|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between William and Fred Tomlins?
2. What town in Connecticut used to make clipper ships?
3. Whom does William call from a pay phone in western Oregon?
(a) A fellow teacher.
(b) The police.
(c) His wife.
(d) Barbara Pierre.
4. What body of water is mentioned at the beginning of Section 10?
(a) Chesapeake Bay.
(b) Long Island Sound.
(c) Potomac River.
(d) Hudson Bay.
5. Where did Marion once work?
(a) Post office.
(d) Elementary school.
6. Who planted a symbolic privet-hedge labyrinth in Harmonie in 1820?
7. What kind of suitcase does Arthur carry?
8. What state is William in when he wakes up with a bad cold?
(a) North Dakota.
9. Who did McDougal marry to solidify his position in Astoria?
(a) Sister of Meriwether Lewis.
(b) Daughter of John Jacob Astor.
(c) Daughter of Chinook chief.
(d) Cousin of Captain Clark.
10. What mountains does William hike in while in Virginia?
(a) Appalachian Mountains.
(b) Green Mountains.
(c) Blue Ridge Mountains.
(d) Smokey Mountains.
11. What plant does William say the Indians used to wrap their food in for cooking?
(a) Grape leaves.
(b) Skunk cabbage.
(c) Corn husks.
(d) Squash leaves.
12. What does William envy about Arthur's way of life?
(a) Job security.
(b) Clear set of goals.
(c) Simplicity of purpose.
(d) Easy money.
13. Where does William travel to at the beginning of Section 8?
14. What country was Robert Owen from?
15. Where does William meet Marion Horner Robie?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Springfield, Vermont.
(c) Melvin Village, New Hampshire.
(d) Providence, Rhode Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does William spend the night in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho?
2. For what did the Nez Perce Indians value Captain Clark?
3. What is the last sentence of the book?
4. What is the name of the university where William spends the night in a dorm in Michigan?
5. What style house does Scott live in?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)