|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Leonardo's wife that he has been riding his horse to the edge of the plain?
2. Whom does the mother question her neighbor about in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. When does the mother say her son and the bride's father can join their land?
4. What does Leonardo cause the girl to do after she tells him about the gifts the son and mother have purchased?
5. Who says, "Whenever I leave you I feel a great emptiness and a kind of lump in my throat"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the bride react after the servant tells her that a man on a horse was at her window?
2. What do the mother and her neighbor talk about when they first enter the house after they have learned of the son's death?
3. What does the bride say towards the servant girls when talking about getting married just after her wedding?
4. How does the bride react when the son asks her about their wedding day during her first meeting with the mother?
5. Why does the mother ask her son if he's wearing a watch after they arrive at his bride's home?
6. How does Leonardo's wife respond to him after he says he almost never uses his horse?
7. What does the bride tell the groom when she leaves the party after the wedding?
8. During the conversation between the bride and Leonardo just before her wedding day, what does Leonardo blame the bride for?
9. What case does the bride want to make to the mother after the two men have died?
10. What do the mother and the bride's father argue about before the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of anger in the play. Which characters show the most anger and what are the motivations behind it?
Essay Topic 2
In the play, both the bride and Leonardo show similar reactions to the bride and son's impending wedding. What is this reaction? What is the author's intent of portraying such similar reactions between these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of color in the play. What colors are most associated with the play's characters? What importance does color play in the community of the play?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)