|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Swede go after the fight is over?
(a) To the saloon.
(b) Back into the hotel.
(c) To the stables.
(d) To another hotel.
2. How does Scully begin to speak as he gets agitated?
(a) In an Irish brogue.
(b) In unintelligible sounds.
(c) In Spanish.
(d) In short bursts.
3. What remains the constant source of comfort in the story?
(a) The food.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) The stove.
(d) The whiskey.
4. Who yells to Johnnie to kill the Swede?
(a) The cowboy.
(b) The farmer.
(d) The cowboy.
5. What does Scully assure Johnnie after the fight?
(a) He did indeed hurt the Swede.
(b) He is lucky the fight stopped when it did.
(c) He is proud of him.
(d) He is gaining much strength in his upper body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man who accuses someone of cheating?
2. Who is the man accused of cheating?
3. What role has Scully maintained throughout the story?
4. What is the bartender's demeanor?
5. Who remains quiet and observing during the meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how each of the characters responds in character to the accusation of cheating.
2. What words mark the climax of the story?
3. How does Chapter 8 begin?
4. How do the cowboy and the Easterner anticipate the fight as they stand in the cold?
5. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
6. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
7. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
8. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
9. Describe the Swede's snide behavior as he leaves the hotel.
10. How is another card game decided after supper?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)