|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Johnnie say he can't go on after he is injured the second time?
2. After the Swede leaves, Scully and _____________ both share that they would like to fight the Swede.
3. Who pleads for the men to stop the fight after Johnnie is injured?
4. Who yells to Johnnie to kill the Swede?
5. The Swede is convinced he will be fighting ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
2. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
3. What words mark the climax of the story?
4. Describe the Swede's snide behavior as he leaves the hotel.
5. Describe the weather the men encounter when they go outside for the fight.
6. How does Chapter 8 begin?
7. How does the fight actually end?
8. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
9. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
10. How does the cowboy antagonize the Swede when he is ready to leave the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the Swede. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Swede change over the course of the story? Why does the author make his character so volatile? Is there any significance to his ethnic and cultural background? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the stove. What does the stove symbolize for the men? What does it mean for Scully?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)