|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lady Blue's companion, in Chapter 2, become an enchanter?
2. Where does Stile go, at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. What does the Yellow Adept ask of Stile, at the Unolympics?
4. For what purpose does Stile use his magic during the contest with the Herd Stallion?
5. What does Sheen lament at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sheen, and what is her relationship to Stile?
2. Where do Sheen and Stile go while fleeing, in Chapter 5?
3. What summons is received by Stile, at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What happens to Lady Blue when she first goes to search for her lost foal as a young girl, and how is she rescued?
5. How does Stile use his magic during his contest with the Herd Stallion?
6. What does the Blue Adept ask Lady Blue's father, and what is his response?
7. What deal does the Rifleman make with Stile before their match?
8. How does Neysa feel about the news brought to her by Clip, and why?
9. What does Stile theorize about his pursuer, at the end of Chapter 5?
10. How does Stile demonstrate the extent of his magical power at the beginning of his contest with the Herd Stallion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances, Sheen attempts to save Stile in ways that put her in great personal danger. Why is she willing to do this? Why does she care so deeply for Stile? How does Stile feel about her fierce loyalty and love for him, and why? What is her role in the novel? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sheen and Stile end up in Heaven and Hell in Chapter 5. How do they get there? Why are they not allowed to stay? What is unique about the way the author describes these places, as opposed to the way they are typically described? What message is the author trying to convey? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Almost everyone with whom Stile has contact, aside from the antagonist, wants to help him in some way. Why is Stile so well liked? What qualities does he possess which make people eager to help him, and why? What would have happened to him without the aid of his friends, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)