has helped Doug remain strong and supportive and able to help Curt through his tough time? Why didn't he stay irresponsible? Use examples from the play to support.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)