|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other name for the metallurgists mentioned in Chapter 4?
2. What power did Lady Blue's father have?
3. What happens to Hinny when Lady Blue is young?
4. Whom does Stile face in the third round of the Tourney?
5. What happens to Lady Blue when she goes searching for her foal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stile's relationship to Lady Blue?
2. Why does Hulk leave for Proton in Chapter 4?
3. What deal does the Rifleman make with Stile before their match?
4. What does Stile theorize about his pursuer, at the end of Chapter 5?
5. What does Hulk insist on doing to help Stile, at the beginning of Chapter 2?
6. Why is Stile's mission to get the Platinum Flute such a dangerous one?
7. What challenge is issued to Stile by the Herd Stallion, in Chapter 1, and why?
8. Who is Sheen, and what is her relationship to Stile?
9. Stile realizes that negotiations between himself and the Herd Stallion will be difficult. Why?
10. Why does Lady Blue's father stop objecting to the Blue Adept's solicitation of his daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sheen and Stile end up in Heaven and Hell in Chapter 5. How do they get there? Why are they not allowed to stay? What is unique about the way the author describes these places, as opposed to the way they are typically described? What message is the author trying to convey? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Stile's alternate self is the Blue Adept. What characteristics does he share with the Blue Adept? What are their differences? How do they each fulfill different roles in the novel? Should they be exactly alike, since they are alternates of the same person? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Stile has relationships with many different women in the novel, all of whom help him in some way. What are the major differences in these relationships? What do they all have in common? What conflicts arise due to his many relationships, and why? How are these conflicts overcome? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)