|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William name his truck for his journey across America?
2. What town is on the edge of a U.S. Navy bombing range in Section 5?
3. With whom does William eat dinner in Shreveport?
4. What state is William in when he marks one thousand miles into his journey?
5. Where does William begin his trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does William enjoy the open landscape of New Mexico?
2. When Ghost Dancing is blocked on a mountain road at 10,000 feet, how does William survive the night?
3. What happens when William sleeps in his van on the campus of East Carolina University?
4. What do Barbara Pierre and William talk about over lunch?
5. Who surprises William in Portal Paradise?
6. What history does William learn when he visits Ninety Six, South Carolina?
7. Why does William name his van "Ghost Dancing"?
8. What is William's experience when he jumps into Hat Creek to wash up?
9. What does William learn from Kendrick Fritz?
10. What kind of work does William do in Wanchese, North Carolina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William's journey through New Hampshire and Maine. Do people seem willing to talk to him in this region? How so? What does he learn about small business owners while in these states? Provide specific textual examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Is William well-prepared for his journey? What items does he pack that keep him safe during bad weather conditions? What items does he include to inspire him, and why is inspiration important to him on this trip?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the value of the work that William does with Scott Chisholm. What does William believe is important about this work? How does he feel after completing it?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)