|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does William travel from the Adirondacks in New York to the state of Vermont?
(a) By train.
(b) Goes into Canada and then crosses into Vermont.
(c) By ferry across Lake Champlain.
(d) Drives around Lake Champlain.
2. What country was Robert Owen from?
3. What does William dislike about driving through Montana and North Dakota?
(b) Mountainous roads.
(c) Muddy roads.
(d) Flat terrain.
4. What were the Rappites?
(a) Ohio rock formations.
(b) Religious sect of the 1800s.
(c) Artist group.
(d) Rock group.
5. What is the name of the university where William spends the night in a dorm in Michigan?
(a) Kalamazoo College.
(b) University of Michigan.
(c) Lake Superior State University.
(d) Central Michigan University.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does William meet Marion Horner Robie?
2. What is the Algonquian name for the river that means "white shining"?
3. What New England state is William in at the opening of Section 9?
4. What does William find in the forest of the Cascades in Oregon that he places in a pail to photograph later?
5. Where does William visit at the end of Section 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does William have of Vern when he thinks about the lack of service at gas stations?
2. How does Alba Bartholomew feel when he is hang gliding?
3. Describe what William buys at the city market in Annapolis.
4. Does William feel bored with the flat terrain of Montana and North Dakota?
5. What does William discover when he travels into the Pine Barrens of New Jersey?
6. What does Alice say changed the social pattern of Smith Island?
7. What importance does maple syrup have to Tom Hunter?
8. Describe William's experience sleeping in a dorm room at Central Michigan University.
9. Describe William's experience with Alice Venable Middleton on Smith Island.
10. How does William describe the town of New Harmony?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)