|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes a concern to the cowboy?
(a) Running out of whiskey.
(b) Buying a gift for his wife.
(c) Getting his horse shoed.
(d) Getting snowed in at the hotel.
2. What does Scully show the Swede?
(a) Pictures of his children.
(b) New furniture.
(c) Fresh paint.
(d) New carpet.
3. Stephen Crane is known for stories about regular people who experience __________________________.
(a) Great wealth.
(c) Extraordinary events.
(d) Heart attacks.
4. What does the Swede do as Scully talks to him?
(a) Paces the floor.
(b) Shines his shoes.
(c) Packs his bag.
(d) Makes the bed.
5. With whom is Scully's son playing cards?
(a) An old farmer.
(b) A barmaid.
(c) A priest.
(d) A bartender.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of card players are the Swede and the Easterner?
2. Which of the following does Scully not meet at the station one winter day?
3. In what state does THE BLUE HOTEL take place?
4. How much does Scully tell the Swede he owes?
5. Which of the men says that the Swede is terribly frightened?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what gesture does Scully get the Swede to relax a little bit?
2. Why do Stephen Crane's works enjoy such a wide and varied audience?
3. What role does Scully play in the conflict between the men and the Swede and how does he attempt to rectify it?
4. What is Scully's response to the Swede's intention to leave the hotel?
5. What is the premise of THE BLUE HOTEL?
6. What does Scully retrieve from under the bed in his room?
7. How does the Swede display unusual behavior after dinner?
8. How do the Easterner and the cowboy view the Swede differently?
9. What is the mood in the hotel at the beginning of Chapter 2 and what happens to alter it?
10. What is ironic about Scully showing the pictures of his children to the frightened Swede?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)