|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Swede mimic before leaving the hotel?
2. What is the Swede doing in his room?
3. What does the bartender do when the Swede becomes more demanding?
4. Scully tells the cowboy that it ________________________ to fight the Swede.
5. Scully and the cowboy describe __________________ .
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the stove and the cardboard box represent in Chapter 7?
2. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
3. Describe the weather the men encounter when they go outside for the fight.
4. How does the author show that Scully has lost all reserves and control of his behavior after the Swede leaves?
5. What words mark the climax of the story?
6. How does the cowboy antagonize the Swede when he is ready to leave the hotel?
7. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
8. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
9. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
10. How is another card game decided after supper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of alienation. Identify at least two instances about alienation in the book and then cite an examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Scully, Johnnie, the Easterner and the cowboy. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Crane choose to use these places in the drama?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)