|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What branch of the military was William in when he hurt his leg?
(d) Air Force.
2. What name do they have for the wind around Fort Stockton, Texas?
(a) Great breathe of air.
(d) The big flow.
3. What happens to William's van on the campus of East Carolina University?
(a) Students laugh at it.
(b) It starts to get towed.
(c) Someone tries to steal it.
(d) It breaks down.
4. What is the weather when William wakes up in Morristown?
(a) Cool and clear.
5. Where does William begin his trip?
(a) Columbia, Missouri.
(b) Dearborn, Michigan.
(c) Flagstaff, Arizona.
(d) Chicago, Illinois.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William say about Kansas City, Kansas, in the opening pages of "South by Southwest"?
2. What does Doris tell William about Wanchese, North Carolina?
3. What kind of food and music does William enjoy in a bar named Eric's in Louisiana?
4. What does the barmaid in Mickey's Place nickname William?
5. Where does William look for his relative's tombstone with Noel Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes William to travel across America?
2. How does William feel about having dinner with his cousin in Shreveport?
3. Describe William's encounter with Porfirio Sanchez.
4. What happens when William sleeps in his van on the campus of East Carolina University?
5. Who surprises William in Portal Paradise?
6. What is Portal Paradise?
7. Why does William name his van "Ghost Dancing"?
8. What figure in history is Dare County, North Carolina, named after?
9. What are blue highways?
10. What does William learn from meeting James Walker and Charles Davis?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)