|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mother describing in the following text: "They let them eat there, and smoke, and make music if they want to!"?
2. What item does not appear on the gift that the son buys for his bride?
3. Who sees the horse "in a lather"?
4. When describing a man coming home dead, what item does the mother mention is placed across his breast?
5. Whom does the mother question her neighbor about in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the mother ask her son if he's wearing a watch after they arrive at his bride's home?
2. Why does the mother become so angry when her son asks for a knife to cut some grapes?
3. What do Leonardo and his wife argue about before leaving for the church?
4. How does Leonardo treat his wife after his mother-in-law mentions he once dated her cousin?
5. How does the mother react towards the bride's pleas to her after the two mens' deaths?
6. What does the mother-in-law talk to her daughter about when they arrive at the house after the deaths of Leonardo and the son?
7. How does the servant describe to the bride's father how Leonardo and his wife arrived from the church after the wedding?
8. How does Leonardo's wife react when she hears her cousin is to be married?
9. What excuse does Leonardo give his mother-in-law for being out so long on his horse in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. During the conversation between the bride and Leonardo just before her wedding day, what does Leonardo blame the bride for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of isolation in the play. Who are the most isolated characters? What causes their isolation? What is the author's purpose for portraying isolation in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony of Leonardo's wife's fate. In what ways will she be forever affected by her husband's choices? What character will her life most resemble now that Leonardo is out of the picture?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of anger in the play. Which characters show the most anger and what are the motivations behind it?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)