|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brand of cigar does her husband light while watching her?
2. What does the young wife remember as she lies in her new bedroom?
3. Who does the young wife say lies naked upon a bed?
4. What does the husband say when his wife complains that it is broad daylight?
5. What does the young wife do after breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what a catafalque is.
2. What is the significance of the key leaving a bloody heart on the young wife's forehead?
3. What do you think is the significance of the red ribbon?
4. What is the mother's role in the story?
5. Why does the young wife show little surprise that her mother is riding across the beach to save her?
6. How can this novella be classed as a work of magic realism?
7. In what way is Bloody Chamber a feminist story?
8. How does Carter use color in the novella?
9. What do you think is the significance of the opal?
10. In what ways has the young wife grown up in a short space of time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is called the Bloody Chamber, a title that speaks for it self. Why do you think Carter has chosen such a straightforward title? What kind of expectations does it give the reader? How important do you think titles are?
Essay Topic 2
The young wife often claims she is falling in love with the Marquis. Do you think people can fall in love that easily? What do you think is the meaning of true love? Why do you think the young wife is so prepared to fall in love?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the castle setting brings to the story? Take another setting and discuss what difference it would bring to the same story?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)