|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the son give his mother to explain why there are no trees on his bride's land?
(a) They do not know how to plant trees.
(b) They don't want trees.
(c) There is no man to plant trees.
(d) It's dry.
2. Where is the son going when he asks his mother for a knife?
(a) To the city.
(b) To a neighbor's home.
(c) To his home.
(d) The vineyards.
3. What is the cover in the lullaby made of?
4. What does the mother offer to give her son's fiancée?
(a) A necklace.
(b) Brass earrings.
(c) A diamond ring.
(d) A dress.
5. Why does the neighbor tell the mother that she dislikes the bride's mother?
(a) Because she was mean.
(b) Because she had no love for her husband.
(c) Because she didn't love her children.
(d) Because she wouldn't speak to anyone.
6. What does the mother claim the son "never touches"?
7. What does the bride's father claim wouldn't grow on his land at one time, but now does?
8. Who says, "Whenever I leave you I feel a great emptiness and a kind of lump in my throat"?
(a) The mother.
(b) The son.
(c) The bride.
(d) The bride's father.
9. What flower does the lullaby use that is directed at the child?
10. What color are the "long rooms" in the lullaby?
11. Who tells Leonardo's wife that he has been riding his horse to the edge of the plain?
(a) The blacksmith.
(b) The woman who gathers capers.
(c) The young girl.
(d) The bride.
12. What area does the mother tell her son to tend to because he has neglected it?
(a) The vineyard.
(b) The graveyard.
(c) The land around the mill.
(d) The garden.
13. How long does Leonardo date his wife's cousin?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 years.
14. What item does the mother ask her son if he is wearing?
(a) His tie.
(b) His hat.
(c) His coat.
(d) His watch.
15. How old does the neighbor say the son's fiancée is when she dates her last suitor?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bride do to the servant when she picks up one of the gifts?
2. What flower does the mother say her husband smells like?
3. Which weapon does the mother not mention in her rant?
4. Who says, "She might be right. That girl has depths"?
5. What is the mother describing in the following text: "They let them eat there, and smoke, and make music if they want to!"?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)