|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the mother talking about when she says, "He'd have found water. In our three years he planted ten cherry trees"?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her dead husband.
(c) Her dead son.
(d) The bride's father.
2. Who sees the horse "in a lather"?
(a) Leonardo's wife.
(b) The bride.
(c) The mother-in-law.
(d) The girl.
3. What does the baby do after the lullaby is finished?
4. What is the father talking about when he says, "Every sprig a coin of silver"?
(a) His land.
(b) The mother's vineyard.
5. What color is the room where the mother and son argue in Scene 1?
6. How old does the neighbor say the son's fiancée is when she dates her last suitor?
7. What does the girl call Leonardo's wife when she comes to her home in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. Who says, "She might be right. That girl has depths"?
(a) The mother-in-law.
(b) The son.
(c) Leonardo's wife.
9. What flower does the lullaby use that is directed at the child?
10. Who says, "I'm happy. When I say 'yes', I say it because I mean it"?
(b) The mother.
(c) The son.
(d) The bride.
11. What does the neighbor say the children are worn out from at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Playing all day.
(b) Taking water out to the harvesters.
(c) Planting vegetables.
12. How old is Leonardo when the mother's husband and son are killed?
13. How does Leonardo ask for his drink to be prepared?
(d) Icy cold.
14. What item does not appear on the gift that the son buys for his bride?
15. What does Leonardo's wife ask that he buy for their baby?
(a) A dress.
(b) A cradle.
(d) A cap with ribbons.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the lullaby sung by Leonardo's wife and mother-in-law begin?
2. When describing a man coming home dead, what item does the mother mention is placed across his breast?
3. What reason does the son give his mother to explain why there are no trees on his bride's land?
4. Where does Leonardo tell his mother-in-law his horse has been after she comments that it looks very tired?
5. What color are the "long rooms" in the lullaby?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)