|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What slogan does the bank's advertising billboard have on it in Jonesboro, Tennessee?
(a) We have loans for you.
(b) Open an account and receive a free gift.
(c) When you're better, you get bigger.
(d) Think big, get rich.
2. What does "day down" mean?
(a) The day after.
(b) Carolinian for sun down.
(c) The day before.
(d) Late at night.
3. What does William say about Kansas City, Kansas, in the opening pages of "South by Southwest"?
(a) He lived there as a child.
(b) His favorite city.
(c) He grew up twenty miles from there.
(d) First Western town.
4. What story does Noel tell William when they are standing by the location of an old spring?
(a) Runaway train.
(b) Civil War battle.
(c) Town lore about a bear attack.
(d) A woman who mistakenly beat a rug with her child rolled up in it.
5. How does William describe the generations who have lived on the Hopi Indian reservation?
(c) Resourceful and patient.
6. Who is Porfirio Sanchez?
(a) Town merchant.
(b) Radio disc jockey.
(d) Business owner.
7. What state is William in when he marks one thousand miles into his journey?
(c) South Dakota.
(d) North Carolina.
8. What meal does William eat at the Retreat House with the monks at the end of "Eastward"?
9. What are Bob, Tony, and Kirk rebuilding?
(a) A historic building.
(b) A school.
(c) A cabin.
(d) A boat.
10. What water does William cross as he travels on Georgia 155 after leaving the monastery?
(a) Little Creek.
(b) Troublesome Creek.
(c) Shady Creek.
(d) Quiet Creek.
11. Who is Porfirio going to visit in Big Spring, Texas?
(c) Sick brother.
12. What kind of weather does William hope to find in Cedar City, Utah?
(d) Breezy and warm.
13. Who says "To me, being Indian means being responsible to my people. Helping with the best tools. Who invented penicillin doesn't matter"?
(a) Author of "Zoom!"
(c) Kendrick Fritz.
(d) Gas station attendant.
14. What is William impressed by in Fredericksburg, Texas?
(a) Size of the buildings.
(b) Great food.
(d) Its authenticity.
15. What does Doris tell William about Wanchese, North Carolina?
(a) He'll have no trouble finding a sleeping spot.
(b) It's a good place to find a restaurant.
(c) It's a lively town.
(d) It hasn't seen neon light yet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does William begin his trip?
2. What does Doris Walker own in Manteo, North Carolina?
3. What town is on the edge of a U.S. Navy bombing range in Section 5?
4. Who led marches from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama?
5. What is the name of the bar where William sees rattlesnake skins nailed to the wall?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)