|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are there some unknown Adepts?
2. Why does Vodlevile approach Stile at the Unolympics?
3. Why did Lady Blue's companion, in Chapter 2, become an enchanter?
4. How does Lady Blue feel about the Herd Stallion's challenge to Stile?
5. What happened to Lady Blue's foal, according to the Snow Horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Proton?
2. What is suspicious about the summons received by Stile, in Chapter 5?
3. Where do Sheen and Stile go while fleeing, in Chapter 5?
4. What challenge is issued to Stile by the Herd Stallion, in Chapter 1, and why?
5. Why does Stile go to see the Herd Stallion, in Chapter 1?
6. What favor does Sheen ask of Stile, at the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. What is Stile's relationship to Lady Blue?
8. What does Stile theorize about his pursuer, at the end of Chapter 5?
9. Who is the Rifleman, and why is Stile unhappy about being pitted against him in the Tourney?
10. What are the results of the contest between Stile and the Herd Stallion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Female characters play a predominant role in this novel. Why are so many of the characters, including the antagonist, female? What message is the author trying to send? How might this novel change someone's perception of female characters, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Hulk is so loyal to Stile that he makes many sacrifices, including the ultimate sacrifice of dying in a trap set for Stile. What role does Hulk play as a character in the novel? Why is he so fiercely loyal to Stile? How does Stile feel about Hulk? Do his feelings change after Hulk's death? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Stile's alternate self is the Blue Adept. What characteristics does he share with the Blue Adept? What are their differences? How do they each fulfill different roles in the novel? Should they be exactly alike, since they are alternates of the same person? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)