|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "I've always done a man's work"?
(a) The son.
(b) The bride.
(d) The bride's father.
2. What does the mother tell her son she wishes he was in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) A mother.
(b) A father.
(c) A woman.
(d) A child.
3. What does the neighbor say the children are worn out from at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
(b) Taking water out to the harvesters.
(c) Planting vegetables.
(d) Playing all day.
4. Who is described as "fresh as a dahlia"?
(a) Leonardo's baby.
(c) Leonardo's wife.
(d) The bride.
5. When does the mother say her son and the bride's father can join their land?
(a) In twenty years.
(b) When she is dead.
(c) After they are married.
(d) In five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the play?
2. What does the mother's neighbor say is responsible for cutting off a young neighborhood boy's arms?
3. Who said, "You have to punish it, torture it, to get anything!"?
4. What is the family name of the men who kill the mother's husband and son?
5. What is the cot in the lullaby made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions does Leonardo asks the bride while they are hiding in the woods, and what does this say about their escape?
2. Who does Leonardo's wife tell Leonardo that she fears she will end up like and in what way does she feel this similarity?
3. What does Leonardo tell the bride they're pretending by claiming to forget about their love and move on to other people? What has this really caused to happen?
4. Why does the mother become so angry when her son asks for a knife to cut some grapes?
5. Why does the bride come out of her room and confront Leonardo just before her wedding?
6. What reason does the bride give her servant for not wanting to get married?
7. Describe the mourning scene at the end of the play.
8. Why does the mother not kiss her son goodbye before he leaves in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. During the conversation between the bride and Leonardo just before her wedding day, what does Leonardo blame the bride for?
10. How does the servant describe to the bride's father how Leonardo and his wife arrived from the church after the wedding?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)