|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the competitor to whom Stile loses the Tourney?
2. What is the result of the solo performances in Round Seven?
3. What does Clef decide to do at the end of Chapter 9?
4. What will happen if the Red Adept defeats Stile in the Tourney?
5. Why is Sheen worried about Stile in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stile feel about Neysa, at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. What does Sheen do when she finds out that Stile married Lady Blue, and why?
3. What happens when Sheen and Lady Blue meet in Chapter 11?
4. What is shown on the holo-tape provided to Stile by the Rifleman, in Chapter 7?
5. What does Stile realize, about the Oracle's prophecy, during Round Twelve of the Tourney?
6. What does the trap that Hulk and Bluette are caught in tell Stile about his adversary?
7. Why does Stile begin to worry about his performance during Round Twelve of the Tourney?
8. How does Stile demonstrate how much he cares for Sheen in Chapter 11?
9. What happens to Hulk at the end of Chapter 7?
10. Why is Lady Blue upset and angry with Stile at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses a lot of foreshadowing in the novel, in the forms of the Oracle's prophecies. How are these instances of foreshadowing incorporated into the novel as a whole? Is this an effective method for the author to use? Why? In what way do these instances of foreshadowing help to strengthen the plot, and give it structure? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Stile's alternate self is the Blue Adept. What characteristics does he share with the Blue Adept? What are their differences? How do they each fulfill different roles in the novel? Should they be exactly alike, since they are alternates of the same person? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
There are many instances in which the characters use the Oracle's prophecies to guide their actions. What happens when they make conscious decisions based on what the Oracle said would happen? What happens when they try to go against what the Oracle prophesies, as in the case of the Red Adept? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)