|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the men seated as they discuss the situation with the Swede?
2. How does Scully get the Swede to smile?
3. Why does the farmer leave the card game?
4. Why does the hotel owner meet the train every day?
5. How much does Scully tell the Swede he owes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could Scully be characterized?
2. What is the premise of THE BLUE HOTEL?
3. With what gesture does Scully get the Swede to relax a little bit?
4. How does the cowboy react to the Swede's unusual statement?
5. How do the cowboy, the Easterner and Johnnie react to the Swede's unusual behavior?
6. For what is Stephen Crane best known in his writing style?
7. What does Scully retrieve from under the bed in his room?
8. What is the Swede's demeanor when he reenters the room with Scully?
9. How does the Swede display unusual behavior after dinner?
10. How does the Swede behave when he rejoins the other men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
THE BLUE HOTEL is a classic story of fear and reprisal. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the stove. What does the stove symbolize for the men? What does it mean for Scully?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)