|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Louisa, why does Bob spend more time with her than Tom?
2. What time of day does the story open?
3. What is Louisa doing as she walks to her destination in Chapter 1?
4. Who is Louisa supposed to meet in an hour as she walks to her destination in Chapter 1?
5. Where is Louisa returning to in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Point of View of "Blood-Burning Moon" and why is it significant?
2. "Cane," the novel from which "Blood-Burning Moon" is included, is credited with ushering in what important social movement?
3. How is the title of "Blood-Burning Moon" symbolic?
4. What does Tom overhear at the campfire that upsets him?
5. Describe the opening scene of "Blood-Burning Moon" and its significance.
6. Who does Louisa want to commit to and why?
7. What is the tone of "Blood-Burning Moon" as Chapter 1 opens and why is it significant?
8. What literary genres does Toomer employ in "Cane" and why is it significant?
9. What is Bob doing as Tom and Louisa talk on her porch and why is it significant?
10. What is Toomer's educational background and how is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ending of "Blood-Burning Moon." Why are the neighbors absent at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss reader reception of "Cane."
1) How do critics respond to the publication of "Cane"?
2) How do Toomer's peers respond to the publication of "Cane"?
3) How does the public respond to the publication of "Cane"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Point of View in "Blood-Burning Moon."
1) What is the difference between omniscient POV and limited POV?
2) What characters do we have access to in terms of their thoughts and feelings?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)