|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flower does the lullaby use that is directed at the child?
2. How long does Leonardo tell his wife he has been replacing his horse's shoes?
3. Who sees the horse "in a lather"?
4. What does the mother say she wishes to do with her granddaughters?
5. What does the mother say to her son just before he leaves her house in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leonardo's wife react when she hears her cousin is to be married?
2. Who does Leonardo's wife tell Leonardo that she fears she will end up like and in what way does she feel this similarity?
3. What does the bride tell the groom when she leaves the party after the wedding?
4. What do the son/groom and Leonardo's wife talk about after the wedding?
5. How does the servant describe to the bride's father how Leonardo and his wife arrived from the church after the wedding?
6. What do Leonardo and his wife argue about before leaving for the church?
7. What reasons does Leonardo give his wife for being rude to the girl who tells them about the son buying gifts for the bride?
8. What reasons do the mother and son give to the bride's father when he asks why they took the long way around to his home?
9. What does the mother-in-law talk to her daughter about when they arrive at the house after the deaths of Leonardo and the son?
10. Why does the mother not kiss her son goodbye before he leaves in Act 1, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony of Leonardo's betrayal of his wife. What are the possible permanent repercussions she must deal with because of her husband's choices?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of weapons in the play. What do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters' struggles with being an individual versus being a member of society. What visible boundaries do the characters have for trying to do both?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)