|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scully tell the Swede that he owes him?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Five dollars.
(c) Three dollars.
2. The patrons are _________________ and refuse to drink with the Swede.
3. What does the bartender pretend not to notice?
(a) The Swede's bloody face.
(b) The Swede's torn clothes.
(c) The Swede's big ears.
(d) The Swede's shabby coat.
4. Why does Johnnie say he can't go on after he is injured the second time?
(a) Fighting is no way to settle anything.
(b) His jaw is broken.
(c) He had the wind knocked out of him.
(d) The Swede was too heavy for him.
5. Why do the men have trouble hearing each other outside?
(a) The street traffic is loud.
(b) The saloon is really jumping.
(c) The wind is so strong.
(d) A band is playing in the church hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scully try to intercept a fight between the Swede and the cowboy?
2. What does the Swede stare at blankly from the floor?
3. The Swede tells Scully that maybe Scully _______________________.
4. Who jumps in the air when the fight begins?
5. Why is it hard to tell what is going on with the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
2. How does the cowboy's anger exhibit during the fight and what does he yell?
3. How do the cowboy and Scully erupt after the Swede leaves the hotel?
4. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
5. Describe the Swede's snide behavior as he leaves the hotel.
6. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
7. How do the characters remain in their stereotypical roles during and after the fight?
8. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
9. How does the author show that Scully has lost all reserves and control of his behavior after the Swede leaves?
10. How does the cowboy antagonize the Swede when he is ready to leave the hotel?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)