|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does the Swede order?
2. What words does Scully hear that disrupts his evening?
3. Where does the Swede go to escape the weather?
4. Who pleads for the men to stop the fight after Johnnie is injured?
5. Where is the Swede as Chapter 8 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
2. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
3. How is another card game decided after supper?
4. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
5. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
6. How does the author show that Scully has lost all reserves and control of his behavior after the Swede leaves?
7. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
8. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
9. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
10. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Crane use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Scully, Johnnie, the Easterner and the cowboy. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Scully. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)