|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of view of "Blood-Burning Moon"?
2. What literary genre does Toomer NOT employ in "Blood-Burning Moon"?
3. Who does Louisa believe is about to propose to her in Chapter 1?
4. Where does Louisa work?
5. Where is Louisa when Bob arrives at their meeting place in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom overhear at the campfire that upsets him?
2. What is Bob doing as Tom and Louisa talk on her porch and why is it significant?
3. How does Bob incite a mob to go after Tom?
4. What does Tom tell Louisa when he finds her after leaving the campfire and how is it significant?
5. What is Louisa thinking about as she walks home in the opening scene of Chapter 1 and why is it significant?
6. What is Toomer's educational background and how is it significant?
7. Who does Louisa want to commit to and why?
8. What is Tom doing at the campfire as Chapter 2 begins, and how is it significant?
9. What happens when Bob arrives at Louisa's house and discovers Tom? How is it significant?
10. Why are the men at the campfire afraid of Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of setting in "Blood-Burning Moon" in terms of class and race divisions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ending of "Blood-Burning Moon." Why are the neighbors absent at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of race in the story.
1) How does race influence the characters' actions?
2) What role does race have in the plot?
3) What are the consequences of racism?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)