|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Swede ask the bartender?
(a) To recommend a hotel.
(b) If he has any food.
(c) When the next train out will be.
(d) To join him in a drink.
2. Who dominates the conversation during the meal?
(b) The Swede.
(c) The cowboy.
3. What does Scully do during the card game?
(a) Sips brandy.
(b) Examines the guest registry.
(c) Cleans the lobby.
(d) Reads the newspaper.
4. Who remains quiet and observing during the meal?
(b) The cowboy.
(d) The Easterner.
5. Who becomes the referee for the fight?
(a) The farmer.
(b) The cowboy.
(d) A minister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bartender do when the Swede becomes more demanding?
2. What does the Swede ask Scully?
3. Who pleads for the men to stop the fight after Johnnie is injured?
4. What do the men decide to do after supper?
5. What time is the meal served at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing in the behavior of Johnnie and the Swede prior to the card game?
2. How do the cowboy and the Easterner anticipate the fight as they stand in the cold?
3. How do the characters remain in their stereotypical roles during and after the fight?
4. What is the irony of the gambler's character?
5. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
6. How is another card game decided after supper?
7. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
8. What do the stove and the cardboard box represent in Chapter 7?
9. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
10. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)