|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the keys laying?
2. What does the young wife remember as she lies in her new bedroom?
3. Where does the husband say there is a queen's ransom?
4. What does the young woman say she is surrounded by when she opens the safe?
5. What does the young lady want the servants to leave her in her music room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Marquis seduce the young wife?
2. In what way does the Marquis show shame at what he has done?
3. How is it significant that the piano tuner is blind?
4. Do you think Carter represents the Marquis as unstable and crazy or just plain evil?
5. Describe what a catafalque is.
6. What do you think is the significance of the sea?
7. Carter references a lot of artists and books in the novella. What meaning do they bring to the story?
8. Describe the young girl.
9. Does Carter subvert the conventions of a fairy tale?
10. How can this novella be classed as a work of magic realism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carter seems to give everything in the book color. What colors does she use? What tone does this give the novella? Choose two examples of Carter's use of color and discuss what meaning that color gives both the object and the story.
Essay Topic 2
The book is called the Bloody Chamber, a title that speaks for it self. Why do you think Carter has chosen such a straightforward title? What kind of expectations does it give the reader? How important do you think titles are?
Essay Topic 3
The Bloody Chamber is a novella. What do you think are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of:
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)