|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the men seated as they discuss the situation with the Swede?
2. Where does the Easterner think the Swede has put himself?
3. What is the name of the hotel in THE BLUE HOTEL?
4. What does the Swede do when the farmer leaves the game?
5. What is the name of Scully's older son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the three train passengers that Scully brings to his hotel?
2. What does Scully retrieve from under the bed in his room?
3. How does the Swede behave when he rejoins the other men?
4. How does Scully try to change the subject to prevent the Swede from leaving the hotel?
5. What is the Swede's demeanor when he reenters the room with Scully?
6. How does Johnnie react to the Swede's startling statement?
7. With what gesture does Scully get the Swede to relax a little bit?
8. What role does Scully play in the conflict between the men and the Swede and how does he attempt to rectify it?
9. Why does Scully go to the Swede's room?
10. What is the mood in the hotel at the beginning of Chapter 2 and what happens to alter it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crane is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
THE BLUE HOTEL is a classic story of fear and reprisal. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Stephen Crane was an author known for naturalism in his work. Cite at least three examples of naturalism in THE BLUE HOTEL and give reasons for your answers.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)