|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scully assure Johnnie after the fight?
(a) He did indeed hurt the Swede.
(b) He is proud of him.
(c) He is gaining much strength in his upper body.
(d) He is lucky the fight stopped when it did.
2. What time is the meal served at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) 7:00 a.m.
(b) 6:00 p.m.
(d) 4:00 p.m.
3. Where is the Swede as Chapter 8 begins?
(a) Eating dinner at a restaurant.
(b) In a snowstorm.
(c) Sleeping in bed.
(d) Having a drink at a saloon.
4. The Swede tells Scully that maybe Scully _______________________.
(a) Should teach Johnnie to fight better.
(b) Should find another line of work.
(c) Is the one who owes him.
(d) Should paint the hotel a different color.
5. Who says he would like the chance to fight the Swede?
(a) The farmer.
(c) The cowboy.
(d) The Easterner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meal is served at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. Where does the Swede go to escape the weather?
3. Who is the man who accuses someone of cheating?
4. How does Scully try to intercept a fight between the Swede and the cowboy?
5. After the Swede leaves, Scully and _____________ both share that they would like to fight the Swede.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fight actually end?
2. What is the response of the men when the Swede wants them to drink with him?
3. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
4. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
5. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
6. How does the cowboy's anger exhibit during the fight and what does he yell?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing in the behavior of Johnnie and the Swede prior to the card game?
8. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
9. How do the characters remain in their stereotypical roles during and after the fight?
10. Describe the weather the men encounter when they go outside for the fight.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)