|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of plane does William go up in to get an aerial view of Moscow, Idaho?
2. For what is Spotsylvania, Virginia known?
3. Where does William travel to at the beginning of Section 8?
4. Where was William stationed during his navy years?
5. What weather does William say causes "Oregon blues"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of reception does William receive when he is looking for directions to Othello, New Jersey?
2. Describe William's visit with Scott Chisholm.
3. How does William feel about returning home?
4. Does William feel bored with the flat terrain of Montana and North Dakota?
5. Does William have second thoughts about picking up the hitchhiker Arthur O. Bakke?
6. Describe William's experience fishing on the Allison E.
7. How does Alba Bartholomew feel when he is hang gliding?
8. What memory does William have of Vern when he thinks about the lack of service at gas stations?
9. What does William discover when he travels into the Pine Barrens of New Jersey?
10. Describe what William buys at the city market in Annapolis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the physical challenges William faces during his journey. How does William survive these challenges? What does he learn because of them? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the changes William encounters in Newport and Quonset, Rhode Island. Why is he so irritated with these changes? Why does he feel like history is being replaced with things that are unimportant?
Essay Topic 3
Is William well-prepared for his journey? What items does he pack that keep him safe during bad weather conditions? What items does he include to inspire him, and why is inspiration important to him on this trip?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)