|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the young wife see galloping towards the castle?
(b) Her husband
(c) Her mother
(d) Her brother
2. What does the young wife blame for the piano being out of tune?
(a) The sea breeze
(b) Careless fingers
(c) The house keeper
(d) People stamping their feet
3. How does the young wife know it is nearly time for her husband to leave?
(a) She can hear the driver start the car
(b) She can feel his impatience
(c) She can see he will be late for his plane
(d) She can hear the tide drawing back
4. Where does the husband say there is a queen's ransom?
5. What does the husband call his wife when he sees her looking at his books?
(b) Blue nun
(c) Little nun
(d) Luckiest girl alive
Short Answer Questions
1. What spatters through the drawn blinds of the railway compartment?
2. What does the young woman say she is surrounded by when she opens the safe?
3. What room does the young wife decide to explore?
4. Where are the keys laying?
5. How does the young wife say the crowd in the foyer parted?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the marquis lie about the appearance of the corridor that leads to his secret room?
2. Why does the mother allow her young daughter to marry the Marquis when she has reservations about him?
3. How can this novella be classed as a work of magic realism?
4. Does Carter subvert the conventions of a fairy tale?
5. Why do you think Carter is so descriptive about the dead bodies?
6. Why do you think the young wife is so quick to call the piano tuner her young lover?
7. What do you think is the significance of the sea?
8. Why do you think the Marquis takes the young girl to see Tristan?
9. Describe what a catafalque is.
10. Why do you think the Marquis stops what he is doing when the door is locked?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)