|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the men seated as they discuss the situation with the Swede?
2. What question does the Swede ask Scully?
3. Why does the Swede get up and leave the room?
4. What do the Easterner and the cowboy wonder about Scully and the Swede?
5. How does the Swede drink the whiskey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the farmer leaves a card game he had been playing with Scully's son, Johnnie?
2. For what is Stephen Crane best known in his writing style?
3. How does the Swede react to the whiskey offered to him by Scully?
4. With what gesture does Scully get the Swede to relax a little bit?
5. What is the setting for THE BLUE HOTEL?
6. How do the Easterner and the cowboy view the Swede differently?
7. What role does Scully play in the conflict between the men and the Swede and how does he attempt to rectify it?
8. How does the Swede behave when he rejoins the other men?
9. What shocking statement does the Swede make that unnerves the other men?
10. What is the premise of THE BLUE HOTEL?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antagonism takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What does the blue hotel symbolize in the story? Is there a reason Scully chose the color blue? Are there any psychological or cultural reasons for Scully's choice of color? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Johnnie and the Swede. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)