|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Louisa returning to in Chapter 1?
2. What literary genre does Toomer NOT employ in "Blood-Burning Moon"?
(a) Lyrical narratives.
(b) Prose poems.
3. Who does Louisa believe is about to propose to her in Chapter 1?
(a) No one.
(b) Mr. Stone.
4. Who is Louisa supposed to meet in an hour as she walks to her destination in Chapter 1?
(a) Mrs. Stone.
(d) Mr. Stone.
5. What is the point of view of "Blood-Burning Moon"?
(a) Third person limited.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) Second person.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Louisa, who will tie her more closely to her current life of poverty if she marries this person?
2. How many men is Louisa involved with?
3. What is Tom Burwell's nickname?
4. Who represents an opportunity to escape a life of poverty for Louisa?
5. What is the last name of Louisa's employer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bob doing as Tom and Louisa talk on her porch and why is it significant?
2. What is the setting of "Blood-Burning Moon"?
3. What is the tone of "Blood-Burning Moon" as Chapter 1 opens and why is it significant?
4. How is Jean Toomer's racial background significant?
5. How does Bob incite a mob to go after Tom?
6. What does Tom overhear at the campfire that upsets him?
7. Why is Louisa reluctant to make a decision about which man she should choose?
8. Describe the opening scene of "Blood-Burning Moon" and its significance.
9. What is Toomer's educational background and how is it significant?
10. What literary genres does Toomer employ in "Cane" and why is it significant?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)