|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do all four card players do at once?
2. What does the cowboy do when he realizes he can't fight the Swede?
3. What does Scully do during the card game?
4. Who falls to the floor and dies?
5. Who does the Swede mock as he leaves the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
2. How do the cowboy and the Easterner anticipate the fight as they stand in the cold?
3. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
4. What do the stove and the cardboard box represent in Chapter 7?
5. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
6. How does the cowboy's anger exhibit during the fight and what does he yell?
7. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
8. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
9. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
10. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the blue hotel symbolize in the story? Is there a reason Scully chose the color blue? Are there any psychological or cultural reasons for Scully's choice of color? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Scully. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Antagonism takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)