|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the line from the lullaby: "With a branch of dreams, and a dream of ____".
2. What does Leonardo cause the girl to do after she tells him about the gifts the son and mother have purchased?
3. What does the mother's neighbor say is responsible for cutting off a young neighborhood boy's arms?
(a) A car.
(b) A tractor.
(c) A machine.
(d) A knife.
4. What does the mother say to her son just before he leaves her house in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Peace be with you.
(b) See you soon.
(c) Go with God.
(d) I love you.
5. Who is the mother talking about when she says, "He'd have found water. In our three years he planted ten cherry trees"?
(a) The bride's father.
(b) Her dead son.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her dead husband.
6. What area does the mother tell her son to tend to because he has neglected it?
(a) The garden.
(b) The graveyard.
(c) The land around the mill.
(d) The vineyard.
7. In the lullaby sung by Leonardo's wife and mother-in-law, what is the animal afraid of?
8. Who does the mother reminisce about by noting that he is now the same age as the bride would be on her wedding day?
(a) Her dead son.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her grandchild.
9. What flower does the mother say her husband smells like?
10. How old does the neighbor say the son's fiancée is when she dates her last suitor?
11. What does the girl call Leonardo's wife when she comes to her home in Act 1, Scene 2?
12. Who says, "I've always done a man's work"?
(a) The son.
(b) The bride.
(c) The bride's father.
13. What reason does the neighbor give the mother when she leaves?
(a) Because the mother wants her to.
(b) Because the men will be in from the fields soon.
(c) Because she is tired.
(d) Because she needs to cook.
14. Who says, "He's down there stretched out, with his eyeballs bulging..."?
(a) Leonardo's wife.
(b) The bride.
(c) The mother-in-law.
(d) The mother.
15. What question does Leonardo's wife ask him that makes him angry?
(a) Do you know my cousin's getting engaged?
(b) Why are you late?
(c) Where have you been?
(d) Why is the horse so tired?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the lullaby sung by Leonardo's wife and mother-in-law begin?
2. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
3. Who says, "I'm happy. When I say 'yes', I say it because I mean it"?
4. What item does Leonardo tell his wife he has been weighing while he is away with his horse?
5. How long does Leonardo date his wife's cousin?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)