|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men have trouble hearing each other outside?
2. Who serves the meal to the guests?
3. Scully tells the cowboy that it ________________________ to fight the Swede.
4. What words does Scully hear that disrupts his evening?
5. What do all four card players do at once?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
2. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
3. How does the fight actually end?
4. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing in the behavior of Johnnie and the Swede prior to the card game?
6. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
7. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
8. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
9. How does the cowboy's anger exhibit during the fight and what does he yell?
10. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the 1800s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Crane is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Crane choose to use these places in the drama?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)