|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leonardo tell his mother-in-law his horse has been after she comments that it looks very tired?
2. What does the mother claim the son "never touches"?
3. Who said, "You have to punish it, torture it, to get anything!"?
4. In the lullaby sung by Leonardo's wife and mother-in-law, what is the animal afraid of?
5. What does the baby do after the lullaby is finished?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the mother say she wishes her son was a girl?
2. How does the mother react towards the bride's pleas to her after the two mens' deaths?
3. What do the mother and the bride's father argue about before the wedding?
4. What reasons does Leonardo give his wife for going to the blacksmith so frequently?
5. What do the mother and her neighbor talk about when they first enter the house after they have learned of the son's death?
6. How does the mother-in-law tell her daughter to mourn Leonardo?
7. How does the servant describe to the bride's father how Leonardo and his wife arrived from the church after the wedding?
8. After Leonardo gives his excuse for being out on his horse, what does his wife begin doing?
9. What do the bride and Leonardo agree to do at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
10. What are some of the positive things the father says about his daughter to the son and his mother when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of woman's roles in society in the play. Do any of the female characters stray from this role? If so, what are the ramifications for their desire to play a different role?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of blood in the play. What does blood mean to the characters in terms of marriage and family? What about love?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the male characters' views of marriage in the play. Compare and contrast these views and analyze the importance of the differences shown between the male characters.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)