|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mother tell her son to buy his fiancée?
2. Who is described as "clean as a sheet in the sun"?
3. What does the girl call Leonardo's wife when she comes to her home in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does the neighbor tell the mother to keep her mouth shut about?
5. Who is the mother talking about when she says, "He'd have found water. In our three years he planted ten cherry trees"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mother-in-law talk to her daughter about when they arrive at the house after the deaths of Leonardo and the son?
2. What do the bride and Leonardo agree to do at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Who does Leonardo's wife tell Leonardo that she fears she will end up like and in what way does she feel this similarity?
4. What excuse does Leonardo give his mother-in-law for being out so long on his horse in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What questions does Leonardo asks the bride while they are hiding in the woods, and what does this say about their escape?
6. What do Leonardo and his wife argue about before leaving for the church?
7. How does the mother react towards the bride's pleas to her after the two mens' deaths?
8. What do the groom and the youth discuss in the forest in Act 3, Scene 1?
9. Describe the encounter between the girls and the beggar woman when she first arrives at the house in Act 3, Scene 2.
10. How does the bride react when the son asks her about their wedding day during her first meeting with the mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of trees in the play. What do they represent? What purpose do they play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the lullaby in Act 1, Scene 2. What purpose does the lullaby play? What significance does reciting the lullaby twice have?
Essay Topic 3
In the play, both the bride and Leonardo show similar reactions to the bride and son's impending wedding. What is this reaction? What is the author's intent of portraying such similar reactions between these two characters?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)