|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the young see in the iron maiden?
(a) Her husband
(b) Her mother
(c) The Romanian Countess
(d) The house keeper
2. What color does the wife's opal go in the flames?
3. What room does the young wife decide to explore?
(a) The room her husband has forbidden her from opening
(b) The library
(c) The kitchen
(d) The games room
4. Who does the young wife say she will fling herself on the mercy of?
(a) The gendarmerie
(b) The police
(c) Her husband
(d) The local fishermen
5. What can the young wife see the outline of?
(a) A skeleton
(b) A torture rack
(c) A swinging carcass
(d) A human head
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the maid bring the young wife for breakfast?
2. How does the young wife describe her husband's flesh?
3. What was the name of the Romanian countess?
4. Where does the husband lay his wife's head?
5. What does the young wife say is reflected in the mirrors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Carter subvert the conventions of a fairy tale?
2. The Marquis drives to the house in a black car. How do such obvious metaphors work in the story?
3. In what way is Bloody Chamber a feminist story?
4. Why do you think the young wife is so quick to call the piano tuner her young lover?
5. Describe the castle setting.
6. Why is it significant that the Marquis smells of Russian leather?
7. Describe the piano tuners background.
8. Why do you think the Marquis takes the young girl to see Tristan?
9. Why does the mother allow her young daughter to marry the Marquis when she has reservations about him?
10. What do you know about Marquis's from other popular fiction?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)