|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mother's neighbor say is responsible for cutting off a young neighborhood boy's arms?
(a) A knife.
(b) A car.
(c) A machine.
(d) A tractor.
2. Where does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) The vineyard.
(b) The mother's house.
(c) The son's house.
(d) Leonardo's house.
3. What item does not appear on the gift that the son buys for his bride?
4. What is the neighbor wearing on her head when she comes to visit the mother?
(a) A scarf.
(c) A wreath.
(d) A hat.
5. What flower does the mother say her husband smells like?
6. What reason does the son give his mother to explain why there are no trees on his bride's land?
(a) There is no man to plant trees.
(b) It's dry.
(c) They do not know how to plant trees.
(d) They don't want trees.
7. Who tells Leonardo's wife that he has been riding his horse to the edge of the plain?
(a) The young girl.
(b) The bride.
(c) The blacksmith.
(d) The woman who gathers capers.
8. What does the mother offer to give her son's fiancée?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A dress.
(c) Brass earrings.
(d) A diamond ring.
9. Where does Leonardo tell his wife he has been going on his horse in Scene 2?
(a) The blacksmith.
(b) The field.
(c) A friend's home.
(d) The grocer.
10. What item does Leonardo tell his wife he has been weighing while he is away with his horse?
11. What animal is the lullaby about that is sung in Act 1, Scene 2?
12. Who says, "Whenever I leave you I feel a great emptiness and a kind of lump in my throat"?
(a) The bride's father.
(b) The son.
(c) The mother.
(d) The bride.
13. Who is described as "Beautiful, A glow in her face..."?
(a) The bride's mother.
(b) The neighbor.
(c) The bride.
(d) The mother.
14. What does Leonardo's wife ask that he buy for their baby?
(b) A dress.
(c) A cradle.
(d) A cap with ribbons.
15. How long does Leonardo date his wife's cousin?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 6 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the items the mother mentions her husband grew, which one "dried up"?
2. How long does Leonardo tell his wife he has been replacing his horse's shoes?
3. What is the cot in the lullaby made of?
4. What does Leonardo cause the girl to do after she tells him about the gifts the son and mother have purchased?
5. What is the cover in the lullaby made of?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)