|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scully assure Johnnie after the fight?
2. What drink does the Swede order?
3. How does Scully begin to speak as he gets agitated?
4. What does the Swede say about the nasty weather?
5. Scully tells the cowboy that it ________________________ to fight the Swede.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the weather the men encounter when they go outside for the fight.
2. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
3. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
4. Describe the Swede's snide behavior as he leaves the hotel.
5. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
6. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
7. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
8. How does the cowboy show that he is still agitated by the fight and what is Scully's response toward him?
9. What do the stove and the cardboard box represent in Chapter 7?
10. How do the characters remain in their stereotypical roles during and after the fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the stove. What does the stove symbolize for the men? What does it mean for Scully?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of alienation. Identify at least two instances about alienation in the book and then cite an examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Antagonism takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)