|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Swede leaves, Scully and _____________ both share that they would like to fight the Swede.
(a) The farmer.
(b) The cowboy.
(c) The Easterner.
(d) The minister.
2. What does the bartender pretend not to notice?
(a) The Swede's bloody face.
(b) The Swede's shabby coat.
(c) The Swede's big ears.
(d) The Swede's torn clothes.
3. The Swede tells Scully that maybe Scully _______________________.
(a) Should find another line of work.
(b) Is the one who owes him.
(c) Should teach Johnnie to fight better.
(d) Should paint the hotel a different color.
4. What is the Swede's demeanor when he prepares to leave the hotel?
5. What words does the Swede mimic?
(a) "Let me at him!"
(b) "I can take him!"
(c) "I'll kill the son of a bitch!"
(d) "Kill him! Kill him! Kill him!"
6. How many patrons are in the saloon?
7. Where does the Swede go to escape the weather?
(a) A church.
(b) A town hall.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A saloon.
8. Which one of the men feels that he is freezing to death?
(a) The Swede.
(b) The Easterner.
(d) The cowboy.
9. What are the men doing at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Drinking whiskey.
(b) Talking about the fight.
(c) Reading the newspaper.
10. Why is it hard to tell what is going on with the fight?
(a) The blizzard blocks the view.
(b) The men are drunk.
(c) It is too dark.
(d) The snow is too deep.
11. What does the bartender do when the Swede becomes more demanding?
(a) Tries to defuse the situation.
(b) Breaks a bottle over his head.
(c) Punches him in the face.
(d) Kicks him out of the saloon.
12. What is the Swede doing in his room?
(a) Packing his things.
(b) Taking a bath.
(c) Bandaging his wounds.
(d) Drinking whiskey.
13. What does Johnnie say to the accusations that he has cheated?
(a) If he cheated, the Swede deserved it.
(b) No man is allowed to say he cheats.
(c) Everybody cheats once in awhile.
(d) The Swede cheated first.
14. The patrons are _________________ and refuse to drink with the Swede.
15. Where do the men decide to go to settle the argument?
(a) Outside in the snow.
(b) The billiards room.
(c) The stable.
(d) The saloon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who yells to Johnnie to kill the Swede?
2. What does the Swede do repeatedly at the bar?
3. Scully tells the cowboy that it ________________________ to fight the Swede.
4. What does the bartender talk about?
5. What remains the constant source of comfort in the story?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)