|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom Burwell's nickname?
2. What is Louisa doing as she walks to her destination in Chapter 1?
3. Where is Louisa when Bob arrives at their meeting place in Chapter 1?
4. Who represents an opportunity to escape a life of poverty for Louisa?
5. According to Louisa, why does Bob spend more time with her than Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bob incite a mob to go after Tom?
2. What is Toomer's educational background and how is it significant?
3. Why are the men at the campfire afraid of Tom?
4. What is the setting of "Blood-Burning Moon"?
5. How do both Tom and Bob respond to rumors about Louisa and her relationship with the other?
6. What does Tom overhear at the campfire that upsets him?
7. How is Jean Toomer's racial background significant?
8. Who does Louisa want to commit to and why?
9. What does Tom tell Louisa when he finds her after leaving the campfire and how is it significant?
10. What is the tone of "Blood-Burning Moon" as Chapter 1 opens and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ending of "Blood-Burning Moon." Why are the neighbors absent at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss fire as a symbol in the story.
1) Where does fire appear and in what context?
2) What is the meaning of fire?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Harlem Renaissance.
1) Define the Harlem Renaissance.
2) What musicians, artists, and writers are parts of this movement?
3) How was "Cane" a part of the Harlem Renaissance.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)