|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plant does William say the Indians used to wrap their food in for cooking?
(a) Skunk cabbage.
(b) Grape leaves.
(c) Corn husks.
(d) Squash leaves.
2. Whom does William call from a pay phone in western Oregon?
(a) A fellow teacher.
(b) The police.
(c) His wife.
(d) Barbara Pierre.
3. What does the man tell stories about on the ferry ride William takes from Connecticut?
(a) Unusual fish.
(b) Rock formations.
(c) Indian lore.
(d) Nuclear submarines.
4. In what town does William stop lunch in when he eats a dozen fresh clams at a city market?
5. What happened to Pete when he was a young boy?
(a) He was crippled.
(b) He moved to England.
(c) He lost his puppy.
(d) He was given a piano.
6. How does Pete make his living?
(a) Fixing automobiles.
(c) Selling hardware.
(d) Light farming.
7. What town does William look up in the library of Oregon State University?
8. For what is Spotsylvania, Virginia known?
(a) Major Civil War site.
(b) Farmer's markets.
(c) Pig farms.
(d) The production of steel.
9. How long has Tom's family been in the maple syrup business?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five generations.
(d) Three years.
10. How does William describe his truck in the last page of the book?
(a) Too tired to go on.
(b) Like a horse that knows the way.
(c) Like a clunker.
(d) A trusted friend.
11. For what did the Nez Perce Indians value Captain Clark?
(a) His boastfulness.
(b) His humor.
(c) His ability to tell a story.
(d) His ability to dress a wound.
12. What is Alba Bartholomew doing in Pitt, Washington?
(a) Hang gliding.
(b) Singing in a band.
(c) Painting landscapes.
(d) Lecturing on environmental issues.
13. What was the name of the first American ship to stop at the Northwest coast in 1788?
(b) Lady Washington.
(c) The Mount Vernon.
14. Where does William meet Marion Horner Robie?
(a) Springfield, Vermont.
(b) Providence, Rhode Island.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Melvin Village, New Hampshire.
15. What were the Rappites?
(a) Rock group.
(b) Artist group.
(c) Religious sect of the 1800s.
(d) Ohio rock formations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Arthur like to talk about to William?
2. Who planted a symbolic privet-hedge labyrinth in Harmonie in 1820?
3. What country was Robert Owen from?
4. Where does William sleep one night in Depoe Bay?
5. What does William complain about when he stops for gas in Fredericksburg, Virginia?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)