|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the maid bring the young wife for breakfast?
2. Where does the young wife find a photograph of her husband's last wife?
3. Why does the young wife think no one will believe her?
4. what does the young woman want to eat?
5. How long does the young wife practice for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the castle setting.
2. Why do you think the husband tries to tempt his young wife with the small key?
3. How is it significant that the piano tuner is blind?
4. Why do you think the Marquis stops what he is doing when the door is locked?
5. What reason do you think the young wife cries to her mother?
6. What is a Marquis?
7. Why do you think the Marquis takes the young girl to see Tristan?
8. What Fairy Tale conventions does Carter use?
9. Why does the husband looking at his wife 'like horse flesh' take her breath away?
10. Why do you think the young wife would want to marry the Marquis if she does not love him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of a Marquis has a history in fiction and popular culture. What meaning does the Marquis bring to the story? What other Marquis's are there from popular culture that shares similar characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Angela Carter is famous for writing in a magic realist style.
1) What is magic realism?
2) How does Carter use magic realism in the Bloody Chamber?
3) Take an example of magic realism from the book and discuss how it contributes to the story's meaning.
Essay Topic 3
The Bloody Chamber is based on a fairy tale called Blue Beard. What are the mechanics of a fairy tale in terms of:
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)