|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the baby do after the lullaby is finished?
2. Who is the mother talking about when she says, "He'd have found water. In our three years he planted ten cherry trees"?
3. What is the family name of the men who kill the mother's husband and son?
4. How long does Leonardo tell his wife he has been replacing his horse's shoes?
5. Where is the son going when he asks his mother for a knife?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the conversation between the bride and Leonardo just before her wedding day, what does Leonardo blame the bride for?
2. How does the bride react when the son asks her about their wedding day during her first meeting with the mother?
3. Why does the mother say she wishes her son was a girl?
4. What reason does the bride give her servant for not wanting to get married?
5. How does the neighbor describe the bride to the mother in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. Describe the encounter between the girls and the beggar woman when she first arrives at the house in Act 3, Scene 2.
7. How does the mother react when she learns her son's bride once dated a member of the Felix family?
8. In Act 1, Scene 2 when the messenger girl comes to the house telling of the gifts the son has bought for his bride, how does the mother-in-law react?
9. What are some of the complaints the mother makes about the bride's land?
10. How does the mother act towards the bride when she first enters the house after the mens' deaths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, both the bride and Leonardo show similar reactions to the bride and son's impending wedding. What is this reaction? What is the author's intent of portraying such similar reactions between these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony of Leonardo's betrayal of his wife. What are the possible permanent repercussions she must deal with because of her husband's choices?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the play's portrayal of mourning. How do the characters in the play mourn similarly and differently? What does mourning bring to these characters?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)