|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stile bothered by, at the end of Chapter 5?
2. Where does Stile go at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What changes occur in Stile's relationship with Neysa, at the end of Chapter 1?
4. What happens when Stile tries to mount the Herd Stallion during their duel?
5. What type of mythological creature is Clip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vodlevile approach Stile during the Unolympics?
2. What news does Vodlevile give to Hulk as he returns from his trip to the Oracle?
3. How does Stile use his magic during his contest with the Herd Stallion?
4. Why does Stile go to see the Herd Stallion, in Chapter 1?
5. Who is Sheen, and what is her relationship to Stile?
6. What deal does the Rifleman make with Stile before their match?
7. What favor does the Herd Stallion do for Stile, during their contest at the Unolympics?
8. What challenge is issued to Stile by the Herd Stallion, in Chapter 1, and why?
9. Who is the Rifleman, and why is Stile unhappy about being pitted against him in the Tourney?
10. What is Stile's relationship to Lady Blue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the role magic plays in this novel. Which characters use magic, and for what purposes? What takes the place of magic in Proton? How does Stile use his magic, and why? What is each character's unique specialty, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Stile is willing simply to defeat the Red Adept and send her into exile, whereas he knows that if the Red Adept wins, she will kill him. Why is Stile willing to stop at defeating her? What does he believe will happen after she is defeated? Why does she feel the need to kill Stile, instead of taking the same approach he does? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Fate plays a major role in this novel. What are some of the instances in which fate is involved? When does Stile finally become aware of the role fate plays in his activities? How does he feel about it? Are the other characters aware of the role fate plays in their lives? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)