|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Spotsylvania, Virginia known?
2. What does William like best about Pete and his family?
3. How does Pete make his living?
4. Where did William buy The Sacred Pipe, by Black Elk?
5. What is the nickname of the residents of Pine Barrens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of reception does William receive when he is looking for directions to Othello, New Jersey?
2. How does William describe the location of the bloodiest battle of the Civil War.
3. Does William have second thoughts about picking up the hitchhiker Arthur O. Bakke?
4. How does William help Stacie McDougald?
5. What memory does William have of Vern when he thinks about the lack of service at gas stations?
6. Where does William notice old tires as he drives through West Virginia?
7. Describe the day William spends with his friend, Fred Tomlins.
8. What does William discover about Marion Horner Robie?
9. What causes William to worry that he wants to give up on his trip and head for home when he is in Oregon?
10. Describe William's experience fishing on the Allison E.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are blue highways? Why did William choose these roads to travel across America? What does he mean when he says that the a man can lose himself on these highways in a metaphorical sense?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of food in this travel experience. What is his most memorable eating experience on this trip? Where does he like to stop to eat? What advice does he have about cafes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the changes William encounters in Newport and Quonset, Rhode Island. Why is he so irritated with these changes? Why does he feel like history is being replaced with things that are unimportant?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)