|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scully ask the Swede to do?
(a) Follow him.
(b) Have some supper.
(c) Go to church.
(d) Read the newspaper.
2. In what town is the hotel located?
(a) Fort Benning.
(b) Fort Laramie.
(c) Fort Apache.
(d) Fort Romper.
3. Where does Scully go at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The train depot.
(c) The bank.
(d) The Swede's room.
4. What are the weather conditions at the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. What does Johnnie call the Swede?
(a) "Not the brightest bulb in the box."
(b) The "looniest toon" he's ever come across.
(c) "Two bubbles short of level."
(d) The "doddangedst Swede" he's ever seen.
6. Why does Scully go to the Swede's room?
(a) To drop off a newspaper.
(b) To drop off clean laundry.
(c) To change the linens.
(d) To try to figure out what is going on.
7. What would getting snowed in at the hotel mean to the men?
(a) They would have to be around the Swede longer.
(b) They couldn't get water out of the well.
(c) They could not get home in time for Christmas.
(d) They might run out of whiskey.
8. What is Scully's son doing when the men enter the hotel?
(a) Reading a magazine.
(b) Carrying bags.
(c) Playing cards.
(d) Sweeping the floor.
9. To what topic does Scully change the subject?
(a) Scully's family history.
(b) Books Scully has read.
(c) The Swede's wife and kids.
(d) The growth of the town.
10. What do the other men ask Scully after the Swede leaves?
(a) Why Scully is putting up with the Swede.
(b) If he thinks they will get snowed in.
(c) What Scully has on the supper menu.
(d) If Scully wants to play cards.
11. Why does the farmer leave the card game?
(a) Return to work.
(b) Dinner time.
(c) Out of money.
(d) A quarrel.
12. Who eyes all the men in the room suspiciously?
(a) A priest.
(b) The Swede.
(d) A Chinese man.
13. What do the Easterner and the cowboy wonder about Scully and the Swede?
(a) If they want to go to dinner.
(b) Where they got the whiskey.
(c) If they want to play poker.
(d) What has caused the change in the men.
14. Who does Scully blame for the trouble with the Swede?
(a) The Easterner.
(c) The cowboy.
(d) The Chinese cook.
15. Who is most astonished by the Swede's outrageous statements?
(a) The Easterner.
(d) The cowboy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cowboy doesn't think the Swede is ______________.
2. Why does the hotel owner meet the train every day?
3. During the game, the Swede says, "I suppose there have been a good many ______________ in this room."
4. What becomes a concern to the cowboy?
5. The Swede says that he knows they _________________.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)