|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Swede go to escape the weather?
2. What does the bartender do when the Swede becomes more demanding?
3. What does the Swede say about the nasty weather?
4. What words does Scully hear that disrupts his evening?
5. The Swede is convinced he will be fighting ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Swede's snide behavior as he leaves the hotel.
2. How does the fight actually end?
3. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
4. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
5. How does Chapter 8 begin?
6. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
7. How does the author show that Scully has lost all reserves and control of his behavior after the Swede leaves?
8. How does the cowboy's anger exhibit during the fight and what does he yell?
9. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing in the behavior of Johnnie and the Swede prior to the card game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Crane use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE BLUE HOTEL? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
THE BLUE HOTEL is a classic story of fear and reprisal. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)