|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "Find a way to make people bored with hating instead of helping"?
2. What does Doris tell William about Wanchese, North Carolina?
3. Where does William stop to eat lunch in Vicksburg, Mississippi?
4. What does William say about Kansas City, Kansas, in the opening pages of "South by Southwest"?
5. What does William worry about most when he is stuck on top of the mountains while trying to get to Cedar City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of work does William do in Wanchese, North Carolina?
2. What does William learn from meeting James Walker and Charles Davis?
3. Describe William's dinner at Swamp Guinea's Fish Lodge.
4. What does William tell the reader about the Natchez Trace Parkway?
5. What do Barbara Pierre and William talk about over lunch?
6. What causes William to travel across America?
7. Describe what William learns about Cajun music while in Louisiana.
8. What does William discover in Nameless, Tennessee?
9. What significance does William's trip take on when he reaches Alabama?
10. How does William feel about having dinner with his cousin in Shreveport?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice Venable Middleton of Smith Island says that she never got her "curiosity cured." Discuss how Alice shows her interest in the world and its changes. Do you agree or disagree that she is the perfect person for William to interview? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Portal Paradise a surprise for William? What does he like and dislike about his stay in this place? What unsettles the peacefulness he originally finds there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of William's van, Ghost Dancing. Why does he give this name to his van? What does it represent to him?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)