|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Leonardo tell his wife he has been replacing his horse's shoes?
2. Who is described as "a very nice young woman"?
3. Where does Leonardo tell his wife he has been going on his horse in Scene 2?
4. What flower does the lullaby use that is directed at the child?
5. Finish the line from the lullaby: "With a branch of dreams, and a dream of ____".
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the bride tell the groom when she leaves the party after the wedding?
2. What do the woodcutters argue with the moon about when they first meet?
3. What do the moon and the beggar woman want to do together in terms of dealing with the lovers?
4. What do the bride and Leonardo agree to do at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What case does the bride want to make to the mother after the two men have died?
6. How does the neighbor describe the bride to the mother in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What does the beggar woman offer to the groom when he first meets her in the woods?
8. What does the mother say about the day her other son died?
9. What do the woodcutters ask of death when they meet her in the woods in Act 3, Scene 1?
10. What reasons does Leonardo give his wife for going to the blacksmith so frequently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of weapons in the play. What do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of color in the play. What colors are most associated with the play's characters? What importance does color play in the community of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of anger in the play. Which characters show the most anger and what are the motivations behind it?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)