|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Romanian wife work as in Montmartre?
(a) An actress
(b) A hotel manager
(c) A model
(d) A barmaid
2. What opera had the young wife heard her husband's first wife sing?
(b) Magic Flute
(d) Phantom of the Opera
3. What is the piano tuners real name?
(d) Jean Claude
4. What year was Eulalie at the Harem of the Grand Turk published?
5. Who does the wife say her husband is as rich as?
(c) The King of England
(d) John Ford
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing the young wife says she can manage on the piano?
2. Where are the keys laying?
3. What name does the young wife say means nothing to her?
4. How many husbands does the young wife say she sees?
5. What type of desk does the husband have in his study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Marquis?
2. What is the significance of the key leaving a bloody heart on the young wife's forehead?
3. What do you think the girl means to the Marquis?
4. What is the girl's reaction to seeing her husband's pornography?
5. Why do you think the young wife does not tell anyone what happened, but instead accepts the gossip?
6. In what way does the marquis lie about the appearance of the corridor that leads to his secret room?
7. How does Carter use color in the novella?
8. What is the mother's role in the story?
9. Carter references a lot of artists and books in the novella. What meaning do they bring to the story?
10. The Marquis drives to the house in a black car. How do such obvious metaphors work in the story?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)