|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Whenever I leave you I feel a great emptiness and a kind of lump in my throat"?
(a) The son.
(b) The bride's father.
(c) The bride.
(d) The mother.
2. Of the items the mother mentions her husband grew, which one "dried up"?
(a) His flowers.
(b) The bushes.
(c) His trees.
(d) The Juniper plant.
3. How long does Leonardo tell his wife he has been replacing his horse's shoes?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 1 year.
4. What is the neighbor wearing on her head when she comes to visit the mother?
(b) A scarf.
(c) A wreath.
(d) A hat.
5. Why does the neighbor tell the mother that she dislikes the bride's mother?
(a) Because she was mean.
(b) Because she had no love for her husband.
(c) Because she wouldn't speak to anyone.
(d) Because she didn't love her children.
6. How does Leonardo ask for his drink to be prepared?
(a) Icy cold.
7. What does the neighbor tell the mother to keep her mouth shut about?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her family that has died.
(c) That her son's fiancée once dated a member of the Felix family.
(d) The boy whose arms were cut off.
8. How old will the bride be turning when she is married?
9. Who does the mother reminisce about by noting that he is now the same age as the bride would be on her wedding day?
(a) Her grandchild.
(b) Her dead son.
(d) Her son.
10. What reason does the son give his mother to explain why there are no trees on his bride's land?
(a) They do not know how to plant trees.
(b) There is no man to plant trees.
(c) They don't want trees.
(d) It's dry.
11. What is the mother describing in the following text: "They let them eat there, and smoke, and make music if they want to!"?
(a) The city.
(b) Her home.
(d) The vineyards.
12. In the lullaby sung by Leonardo's wife and mother-in-law, what is the animal afraid of?
13. What is the name of the boy whose arms are cut off?
14. What area does the mother tell her son to tend to because he has neglected it?
(a) The garden.
(b) The land around the mill.
(c) The vineyard.
(d) The graveyard.
15. Who is described as "a very nice young woman"?
(a) The fiancee's mother.
(b) The bride.
(c) The mother.
(d) The neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mother's neighbor say is responsible for cutting off a young neighborhood boy's arms?
2. Who is described as "fresh as a dahlia"?
3. How does the lullaby sung by Leonardo's wife and mother-in-law begin?
4. What does the mother say she wishes to do with her granddaughters?
5. What reason does the mother give for a dish of salt being included in a coffin?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)