|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young wife say when the mother ask if she is sure she loves him?
(a) As much as the next man and the ones before
(b) I don't know
(c) I'm sure I want to marry him.
(d) Love is for idiots
2. What does the young wife think will happen if she continues playing the piano?
(a) She will become a virgin again
(b) She will fall out of love
(c) She will attract the police
(d) She will hynoptize her husband
3. What kind of novel does the young wife say she wants to read?
(a) A funny novel
(b) A romantic novel
(c) A yellow paper novel
(d) A victorian novel
4. What does the husband say the young wife must not play with?
(b) Grown up toys
(c) The staff
5. Where does the husband say there is a queen's ransom?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many spikes does the young wife say the countess is spiked by?
2. What type of desk does the husband have in his study?
3. What does the young girl imagine the castle walls are made from?
4. Who does the young wife say she will fling herself on the mercy of?
5. What does the husband say while lighting his cigar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the significance of the opal?
2. What do you think the differences are between a novella and a novel?
3. How is it significant that the piano tuner is blind?
4. Do you think Carter represents the Marquis as unstable and crazy or just plain evil?
5. Why do you think the husband tries to tempt his young wife with the small key?
6. In what way does the marquis lie about the appearance of the corridor that leads to his secret room?
7. Why do you think Carter focuses so much on the young girl's body?
8. Why do you think the young wife does not tell anyone what happened, but instead accepts the gossip?
9. Do you think the Marquis is a conventional murderer in term of literature?
10. What is a libertine?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)