|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what round does Stile lose the Tourney?
2. What mode of transportation are Stile and Sheen using when they are chasing the Red Adept in Chapter 11?
3. What explanation does Stile give to Lady Blue for why they cannot have children yet at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What is the Red Adept's reason for attacking Stile and the Blue Adept?
5. Who is Clef?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the White Demesnes?
2. What happens when Stile is shot at the end of Chapter 11?
3. How does Stile's contest with the Red Adept end?
4. What deal does Stile make with the Red Adept before their battle starts, and why?
5. What happens when Sheen and Lady Blue meet in Chapter 11?
6. What does Stile realize, about the Oracle's prophecy, during Round Twelve of the Tourney?
7. What deal does Stile make with the androids at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. Why does Stile give Clef the Platinum Flute?
9. How does Stile feel about Neysa, at the beginning of Chapter 8?
10. What confession does Lady Blue make at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Neysa and Sheen are not human, yet both fall in love with Stile. What are the major differences between the two characters? How does the fact that they are not human affect their relationships with Stile? What else do they have in common? How does Stile treat them, as opposed to women of his own kind, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the role magic plays in this novel. Which characters use magic, and for what purposes? What takes the place of magic in Proton? How does Stile use his magic, and why? What is each character's unique specialty, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
As a whole, the Adepts are a very secretive group. Why are some so reluctant to share their identities? Why are others so open? What would happen if the Adepts all chose to reveal their identities, and why? What are the results, both positive and negative, of their secrecy, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)