|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William worry about most when he is stuck on top of the mountains while trying to get to Cedar City?
(a) Hot temperatures.
(b) Too much traffic.
(c) Bear attack.
(d) Flat tire.
2. What state is William in when he marks one thousand miles into his journey?
(a) North Carolina.
(d) South Dakota.
3. What does William think of Dime Box, Texas?
(a) Very unsettling.
(b) It's a fun town.
(c) Too glitzy for him.
(d) Perfect setting for a Western movie.
4. Who says "To me, being Indian means being responsible to my people. Helping with the best tools. Who invented penicillin doesn't matter"?
(a) Kendrick Fritz.
(c) Author of "Zoom!"
(d) Gas station attendant.
5. What is a saguaro?
(a) Name of river.
(b) Desert snake.
6. Who is Porfirio Sanchez?
(a) Business owner.
(b) Radio disc jockey.
(c) Town merchant.
7. What poet said "Memory is a kind of accomplishment" that William thinks of as he drives toward Dime Box?
(c) William Carlos Williams.
8. What do Barbara and William talk about over lunch?
(a) Race relations.
9. What is Swamp Guinea's Fish Lodge?
(a) Theme park.
(c) Camp site.
(d) Hotel for fishermen.
10. What does Virginia Been own in Hachita, New Mexico?
(a) Grocery store.
(b) Farm supply store.
11. What does William say about Kansas City, Kansas, in the opening pages of "South by Southwest"?
(a) First Western town.
(b) His favorite city.
(c) He grew up twenty miles from there.
(d) He lived there as a child.
12. Where does William stop to eat lunch in Vicksburg, Mississippi?
(a) Run-down diner.
(b) Italian eatery.
(c) Civil War earthworks.
13. What kind of bird made a hole in the statue of Sir Walter Raleigh in Manteo, North Carolina?
(d) Blue jay.
14. What is the weather when William wakes up in Morristown?
(c) Cool and clear.
15. What kind of work does William do for pay in Wanchese, North Carolina?
(a) Scrubs boat deck.
(b) Loads crates of hard-shell crabs.
(c) Goes crabbing.
(d) Prepares crab sandwiches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does William hit in the forest as he is trying to find Viola, California?
2. What reason for wearing suspenders does William tell an older man in Wanchese?
3. How long does William drive without seeing a single town west of Eldorado, Texas?
4. Who gave the "Path of Peace" its name?
5. Who does William meet in Portal Paradise in Arizona?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)