|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is William in when he wakes up with a bad cold?
2. For what did the Nez Perce Indians value Captain Clark?
3. What mountains does William hike in while in Virginia?
4. What river does William cross to get into Gallipolis, Ohio?
5. Who is Arthur O. Bakke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does William notice old tires as he drives through West Virginia?
2. Describe the day William spends with his friend, Fred Tomlins.
3. Describe William's visit with Scott Chisholm.
4. Is William impressed with Pete Marvin and his family?
5. Is William disappointed with the changes he sees in the Newport, Rhode Island, area?
6. How does William describe the town of New Harmony?
7. How does William describe the location of the bloodiest battle of the Civil War.
8. Does William feel bored with the flat terrain of Montana and North Dakota?
9. Describe what William buys at the city market in Annapolis.
10. Describe William's experience with Alice Venable Middleton on Smith Island.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two images used to describe William's journey through the Great Plains of Montana and North Dakota. How do these images convey William's feelings about driving through this landscape? Provide examples to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
What role does family history play in William's travels across America? What does he learn about his North Carolina ancestor? How does his Indian ancestry play an important role in his journey?
Essay Topic 3
How does William react to Stacie McDougald's story? What does his kindness toward her tell you about his values as a person? How does William "go the extra mile" for Stacie?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)