|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Swede ask Scully?
2. What does the Swede ask the bartender?
3. Where do the men decide to hold the fight?
4. There is a hint of what color over the night scene?
5. Scully tells the cowboy that it ________________________ to fight the Swede.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
2. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
3. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
4. How does the cowboy's anger exhibit during the fight and what does he yell?
5. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
6. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
7. Describe the Swede's snide behavior as he leaves the hotel.
8. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
9. How does the author show that Scully has lost all reserves and control of his behavior after the Swede leaves?
10. What words mark the climax of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Crane choose to use these places in the drama?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of alienation. Identify at least two instances about alienation in the book and then cite an examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the cowboy. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)