|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man accused of cheating?
(a) The farmer.
(c) The cowboy.
(d) The Swede.
2. Where does the Swede go to escape the weather?
(a) A church.
(b) A town hall.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A saloon.
3. What does the bartender do when the Swede becomes more demanding?
(a) Tries to defuse the situation.
(b) Kicks him out of the saloon.
(c) Punches him in the face.
(d) Breaks a bottle over his head.
4. Who falls to the floor and dies?
(a) The Swede.
(b) The gambler.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The bartender.
5. On whose shoulder does the Swede place his hand?
(a) The gambler.
(b) The minister.
(c) The bartender.
(d) The sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the demeanor of the Easterner and the cowboy as the men prepare to go outside?
2. Who remains quiet and observing during the meal?
3. Which one of the men feels that he is freezing to death?
4. What does the cowboy do when he realizes he can't fight the Swede?
5. Who is the man who accuses someone of cheating?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can the supper at the hotel be described?
2. How does the Swede's obnoxious behavior result in his death?
3. How is another card game decided after supper?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing in the behavior of Johnnie and the Swede prior to the card game?
5. What ensues after the Swede accuses Johnnie of cheating?
6. How does the cowboy's anger exhibit during the fight and what does he yell?
7. What is the significance of the debt between the Swede and Scully and the cash register at the end of the story?
8. Describe the conversation between the Swede and the bartender.
9. How does the cowboy show that he is still agitated by the fight and what is Scully's response toward him?
10. What is the Swede's fear about the fight initially?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)