|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men is Louisa involved with?
2. What is Louisa doing as she walks to her destination in Chapter 1?
3. What is the last name of Louisa's employer?
4. What is the name of Louisa's employers' son?
5. Who does Louisa believe she will choose to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Louisa want to commit to and why?
2. Describe the opening scene of "Blood-Burning Moon" and its significance.
3. What does Tom tell Louisa when he finds her after leaving the campfire and how is it significant?
4. What is Tom doing at the campfire as Chapter 2 begins, and how is it significant?
5. How do both Tom and Bob respond to rumors about Louisa and her relationship with the other?
6. What is Bob doing as Tom and Louisa talk on her porch and why is it significant?
7. How is Jean Toomer's racial background significant?
8. "Cane," the novel from which "Blood-Burning Moon" is included, is credited with ushering in what important social movement?
9. What is the setting of "Blood-Burning Moon"?
10. How is the title of "Blood-Burning Moon" symbolic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of "Blood-Burning Moon." Describe the tone and how it affects the story's overall meaning.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Harlem Renaissance.
1) Define the Harlem Renaissance.
2) What musicians, artists, and writers are parts of this movement?
3) How was "Cane" a part of the Harlem Renaissance.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of music in "Blood-Burning Moon."
1) How is music used in the story?
2) What are the songs' tone and/or mood?
3) How does music bring the characters together?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)