|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Swede drink the whiskey?
2. How could Scully be characterized?
3. Who becomes the mediator in the trouble involving the Swede?
4. Who eyes all the men in the room suspiciously?
5. Why does Scully yell at Johnnie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johnnie react to the Swede's startling statement?
2. Who are the two children in the portraits that Scully shows the Swede?
3. How does the Swede's behavior escalate into even more bizarre behavior after the men declare that they don't know why he made such a startling statement about men being killed in that room?
4. For what is Stephen Crane best known in his writing style?
5. Why do Stephen Crane's works enjoy such a wide and varied audience?
6. How do the cowboy, the Easterner and Johnnie react to the Swede's unusual behavior?
7. What is the premise of THE BLUE HOTEL?
8. What is ironic about Scully showing the pictures of his children to the frightened Swede?
9. What is the Swede's demeanor when he reenters the room with Scully?
10. What is Scully's response to the Swede's intention to leave the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the blue hotel symbolize in the story? Is there a reason Scully chose the color blue? Are there any psychological or cultural reasons for Scully's choice of color? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Stephen Crane was an author known for naturalism in his work. Cite at least three examples of naturalism in THE BLUE HOTEL and give reasons for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How does the Swede change over the course of the story? Why does the author make his character so volatile? Is there any significance to his ethnic and cultural background? Explain.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)