|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Porfirio?
2. What highway does William travel on when he begins his trip on March 20th?
(a) Interstate 70.
(b) Interstate 68.
(c) Interstate 22.
(d) Interstate 55.
3. When William leaves Fort Stockton, what are the weather conditions?
(b) Thunder and lightning.
(d) Dust storm.
4. Why does William Least Heat-Moon decide to go on a driving trip across America?
(a) He has to get to New England in six months.
(b) He has always wanted to travel and now has money to do it.
(c) He is bored.
(d) He loses his teaching job.
5. What are the roads like in the Appalachian mountains that test William's driving skills?
(a) Too many stop signs.
(b) Wet and bumpy.
(d) Filled with roadkill.
6. What is the "Path of Peace"?
(a) Nature trail in the city.
(b) Five-hundred-mile trail.
(c) Trail through the town of Selma.
(d) Path on a reservation.
7. Where does William sleep for the night after he comes down an Appalachian mountain into Morristown, Tennessee?
(a) City shelter.
(b) Bank parking lot.
(d) Camp site.
8. What is advertised on the business card that Mr. Watkins gives to William?
(a) Cafe in Merced.
(b) Plumbing company.
(c) Cell phone service.
(d) Construction company.
9. What holiday is it when William wakes up in Cookeville, Tennessee?
(b) Fourth of July.
10. What animal does William hit in the forest as he is trying to find Viola, California?
11. What state is William in when he marks one thousand miles into his journey?
(a) North Carolina.
(b) South Dakota.
12. What does "day down" mean?
(a) Carolinian for sun down.
(b) The day after.
(c) The day before.
(d) Late at night.
13. What story does Noel tell William when they are standing by the location of an old spring?
(a) A woman who mistakenly beat a rug with her child rolled up in it.
(b) Runaway train.
(c) Civil War battle.
(d) Town lore about a bear attack.
14. As William crosses into Texas, what emotion is he feeling?
(b) Deep satisfaction.
15. What poet does William quote in his description of being stuck on top of the mountain pass road when he his headed to Cedar City?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William worry about most when he is stuck on top of the mountains while trying to get to Cedar City?
2. What poet said "Memory is a kind of accomplishment" that William thinks of as he drives toward Dime Box?
3. How much money did an seventy-three-year-old Canadian woman win at the casino in Reno, Nevada?
4. What do the Thurmonds in Tennessee feed to William before sending him on his way?
5. Who says "Find a way to make people bored with hating instead of helping"?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)