|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes the mediator in the trouble involving the Swede?
(a) The cowboy.
(d) The farmer.
2. What are the weather conditions at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. What is Scully's older son's profession?
4. Who is the owner of the hotel?
(a) Paul Scully.
(b) Pat Scully.
(c) Pat Sullen.
(d) Pat Sully.
5. Who eyes all the men in the room suspiciously?
(a) A Chinese man.
(c) A priest.
(d) The Swede.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not mentioned when Scully talks about the growth of the town?
2. Where does Scully go at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. What does Scully ask the Swede to do?
4. How does the Swede react at first to the bottle of whiskey?
5. What is wrapped in the old coat that Scully pulls from underneath the bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what gesture does Scully get the Swede to relax a little bit?
2. What does Scully retrieve from under the bed in his room?
3. What shocking statement does the Swede make that unnerves the other men?
4. What is the mood in the hotel at the beginning of Chapter 2 and what happens to alter it?
5. What is Scully's response to the men who want to know why Scully tolerates the insufferable Swede?
6. What is the premise of THE BLUE HOTEL?
7. How does the cowboy react to the Swede's unusual statement?
8. Why is the Swede a difficult character to grasp?
9. For what is Stephen Crane best known in his writing style?
10. How do the Easterner and the cowboy view the Swede differently?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)