|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl call Leonardo's wife when she comes to her home in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What does the girl tell Leonardo's wife the son and his mother bought at the store?
3. What does the servant ask the bride to do after the son and mother have left?
4. What is the mother describing in the following text: "They let them eat there, and smoke, and make music if they want to!"?
5. Who is described as "clean as a sheet in the sun"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mother-in-law talk to her daughter about when they arrive at the house after the deaths of Leonardo and the son?
2. What are some of the complaints the mother makes about the bride's land?
3. How does the mother react when the neighbor tells her that her husband and son are better off where they are in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What does Leonardo tell the bride they're pretending by claiming to forget about their love and move on to other people? What has this really caused to happen?
5. During the conversation between the bride and Leonardo just before her wedding day, what does Leonardo blame the bride for?
6. Why does the mother say she wishes her son was a girl?
7. Why does the mother refuse to leave her home to live with her son?
8. Why does the bride come out of her room and confront Leonardo just before her wedding?
9. How does the bride's father react when the mother says her son can sell her land when she has died?
10. In Act 1, Scene 2 when the messenger girl comes to the house telling of the gifts the son has bought for his bride, how does the mother-in-law react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters' struggles with being an individual versus being a member of society. What visible boundaries do the characters have for trying to do both?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony of Leonardo's betrayal of his wife. What are the possible permanent repercussions she must deal with because of her husband's choices?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the strained relationships in the play. What is the relationship between the characters that shows the most strain? What are the reasons or motivations for their strain?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)