|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes the referee for the fight?
2. How does Scully begin to speak as he gets agitated?
3. Where does the Swede go after the fight is over?
4. Who does the Swede mock as he leaves the hotel?
5. Scully and the cowboy describe __________________ .
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Scully has lost all reserves and control of his behavior after the Swede leaves?
2. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
3. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
4. Describe the Swede's snide behavior as he leaves the hotel.
5. How does the cowboy's anger exhibit during the fight and what does he yell?
6. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
7. How does Chapter 8 begin?
8. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
9. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
10. How do the characters remain in their stereotypical roles during and after the fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Crane use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Crane is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the Easterner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)