|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men have trouble hearing each other outside?
2. Where do the men decide to go to settle the argument?
3. Who does the Swede partner with in the evening card game?
4. What does the cowboy do when he realizes he can't fight the Swede?
5. What do the men decide to do after supper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
2. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
3. How does the cowboy antagonize the Swede when he is ready to leave the hotel?
4. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
5. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
6. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
7. How do the cowboy and the Easterner anticipate the fight as they stand in the cold?
8. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
9. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
10. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Johnnie and the Swede. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of alienation. Identify at least two instances about alienation in the book and then cite an examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Scully. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)