|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leonardo tell his wife he has been going on his horse in Scene 2?
2. What reason does the son give his mother to explain why there are no trees on his bride's land?
3. What does the bride do to the servant when she picks up one of the gifts?
4. What type of drink does Leonardo's wife offer him?
5. What does the neighbor say the children are worn out from at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Leonardo give his wife for being rude to the girl who tells them about the son buying gifts for the bride?
2. How does the servant describe to the bride's father how Leonardo and his wife arrived from the church after the wedding?
3. What case does the bride want to make to the mother after the two men have died?
4. Why does the mother not kiss her son goodbye before he leaves in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. How does Leonardo treat his wife after his mother-in-law mentions he once dated her cousin?
6. After Leonardo gives his excuse for being out on his horse, what does his wife begin doing?
7. What prompts the son to ask his mother, "Would you like me to kill them"?
8. What does the mother say about the bride after she has discovered she ran off with Leonardo?
9. What does the beggar woman offer to the groom when he first meets her in the woods?
10. What do the son/groom and Leonardo's wife talk about after the wedding?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the play's portrayal of mourning. How do the characters in the play mourn similarly and differently? What does mourning bring to these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of isolation in the play. Who are the most isolated characters? What causes their isolation? What is the author's purpose for portraying isolation in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the mother and son's view of forgiveness. How does each character handle their issues from the past? What role does forgiveness play when dealing with these issues?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)