|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does the Swede order?
2. What words does the Swede mimic?
3. What does the Swede do when he is asked to remove his hand from the gambler's shoulder?
4. What is the demeanor of the Easterner and the cowboy as the men prepare to go outside?
5. What does the bartender talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the cowboy's anger exhibit during the fight and what does he yell?
2. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
3. What do the stove and the cardboard box represent in Chapter 7?
4. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
5. What words mark the climax of the story?
6. How does Chapter 8 begin?
7. Describe the weather the men encounter when they go outside for the fight.
8. How do the characters remain in their stereotypical roles during and after the fight?
9. How is another card game decided after supper?
10. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the blue hotel symbolize in the story? Is there a reason Scully chose the color blue? Are there any psychological or cultural reasons for Scully's choice of color? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Swede change over the course of the story? Why does the author make his character so volatile? Is there any significance to his ethnic and cultural background? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of men in the 1800s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not have?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)