|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has her husband's forefather's ruled the coast?
(a) Ten years
(b) Ten centuries
(c) Three centuries
(d) Eight centuries
2. Who does the husband say his house keeper used to be?
(a) A princess
(b) His foster mother
(c) His nanny
(d) A countess
3. Who is on the telephone?
(a) The husband's agent from New York
(b) A prank caller
(c) The wife's mother
(d) Her husband's mistress
4. What does the husband hesitate over?
(a) Leaving his wife
(b) A key
(c) Answering the phone
(d) A joke
5. Where does the husband keep his jewels?
(a) In his study
(b) In his safe
(c) Under the floorboards
(d) In his shirt pocket
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the young wife's mother disposed of on her eighteenth birthday?
2. What does the husband say is the greatest part of pleasure?
3. What does the young wife say she needs to continue her music studies?
4. What does the young wife say her husband's chuckle sounds like?
5. Who does the young wife telephone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason do you think the young wife cries to her mother?
2. Why do you think Carter does not use names for the main characters?
3. Carter references a lot of artists and books in the novella. What meaning do they bring to the story?
4. Why do you think the young wife would want to marry the Marquis if she does not love him?
5. Describe the piano tuners background.
6. What is the mother's role in the story?
7. Describe the marquis.
8. Does Carter subvert the conventions of a fairy tale?
9. What do you think is the significance of the opal?
10. In what ways does the young wife romanticize her marriage to the Marquis?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)