|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Scully hear that disrupts his evening?
2. Scully and the cowboy describe __________________ .
3. What is Scully's demeanor during the fight?
4. Where do the men decide to go to settle the argument?
5. Who is the man who accuses someone of cheating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
2. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
3. What words mark the climax of the story?
4. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
5. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
6. Describe the Swede's snide behavior as he leaves the hotel.
7. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
8. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
9. How does the author show that Scully has lost all reserves and control of his behavior after the Swede leaves?
10. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crane uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
THE BLUE HOTEL is a classic story of fear and reprisal. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the cowboy. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)