Section 1, Eastward, Chapters 1-19
• In February of 1978, William Least Heat Moon learns that he has lost his college teaching job and that his estranged wife is dating another man.
• William decides to take a road trip in his van to discover fresh vistas.
• His Native American heritage urges him to get closer to the earth and he names his truck Ghost Dancing after ancient resurrection rituals of the Plains Indians.
• William leaves Columbia, Missouri, on March 20 and heads east on Interstate 70 toward Kentucky where he stops in towns in the bluegrass area.
• In Shelbyville, William meets three men who are rebuilding an historic building.
• William heads to Tennessee where he encounters one of his favorite-named places on his trip, Nameless.
• He shares his guide for selecting a good place to eat: the more calendars hanging on a café wall, the better the food.
• In Nameless, Tennessee, a town...
This section contains 3,238 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)