|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not mentioned when Scully talks about the growth of the town?
(a) A new railroad.
(b) A big factory.
(c) A new library.
(d) An electric streetcar.
2. Who is most astonished by the Swede's outrageous statements?
(c) The Easterner.
(d) The cowboy.
3. How much does Scully tell the Swede he owes?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Two dollars.
4. The Swede says that he knows what goes on ___________________ in the West.
(a) In whorehouses.
(b) In bars.
(d) In places like this.
5. The Swede becomes a partner with ________________ in a new card game.
(a) A dry goods store owner.
(b) A shoe repairman.
(c) The Easterner.
(d) A cook.
6. What question does the Swede ask Scully?
(a) Can he get a newspaper.
(b) When is the next train out.
(c) How much he owes him.
(d) When is dinner.
7. How old is Cassie?
(c) She is dead.
8. How much does the Swede leave Scully for payment?
(a) Fifty cents.
(b) Seventy-five cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) One dollar.
9. What kind of card player does the cowboy turn out to be?
10. What is the name of Scully's older son?
11. Who does the Swede think is against him?
(c) The cowboy.
12. How does the Swede drink the whiskey?
(a) In little sips.
(b) In a paper cup.
(c) With a straw.
(d) In big gulps.
13. What would getting snowed in at the hotel mean to the men?
(a) They couldn't get water out of the well.
(b) They might run out of whiskey.
(c) They would have to be around the Swede longer.
(d) They could not get home in time for Christmas.
14. How could the Swede's countenance be described as he talks to Scully?
15. What is the Swede's manner as Scully tries to change the subject?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a prominent fixture inside the hotel?
2. What does Scully try to do with the Swede?
3. Which of the following does Scully not meet at the station one winter day?
4. What does Scully ask the Swede to do?
5. What kind of card players are the Swede and the Easterner?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)