|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Swede's demeanor when he prepares to leave the hotel?
2. Who is the man accused of cheating?
3. What does Scully tell the Swede that he owes him?
4. What does the Swede stare at blankly from the floor?
5. Who dominates the conversation during the meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
2. How does the fight actually end?
3. Describe the weather the men encounter when they go outside for the fight.
4. How does the cowboy show that he is still agitated by the fight and what is Scully's response toward him?
5. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
6. What words mark the climax of the story?
7. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
8. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
9. How does the author use foreshadowing in the behavior of Johnnie and the Swede prior to the card game?
10. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Crane choose to use these places in the drama?
Essay Topic 2
Antagonism takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
THE BLUE HOTEL is a classic story of fear and reprisal. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)