|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Louisa, why does Bob spend more time with her than Tom?
(a) Tom has to care for his sick mother.
(b) Tom spends his days away in the fields.
(c) Tom is married to someone else.
(d) Tom lives in another city.
2. What literary genre does Toomer NOT employ in "Blood-Burning Moon"?
(a) Prose poems.
(b) Lyrical narratives.
3. What is the last name of Louisa's employer?
4. What is the title of the novel that "Blood-Burning Moon" appears?
5. Who does Louisa believe is about to propose to her in Chapter 1?
(b) Mr. Stone.
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who represents an opportunity to escape a life of poverty for Louisa?
2. Who does Louisa believe she will choose to marry?
3. According to Louisa, who will tie her more closely to her current life of poverty if she marries this person?
4. Where does Louisa work?
5. Where is Louisa when Bob arrives at their meeting place in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bob incite a mob to go after Tom?
2. Why are the men at the campfire afraid of Tom?
3. What is Toomer's educational background and how is it significant?
4. Why does Bob look back on slavery with nostalgia?
5. "Cane," the novel from which "Blood-Burning Moon" is included, is credited with ushering in what important social movement?
6. What does Tom tell Louisa when he finds her after leaving the campfire and how is it significant?
7. What is Bob doing as Tom and Louisa talk on her porch and why is it significant?
8. How is the title of "Blood-Burning Moon" symbolic?
9. What is the tone of "Blood-Burning Moon" as Chapter 1 opens and why is it significant?
10. Why does the mob lynch Tom?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)