|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scully assure Johnnie after the fight?
(a) He is lucky the fight stopped when it did.
(b) He is gaining much strength in his upper body.
(c) He is proud of him.
(d) He did indeed hurt the Swede.
2. Who jumps in the air when the fight begins?
(b) A dog.
(c) The cowboy.
(d) Some boys.
3. Scully tells the cowboy that it ________________________ to fight the Swede.
(a) Would not be right.
(b) Would not solve anything.
(c) Would solve everything.
(d) Is only natural to want.
4. What drink does the Swede order?
5. What does the bartender talk about?
(a) The weather.
(b) The Swede's job.
(c) His family.
(d) The town.
6. What does the Swede ask the bartender?
(a) To join him in a drink.
(b) If he has any food.
(c) To recommend a hotel.
(d) When the next train out will be.
7. Which one of the men feels that he is freezing to death?
(a) The Easterner.
(b) The Swede.
(c) The cowboy.
8. What words does the Swede mimic?
(a) "Kill him! Kill him! Kill him!"
(b) "Let me at him!"
(c) "I'll kill the son of a bitch!"
(d) "I can take him!"
9. What meal is served at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. What does the Swede do repeatedly at the bar?
(a) Pistol whips the patrons.
(b) Spits on the floor.
(c) Drinks more shots of whiskey.
11. How does Scully try to intercept a fight between the Swede and the cowboy?
(a) He turns off the lights.
(b) He shoots his gun.
(c) He yells at them.
(d) He puts up his hand.
12. What does Scully tell the Swede that he owes him?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(d) Three dollars.
13. What does Johnnie say to the accusations that he has cheated?
(a) Everybody cheats once in awhile.
(b) If he cheated, the Swede deserved it.
(c) No man is allowed to say he cheats.
(d) The Swede cheated first.
14. Who remains quiet and observing during the meal?
(c) The Easterner.
(d) The cowboy.
15. Which of the following does not occur after the accusation of cheating occurs?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do all four card players do at once?
2. What role has Scully maintained throughout the story?
3. What does the Swede ask Scully?
4. What does the bartender pretend not to notice?
5. The Swede tells Scully that maybe Scully _______________________.
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)