|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who planted a symbolic privet-hedge labyrinth in Harmonie in 1820?
2. Who takes William on a walking tour of Smith Island?
3. How does William describe his truck in the last page of the book?
4. Where does William meet Marion Horner Robie?
5. What time does William meet Tom at the dock in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is William disappointed with the changes he sees in the Newport, Rhode Island, area?
2. What memory does William have of Vern when he thinks about the lack of service at gas stations?
3. Describe how Captain Clark interacted with the Nez Perce Indians.
4. How does William feel about returning home?
5. Describe William's visit with Scott Chisholm.
6. How did Portland, Oregon, get its name?
7. How does William describe the location of the bloodiest battle of the Civil War.
8. How does Alba Bartholomew feel when he is hang gliding?
9. What does William discover about Marion Horner Robie?
10. What does Alice say changed the social pattern of Smith Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice Venable Middleton of Smith Island says that she never got her "curiosity cured." Discuss how Alice shows her interest in the world and its changes. Do you agree or disagree that she is the perfect person for William to interview? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the physical challenges William faces during his journey. How does William survive these challenges? What does he learn because of them? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role does family history play in William's travels across America? What does he learn about his North Carolina ancestor? How does his Indian ancestry play an important role in his journey?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)