|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Curt sign the paper?
2. What is Curt hoping he does not lose as a result of the failed bust at the massage parlor?
3. What does Doug hope $200 will buy him?
4. What is Curt's job?
5. How does Doug know about the new policies at the massage parlor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sandy arrested?
2. Why does Curt want to help Sandy find a new line of work?
3. Is their evidence in Act 1, Scene 6, to support the fact that Sandy and Curt are attracted to each other as more than just friends?
4. Why does Curt feel the need to have Sandy over to his apartment?
5. Are Heather's clothes typical of a massage therapist?
6. How does Curt react to Doug's statements about Sandy in Act 1, Scene 7?
7. Based on what you have read so far through Act 1, Scene 4, predict if Curt and Beth's relationship will last. .
8. Does Doug have a right to arrest Heather? Support your answer with evidence.
9. Why did Sandy leave her mother's home at such a young age?
10. Why would Doug strip naked and just stand there waiting for Heather to come back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Curt is desperate to help Sandy have a different life and career even after she has told him that she doesn't want to change and has returned to prostitution. He thinks she does what she does because she has had a stroke of bad luck but can change things for the better.
1. Is Sandy a prostitute because she has had bad luck? What luck has caused her to travel down the road of prostitution? Does she ever show any desire to be something else? Use examples from the play to support.
2. What is Curt's motivation behind his desperate attempt to get her out of prostitution? Is he selfless or selfish? Have examples from the book to support.
3. Could Sandy change her lifestyle if she wanted to? What are some things that Sandy would be able to do that would earn her as much money? Be sure to support your answers with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the play is "Blue Surge," and there is a song that Curt likes that is titled "Blue Serge."
1. What does "Surge" mean? What does "Serge" mean? What is the difference between the two titles?
2. What did the song "Blue Serge" mean to Curt when he thought the title was "Blue Surge"?
3. How is the title "Blue Surge" appropriate for this play? Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of foul language throughout the play by both the men and women.
1. Does the language convey appropriate emotion? Would there have been a different way to express that emotion?
2. How does the language affect the controversial element of the play?
3. What does the language show us about the characters' environment?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)