|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scully try to intercept a fight between the Swede and the cowboy?
2. Who remains quiet and observing during the meal?
3. What does the Swede do when he is asked to remove his hand from the gambler's shoulder?
4. Who dominates the conversation during the meal?
5. Where is the Swede as Chapter 8 begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Crane use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE BLUE HOTEL? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)