|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing the young wife says she can hear?
(a) The murmuring of waves
(b) The whistle of a breeze
(c) The flap of bat wings
(d) The burning of the candles
2. Why does the young wife think the maid is discourteous?
(a) She enters sucking a lolly
(b) She enters without knocking
(c) She enters before she spoke
(d) She enters with spinach between her teeth
3. What does the young wife say her husband smells of?
(a) Russian leather
(b) Old spices
4. What does the young wife remember as she lies in her new bedroom?
(a) Her brother
(b) Her mother
(c) Her father
(d) Her lover
5. What does the husband say when his wife complains that it is broad daylight?
(a) I want every one to hear
(b) Chill out
(c) All the better to see you
(d) Time does not matter
Short Answer Questions
1. What brand of cigar does her husband light while watching her?
2. What does the young wife call the piano tuner?
3. What type of desk does the husband have in his study?
4. What does the young wife compare the box her wedding dress came to?
5. Where did the mother spend her childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think the Marquis has gotten away for so long with the murders?
2. Describe the castle setting.
3. Why do you think the piano is the only character Carter gives a name to?
4. What is the girl's reaction to seeing her husband's pornography?
5. Why do you think the story constantly harks back to past times?
6. Do you think the Marquis's servant play a role in the Marquis' crimes?
7. Do you think the Marquis is a conventional murderer in term of literature?
8. Why do you think Carter focuses so much on the young girl's body?
9. What is a libertine?
10. What do you think is the significance of the red ribbon?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)