|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the competitor to whom Stile loses the Tourney?
2. Who is Clef?
3. How does Stile feel about Lady Blue's attempt to seduce him in Chapter 8?
4. Whom does Stile defeat in the tenth round of the Tourney?
5. Who knocks on Stile's door in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stile start to wonder, at the end of Chapter 9?
2. Who is Stile's opponent in Round Seven of the Tourney?
3. How does Stile feel about Neysa, at the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. What are the results of Stile's performance in Round Seven of the Tourney?
5. How does Stile demonstrate how much he cares for Sheen in Chapter 11?
6. What does the trap that Hulk and Bluette are caught in tell Stile about his adversary?
7. What happens between Stile and the Brown Adept in Chapter 8?
8. What are the potential outcomes of Stile's contest with the Red Adept in the Tourney?
9. Why does Stile have to fight the Red Adept in the Proton fashion?
10. What deal does Stile make with the androids at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hulk is so loyal to Stile that he makes many sacrifices, including the ultimate sacrifice of dying in a trap set for Stile. What role does Hulk play as a character in the novel? Why is he so fiercely loyal to Stile? How does Stile feel about Hulk? Do his feelings change after Hulk's death? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Lady Blue is reluctant to admit that she is in love with Stile because she is faithful to her deceased husband. Why does she feel such a strong sense of loyalty, when she readily admits that she did not love the Blue Adept when they were married? How is her situation with Stile changed because he is the Blue Adept's alternate self? How does she finally overcome this sense of loyalty? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Fate plays a major role in this novel. What are some of the instances in which fate is involved? When does Stile finally become aware of the role fate plays in his activities? How does he feel about it? Are the other characters aware of the role fate plays in their lives? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)