|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hours does Stephen and a helicopter pilot wait to be rescued after being hit around Dong Tam?
2. How long is Robert Mountain in the hospital while his stump heals?
3. How long after Robert Daniels joins the army does he go to Vietnam?
4. What college does Robert Mountain attend before and after the war?
5. When does Joseph go to Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Archie say that southerners would feel when they learn there was a black officer in charge of them?
2. What does Archie's regiment find after they have been following a trail for twelve days in the jungle?
3. Who are the two soldiers that are killed under Archie's command?
4. Why does Arthur Woodley kill another GI in February 1969?
5. What happens to the platoon that Joseph and his men have to find that is dropped into a landing zone called LZ Pink in the Central Highlands?
6. How does Don feel when the North Vietnamese began taking over South Vietnam?
7. What hurts Archie when he returns to the United States?
8. Who does Stephen look for to follow when fighting is heavy?
9. What is Robert Mountain's training like at Fort Benning?
10. How is Norman able to attend college and become an office in the Air Force?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast the courage and cowardice of the soldiers.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether the training that the soldiers received did or did not affect the way that they viewed and treated the Vietnamese. Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the soldiers become numb to the killing and even seem to find some enjoyment in what they did. Argue whether these soldiers do or do not begin to regret their actions either on the field or back at home. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)