|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When describing a man coming home dead, what item does the mother mention is placed across his breast?
2. What item does the mother ask her son if he is wearing?
3. What positive attributes does the bride's father not mention about her?
4. Who is described as "Beautiful, A glow in her face..."?
5. Who sees the horse "in a lather"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the mother refuse to leave her home to live with her son?
2. Why does the mother become so angry when her son asks for a knife to cut some grapes?
3. After the wife shows surprise at hearing that Leonardo has been taking his horse across the plain, how does Leonardo react towards her?
4. How does Leonardo treat his wife after his mother-in-law mentions he once dated her cousin?
5. What does the bride tell the groom when she leaves the party after the wedding?
6. What does the bride's father say about the mother's land when they first meet?
7. Who does Leonardo's wife tell Leonardo that she fears she will end up like and in what way does she feel this similarity?
8. What does the mother-in-law talk to her daughter about when they arrive at the house after the deaths of Leonardo and the son?
9. What do the woodcutters argue with the moon about when they first meet?
10. In Act 1, Scene 2 when the messenger girl comes to the house telling of the gifts the son has bought for his bride, how does the mother-in-law react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of woman's roles in society in the play. Do any of the female characters stray from this role? If so, what are the ramifications for their desire to play a different role?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters' struggles with being an individual versus being a member of society. What visible boundaries do the characters have for trying to do both?
Essay Topic 3
In the play, both the bride and Leonardo show similar reactions to the bride and son's impending wedding. What is this reaction? What is the author's intent of portraying such similar reactions between these two characters?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)