|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work does William do for pay in Wanchese, North Carolina?
2. What poet said "Memory is a kind of accomplishment" that William thinks of as he drives toward Dime Box?
3. What kind of weather does William hope to find in Cedar City, Utah?
4. Where does William stop to eat lunch in Vicksburg, Mississippi?
5. Who does William talk with in Charlie's bar in Shreveport, Louisiana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of work does William do in Wanchese, North Carolina?
2. What does William learn from Claud Tyler in Dime Box, Texas?
3. How does William feel about having dinner with his cousin in Shreveport?
4. Does William enjoy the open landscape of New Mexico?
5. What does William tell the reader about the Natchez Trace Parkway?
6. What figure in history is Dare County, North Carolina, named after?
7. Is William able to find anyone to talk with in the Hopi Indian reservation?
8. When does William begin to question his plan to travel across America?
9. What causes William to travel across America?
10. Describe William's dinner at Swamp Guinea's Fish Lodge.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Portal Paradise a surprise for William? What does he like and dislike about his stay in this place? What unsettles the peacefulness he originally finds there?
Essay Topic 2
What are blue highways? Why did William choose these roads to travel across America? What does he mean when he says that the a man can lose himself on these highways in a metaphorical sense?
Essay Topic 3
What Indian history does William learn about during his journey? Why are the Hopi Indians reluctant to talk with William when he is on the reservation? How does he learn about Hopi ways from Kendrick Fritz in a non-Indian setting?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)