|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mother describing in the following text: "They let them eat there, and smoke, and make music if they want to!"?
2. What item does Leonardo tell his wife he has been weighing while he is away with his horse?
3. Where is the son going when he asks his mother for a knife?
4. What reason does the mother give for a dish of salt being included in a coffin?
5. Who says, "He's down there stretched out, with his eyeballs bulging..."?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mother react when she learns her son's bride once dated a member of the Felix family?
2. What does the bride ask of the groom just before they are to be married?
3. What do Leonardo and the bride discuss while they are hiding in the woods in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. Why does the mother ask her son if he's wearing a watch after they arrive at his bride's home?
5. Why does the bride come out of her room and confront Leonardo just before her wedding?
6. Describe the mourning scene at the end of the play.
7. How does Leonardo's wife react when she hears her cousin is to be married?
8. What do the mother and the bride's father argue about before the wedding?
9. After Leonardo gives his excuse for being out on his horse, what does his wife begin doing?
10. Why does the mother refuse to leave her home to live with her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the play's portrayal of mourning. How do the characters in the play mourn similarly and differently? What does mourning bring to these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the mother and son's view of forgiveness. How does each character handle their issues from the past? What role does forgiveness play when dealing with these issues?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of Leonardo's betrayal of his wife. What are the possible permanent repercussions she must deal with because of her husband's choices?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)