|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Scully tells the cowboy that it ________________________ to fight the Swede.
2. Who jumps in the air when the fight begins?
3. Which of the following does not describe the conditions outside?
4. Why do the men have trouble hearing each other outside?
5. Where does Scully go after supper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
2. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
3. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
4. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
5. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
6. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
7. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing in the behavior of Johnnie and the Swede prior to the card game?
9. How do the cowboy and the Easterner anticipate the fight as they stand in the cold?
10. How does the cowboy show that he is still agitated by the fight and what is Scully's response toward him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Scully. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Stephen Crane was an author known for naturalism in his work. Cite at least three examples of naturalism in THE BLUE HOTEL and give reasons for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Crane use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)