|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "You have to punish it, torture it, to get anything!"?
2. How long does Leonardo date his wife's cousin?
3. How many years does the mother say it has been since she has left her home?
4. In the lullaby sung by Leonardo's wife and mother-in-law, what is the animal afraid of?
5. Who tells Leonardo's wife that he has been riding his horse to the edge of the plain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What case does the bride want to make to the mother after the two men have died?
2. What do the woodcutters argue with the moon about when they first meet?
3. What prompts the son to ask his mother, "Would you like me to kill them"?
4. Why does the mother become so angry when her son asks for a knife to cut some grapes?
5. Why does the mother say she wishes her son was a girl?
6. What do the woodcutters ask of death when they meet her in the woods in Act 3, Scene 1?
7. What reason does the bride give her servant for not wanting to get married?
8. What do the son/groom and Leonardo's wife talk about after the wedding?
9. How does the mother react when the neighbor tells her that her husband and son are better off where they are in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. What questions does Leonardo asks the bride while they are hiding in the woods, and what does this say about their escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of horses in the play. What do they represent? Are horses used to personify certain characters?
Essay Topic 2
In the play, both the bride and Leonardo show similar reactions to the bride and son's impending wedding. What is this reaction? What is the author's intent of portraying such similar reactions between these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of Leonardo's wife's fate. In what ways will she be forever affected by her husband's choices? What character will her life most resemble now that Leonardo is out of the picture?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)