|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bride's father claim wouldn't grow on his land at one time, but now does?
2. What is the mother describing in the following text: "They let them eat there, and smoke, and make music if they want to!"?
3. What does the servant bring on the platters to serve to the mother, son and father?
4. Who says, "I've always done a man's work"?
5. What does the girl tell Leonardo's wife the son and his mother bought at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Leonardo and the bride discuss while they are hiding in the woods in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. After the wife shows surprise at hearing that Leonardo has been taking his horse across the plain, how does Leonardo react towards her?
3. What does the beggar woman offer to the groom when he first meets her in the woods?
4. How does the mother act towards the bride when she first enters the house after the mens' deaths?
5. What prompts the son to ask his mother, "Would you like me to kill them"?
6. Why does the bride come out of her room and confront Leonardo just before her wedding?
7. What do the groom and the youth discuss in the forest in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. What do the bride and Leonardo agree to do at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
9. What do the woodcutters argue with the moon about when they first meet?
10. What does the bride say towards the servant girls when talking about getting married just after her wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of color in the play. What colors are most associated with the play's characters? What importance does color play in the community of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters' struggles with being an individual versus being a member of society. What visible boundaries do the characters have for trying to do both?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the strained relationships in the play. What is the relationship between the characters that shows the most strain? What are the reasons or motivations for their strain?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)