|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pleads for the men to stop the fight after Johnnie is injured?
2. What words does Scully hear that disrupts his evening?
3. Who yells to Johnnie to kill the Swede?
4. There is a hint of what color over the night scene?
5. Who dominates the conversation during the meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Scully has lost all reserves and control of his behavior after the Swede leaves?
2. How does the cowboy antagonize the Swede when he is ready to leave the hotel?
3. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
4. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
5. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
6. How do the characters remain in their stereotypical roles during and after the fight?
7. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
8. How do the cowboy and the Easterner anticipate the fight as they stand in the cold?
9. How does the fight actually end?
10. What do the stove and the cardboard box represent in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the Swede. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of alienation. Identify at least two instances about alienation in the book and then cite an examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the stove. What does the stove symbolize for the men? What does it mean for Scully?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)