|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could the Swede's countenance be described as he talks to Scully?
2. What is the Swede's problem?
3. What is a prominent fixture inside the hotel?
4. What does the Swede do when the farmer leaves the game?
5. How much does the Swede leave Scully for payment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Scully's response to the men who want to know why Scully tolerates the insufferable Swede?
2. How does the Swede react to the whiskey offered to him by Scully?
3. Who are the three train passengers that Scully brings to his hotel?
4. How do the cowboy, the Easterner and Johnnie react to the Swede's unusual behavior?
5. What is the mood in the hotel at the beginning of Chapter 2 and what happens to alter it?
6. What happens after the farmer leaves a card game he had been playing with Scully's son, Johnnie?
7. What is Scully's response to the Swede's intention to leave the hotel?
8. What shocking statement does the Swede make that unnerves the other men?
9. What is the premise of THE BLUE HOTEL?
10. Why do Stephen Crane's works enjoy such a wide and varied audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the 1800s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Scully, Johnnie, the Easterner and the cowboy. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the cowboy. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)