|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role has Scully maintained throughout the story?
2. What does the bartender talk about?
(a) His family.
(b) The Swede's job.
(c) The town.
(d) The weather.
3. What does the bartender ultimately ask the Swede?
(a) What his line of work is.
(b) How he injured his face.
(c) If he wants to run a tab.
(d) Where he is headed.
4. What time is the meal served at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(b) 4:00 p.m.
(c) 7:00 a.m.
(d) 6:00 p.m.
5. Scully and the cowboy describe __________________ .
(a) Their first girlfriends.
(b) Their childhoods.
(c) What they would do to the Swede.
(d) Their mothers.
6. Which of the following does not describe the conditions outside?
(b) Very dark.
7. What does the Swede ask the bartender?
(a) To join him in a drink.
(b) If he has any food.
(c) When the next train out will be.
(d) To recommend a hotel.
8. What do the men do after the Swede falls to the floor?
(a) Keep drinking whiskey.
(b) Try to revive him.
(c) Throw him out in the snow.
(d) Leave the saloon.
9. After the Swede leaves, Scully and _____________ both share that they would like to fight the Swede.
(a) The farmer.
(b) The minister.
(c) The Easterner.
(d) The cowboy.
10. Who says he would like the chance to fight the Swede?
(a) The cowboy.
(b) The Easterner.
(c) The farmer.
11. What does the Swede do repeatedly at the bar?
(a) Spits on the floor.
(c) Drinks more shots of whiskey.
(d) Pistol whips the patrons.
12. Who serves the meal to the guests?
(a) The Chinese cook.
(b) The barmaid.
(d) Scully's daughters.
13. What does the Swede ask Scully?
(a) If he did any property damage.
(b) If he can get a sandwich to go.
(c) How much he owes him.
(d) If Johnnie is OK.
14. What remains the constant source of comfort in the story?
(a) The stove.
(b) The food.
(c) The whiskey.
(d) The newspaper.
15. Who remains quiet and observing during the meal?
(a) The Easterner.
(d) The cowboy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scully tell the Swede that he owes him?
2. What does the cowboy do when he realizes he can't fight the Swede?
3. Where does Scully go after supper?
4. What is the demeanor of the Easterner and the cowboy as the men prepare to go outside?
5. Why do the men have trouble hearing each other outside?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)