|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard to tell what is going on with the fight?
2. Where is the Swede as Chapter 8 begins?
3. There is a hint of what color over the night scene?
4. Who dominates the conversation during the meal?
5. Where does the Swede go after the fight is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
2. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
3. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
4. How does the cowboy show that he is still agitated by the fight and what is Scully's response toward him?
5. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
6. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
7. How does the author show that Scully has lost all reserves and control of his behavior after the Swede leaves?
8. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
9. How do the cowboy and the Easterner anticipate the fight as they stand in the cold?
10. How does the fight actually end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Swede change over the course of the story? Why does the author make his character so volatile? Is there any significance to his ethnic and cultural background? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Stephen Crane was an author known for naturalism in his work. Cite at least three examples of naturalism in THE BLUE HOTEL and give reasons for your answers.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)