|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the items the mother mentions her husband grew, which one "dried up"?
(a) His flowers.
(b) The bushes.
(c) The Juniper plant.
(d) His trees.
2. When does the mother say her son and the bride's father can join their land?
(a) In twenty years.
(b) When she is dead.
(c) After they are married.
(d) In five years.
3. Who says, "I've always done a man's work"?
(a) The son.
(b) The bride.
(d) The bride's father.
4. What area does the mother tell her son to tend to because he has neglected it?
(a) The graveyard.
(b) The vineyard.
(c) The land around the mill.
(d) The garden.
5. Who is described as a "tall, stern woman"?
(a) The mother.
(b) The mother-in-law.
(c) The bride.
(d) Leonardo's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the lullaby sung by Leonardo's wife and mother-in-law begin?
2. What flower does the mother say her husband smells like?
3. What does the bride do to the servant when she picks up one of the gifts?
4. What does Leonardo cause the girl to do after she tells him about the gifts the son and mother have purchased?
5. What does the baby do after the lullaby is finished?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the wife shows surprise at hearing that Leonardo has been taking his horse across the plain, how does Leonardo react towards her?
2. Who does Leonardo's wife tell Leonardo that she fears she will end up like and in what way does she feel this similarity?
3. How does the mother react when the neighbor tells her that her husband and son are better off where they are in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Why does the mother ask her son if he's wearing a watch after they arrive at his bride's home?
5. What do the bride and Leonardo agree to do at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
6. What reasons do the mother and son give to the bride's father when he asks why they took the long way around to his home?
7. How does the mother react when the neighbor says the bride's mother did not love her husband?
8. What are some of the complaints the mother makes about the bride's land?
9. What reasons does Leonardo give his wife for being rude to the girl who tells them about the son buying gifts for the bride?
10. Why does the mother say she wishes her son was a girl?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)