|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Swede go to escape the weather?
2. What remains the constant source of comfort in the story?
3. What is Scully's demeanor during the fight?
4. What meal is served at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What does the bartender pretend not to notice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
2. Describe the weather the men encounter when they go outside for the fight.
3. How does the cowboy's anger exhibit during the fight and what does he yell?
4. How is another card game decided after supper?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing in the behavior of Johnnie and the Swede prior to the card game?
6. What do the stove and the cardboard box represent in Chapter 7?
7. How does the cowboy show that he is still agitated by the fight and what is Scully's response toward him?
8. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
9. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
10. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of alienation. Identify at least two instances about alienation in the book and then cite an examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of the Easterner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Antagonism takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)