|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is the lullaby about that is sung in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What reason does the son give his mother to explain why there are no trees on his bride's land?
3. What animal does the father suggest the son use to bring his vineyard to his land?
4. Whom does the mother question her neighbor about in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What does the bride's father claim wouldn't grow on his land at one time, but now does?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mother react towards the bride's pleas to her after the two mens' deaths?
2. What do the woodcutters argue with the moon about when they first meet?
3. What does Leonardo tell the bride they're pretending by claiming to forget about their love and move on to other people? What has this really caused to happen?
4. What does the bride say towards the servant girls when talking about getting married just after her wedding?
5. What reason does the bride give her servant for not wanting to get married?
6. How does Leonardo treat his wife after his mother-in-law mentions he once dated her cousin?
7. In Act 1, Scene 2 when the messenger girl comes to the house telling of the gifts the son has bought for his bride, how does the mother-in-law react?
8. What reasons does Leonardo give his wife for being rude to the girl who tells them about the son buying gifts for the bride?
9. What excuse does Leonardo give his mother-in-law for being out so long on his horse in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. How does Leonardo's wife respond to him after he says he almost never uses his horse?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters' struggles with being an individual versus being a member of society. What visible boundaries do the characters have for trying to do both?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of anger in the play. Which characters show the most anger and what are the motivations behind it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of color in the play. What colors are most associated with the play's characters? What importance does color play in the community of the play?
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)