|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men have trouble hearing each other outside?
2. What role has Scully maintained throughout the story?
3. What remains the constant source of comfort in the story?
4. What is the bartender's demeanor?
5. Who tells the Swede that the Swede has won?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the Easterner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE BLUE HOTEL? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Antagonism takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)