|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the young wife telephone?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her best friend
(c) Her husband
(d) Her lover
2. Why does the young wife think the husband has left her for a mistress?
(a) She is ugly
(b) She didn't compliment his beard
(c) She knows how to please him
(d) She is boring
3. What does the young wife say flashes in the light?
(a) A severed hand
(b) Her husbands face
(c) The fire opal
(d) The iron maiden
4. What does the husband hesitate over?
(a) A joke
(b) Answering the phone
(c) A key
(d) Leaving his wife
5. Where does the husband say there is a queen's ransom?
6. What does the husband say when his wife complains that it is broad daylight?
(a) Chill out
(b) All the better to see you
(c) Time does not matter
(d) I want every one to hear
7. What kind of box does her engagement ring come in?
(a) A wooden box with a silver lining
(b) A leather box lined with crimson velvet
(c) A plastic box lined with foam
(d) A silver box
8. How does the young wife describe the keys her husband gives her?
(a) Tiny, newly cut things of steel
(b) Like the keys to the dampest, dirtiest rooms in France
(c) Huge, ancient things of black iron
(d) Like a jailers death warrant
9. What does the young wife call her bed?
(a) A prison
(b) An autumn lake
(c) The midday bed of the rich
10. What flower does the young wife compare her husband to?
(a) A daffodil
(b) A fox glove
(c) A rose
(d) A lily
11. What type of piano has the husband left his young wife?
(a) A Bechstein
(b) A baby piano
(c) A grand piano
(d) A ballroom piano
12. Who asks the young wife if she loves her husband?
(a) Her brother
(b) Her mother
(c) Her lover
(d) Her father
13. How did her husband's last wife die?
(a) A boating accident
(b) Died giving birth
(c) Committed suicide
14. What had the young wife's mother disposed of on her eighteenth birthday?
(a) A man-eating lion
(b) A herd of charging elephants
(c) Her husband
(d) A man-eating tiger
15. What opera had the young wife heard her husband's first wife sing?
(b) Magic Flute
(d) Phantom of the Opera
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of novel does the young wife say she wants to read?
2. What does the young wife say when the mother ask if she is sure she loves him?
3. What does the young wife blame for the piano being out of tune?
4. What word does the young wife use to describe her husband's head?
5. What does the husband call his wife when he sees her looking at his books?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)