|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cowboy ask the Swede?
2. What do the men decide to do after supper?
3. What are the men doing at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. How does Scully begin to speak as he gets agitated?
5. What is Scully's demeanor during the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
2. How does the cowboy antagonize the Swede when he is ready to leave the hotel?
3. How does the author use foreshadowing in the behavior of Johnnie and the Swede prior to the card game?
4. What words mark the climax of the story?
5. How do the characters remain in their stereotypical roles during and after the fight?
6. How does the fight actually end?
7. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
8. How is another card game decided after supper?
9. What do the stove and the cardboard box represent in Chapter 7?
10. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the blue hotel symbolize in the story? Is there a reason Scully chose the color blue? Are there any psychological or cultural reasons for Scully's choice of color? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Johnnie and the Swede. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two?
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the stove. What does the stove symbolize for the men? What does it mean for Scully?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)